Fork Lift Truck Drivers, Don’t Ya just despair?

This may not apply so much to Artic or 8 wheeler flatbed drivers, but im sure there are cases where it does, if so then please lets hear about it, but to us six wheelers we want, ask for the heaviest part of a load to be placed on or about over the two rear axles, keep the load to the rear so that the front axle is not overloaded, remembering the front axle is already carrying the the weight of the engine,
Strongest part of the chasses will be the part that runs over the two rear axles,
GET IT?
So why even after explaining this do FLTD’S still make a beeline for the front of a six-wheeler flatbed? Many sites I go to I have to suffer induction videos about health and safety, only to find their FLTD the most hazardous to my health and safety and of course my licence,

Never have a problem when I have to move materials off site, I tell the forkie what I want to go where, where to start loading, where to stop and how much to put on.

You always keep the Weight over the rear Axles,if Rigid or artic.
If you keep the weight on an Artic over the Trailer Axles the Trailer would have control over you and ends in Jack Knife.
on a Rigid you have anywhy Engine and gearbox over Front Axle.

I used to get this until I refused to move the truck. Explained that the safety of the vehicle and load were down to me not some forkie and I wouldnt shift it until it was done right :slight_smile:

Regarding load distribution -
It all depends on what sort of load is being carried and how it can be put without overloading any axle.

Most artics prefer to off load from rear to front but tend to put more of the load towards the rear so that as it comes off at many drops, the front is not overloaded.

I used to do the same with a 6 wheeler rigid - 3 stacks of 8’ long sheet steel on a 27’ bed with load totalling 16 tonnes - rear 6t middle 6t front 4t and then offload from rear to front - never got any axles overloaded that way and that 16 tonnes was usually 5 or 6 drops.