Artic front axle

What is the maximum weight you can load on artic front axle

Topcat1522:

What does it say on the plating certificate?

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Topcat1522:

What does it say on the plating certificate?

Can we please have a ‘like’ button for posts? - this reply says it all.

They are all different, check the plate

Out of interest, what is the query about? Are you looking to up/down plate the vehicle?

Comment removed.

An odd question being as in general on an artic the front axle is at it’s heaviest when empty .

Punchy Dan:
An odd question being as in general on an artic the front axle is at it’s heaviest when empty .

No it isn’t, we’ll not unless the 5th wheel is behind the drive axle.

^^^ ooh, this is gonna run and run :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

acd1202:

Punchy Dan:

No it isn’t, we’ll not unless the 5th wheel is behind the drive axle.

Go weigh some then and report back ,on a 4 wheeler unit yes but on midlift no :wink:

Even on my 6 wheeler with a 3 tonne crane behind the cab the front axle is nearing 8 tonne empty and the back axle/s got the other 8 ,when loaded with 10 tonne cemtrically on the body which happens to be the centre of the bogie the front axle gets lighter to around 7 to 7.5 tonnes .

A sure way is my ERF unit midlift will go in a garage empty and with a loaded trailer the exhaust pipe hits the door way .

We have some long tag axle units the 5th wheels and sliders are as far forward as they will go and they still want to go straight on .

what about wagon and drags ?
do we need to include turntable drags as well as tandem and triaxle drag trailers as well ?

Sorry /not sorry lol

My steer axle (mid lift tractor) weighs 6200 empty and roughly 6400 when fully loaded, in empty state obviously weight off with midlift up, be interesting re Dan’s comment to see what the steer axle weighs empty with the mid lift down, will check soonest.

Juddian:
My steer axle (mid lift tractor) weighs 6200 empty and roughly 6400 when fully loaded, in empty state obviously weight off with midlift up, be interesting re Dan’s comment to see what the steer axle weighs empty with the mid lift down, will check soonest.

Your right there with your figures ,a 4 by 2 unit say 3.8 WHeelbase the front axle goes up by 500 to 1000 depending on 5 th wheel position

Juddian:
be interesting re Dan’s comment to see what the steer axle weighs empty with the mid lift down

Larger

Excellent stuff Cuttlefish. ^^^ and i thought i took axle weights seriously :laughing: , no seriously good on yer mate :sunglasses:

Pretty much in proportion to mine for most weights, though tend to gross at 43t or just over so all weights are up a little on yours, and just like yours the 1st axle of the trailer is always heavier than the other two but never found anyone explain why this.

I assume you like me have a smaller mid lift axle, interesting finding the sweet spot for the fifth wheel when you first get the motor new…edit, no i see your axle gross is same as steer so a full size jobbie, but very interesting just how much lighter the mid lift is loaded, sort of proves that for most operations the small mid lift is worth considering for overall weight saving.
I try and achieve about 10t on the drive axle loaded for grip and stability, usually this sees a mid lift of about or shade under 5t (5250 max without double checking the plate) and about 6400 steer axle, i could lower the mid lift weight and increase the steer axle weight slightly by going another click or two forward on the fifth wheel, but where it is seems a good compromise re stability grip handling and keeping all legal.

Cuttlefish:

Juddian:
be interesting re Dan’s comment to see what the steer axle weighs empty with the mid lift down

Larger

I don’t doubt your figures but those drive axle & 2nd steer weights are fairly light so much so that on a brake test would probably throw up insufficient load .

Juddian:
i thought i took axle weights seriously

The company policy is to weigh every outbound trailer. (Stay under the radar.)

Juddian:
i see your axle gross is same as steer so a full size jobbie

Correct, full size mid lift. If i remember correctly (i weighed it after my original weight thread because that was a double) i went empty outbound and collected 24 pallets of cans/drinks/bottles/beer. It would have been an empty single XL curtain sider with tail lift.

Punchy Dan:
I don’t doubt your figures but those drive axle & 2nd steer weights are fairly light so much so that on a brake test would probably throw up insufficient load .

No idea. The 5th wheel would have been fully forward. I have never measured the length (maybe next time) to know if it could be moved back and be within length. They probably have specificly weighted trailers for MOT.

Juddian:
just like yours the 1st axle of the trailer is always heavier than the other two but never found anyone explain why this.

Often, maybe the unit suspension (computer) shares the weight and the trailer does not/cannot?