RHA’s 12 Point Plan To Get More Drivers

But none of the points mention better wages or terms and conditions, which could possibly help their members to encourage non driving HGV licence holders back on the road.
I have no intention of driving a truck for the hourly rate of £9-10 per hour that is being offered in my area.

The RHA’s 12-point plan covers the following:

Include HGV drivers on Government’s Skilled Worker Shortage Occupation List
Coronavirus recovery - a Seasonal Visa Scheme for qualified HGV drivers
Continued priority driving tests for HGV drivers
Establish a ‘Return to HGV Driving’ scheme
Better promotion of the job and the sector as a whole
Apprenticeship funding gap for C+E drivers in England and Wales
Apprenticeships for Class C drivers
A SME-focussed HGV driver training scheme HGV independent training loan scheme
An independent HGV independent training loan scheme
Other training schemes – DWP pilots/Road to Logistics
Increase productivity of the road network
Improve site productivity and the treatment of drivers at collection and delivery points

Stunning lack of self awareness
from the RHA

I guess if they were honest about driver perceptions it would further contribute to retention and recruitment issues

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

weeto:
But none of the points mention better wages or terms and conditions, which could possibly help their members to encourage non driving HGV licence holders back on the road.
I have no intention of driving a truck for the hourly rate of £9-10 per hour that is being offered in my area.

The RHA’s 12-point plan covers the following:

Include HGV drivers on Government’s Skilled Worker Shortage Occupation List
Coronavirus recovery - a Seasonal Visa Scheme for qualified HGV drivers
Continued priority driving tests for HGV drivers
Establish a ‘Return to HGV Driving’ scheme
Better promotion of the job and the sector as a whole
Apprenticeship funding gap for C+E drivers in England and Wales
Apprenticeships for Class C drivers
A SME-focussed HGV driver training scheme HGV independent training loan scheme
An independent HGV independent training loan scheme
Other training schemes – DWP pilots/Road to Logistics
Increase productivity of the road network
Improve site productivity and the treatment of drivers at collection and delivery points

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That is some funny [zb]. I don’t see any mention of solving the REAL PROBLEM - just put the [zb]ing money up to an attractive rate and companies will find themselves with a queue of willing bums to steer their trucks. Oh wait, can’t do that, can we, because we were dumb and got embroiled in the race to the bottom to win contracts at any cost and now that we have to pay £20/hr to get agency bums because all our cheap flip-flops have gone home to Bucharest, we are running at a loss. Well ■■■■■ to be you! You reap what you sow! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Monkey241:
from the RHA

Absolutely…

But they’ve always been like this. Miles away from understanding what the real issues are.

Mo’ money.

Less hours.

Better facilities (somewhere safe, secure and with facilities to park at)

Those things haven’t changed in 5 decades.

yourhavingalarf:

Monkey241:
from the RHA

Absolutely…

But they’ve always been like this. Miles away from understanding what the real issues are.

Mo’ money.

Less hours.

Better facilities (somewhere safe, secure and with facilities to park at)

Those things haven’t changed in 5 decades.

Agreed.

For me the issue is hours and lack of respect from management

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

!0 point plan of total pish.
Raise the pay, substantially.

They really don’t have a bloody clue, who the hell dreamed that lot of utterly pointless ■■■■■■■■ up.

Pay people a decent rate that doesn’t mean they need to work 1.7 weeks worth of hours for a weeks pay.
Treat them with respect if they’re competent.
Don’t tar good people with the same brush as the half wits you had to take on when you dumbed the job down because you actually believed you own bullshine that top class drivers were queueing up to work for you.
Come to some agreements about shift start times and days/hours of work, drivers are not robots they are individuals who have likes and preferences, better to have people happy on the shifts they are covering.
Treat them as you would expect them to be treated if the reverse was the case, please and thankyou go a long way.
Be supportive, if the delivery point mess your drivers about deal with it.
Provide proepr training on vehicles, don’t just throw the keys and assume the driver, who may never have seen the vehicle type before, is going to self familiarise in 2 minutes and be out the gate in the 18 mins you foolishly think checks etc can bo completed in.

Lastly, stop with this issuing a different vehicle every day, if you have regular drivers issue them a vehicle, ok others will drive it when off shift but you get the best from drivers who are allowed to take a pride in their work and vehicle, issuing good reliable people with some battered smoked in wreck whilst you hand the keys over to brand new high spec tackle to some tramp lookandsmellalike agency bod won’t get you the cooperation you want.
Also with the last point provide equipment for washing of vehicles and the necssary to keep the interiors and windows clean.

Everyone let the RHA know what you think as a driver.

rha.uk.net/About/Get-in-Touch

Conor:

Why? The RHA are there for companies, not drivers. It’s all meaningless sound bites to look like they’re doing something. They don’t give a singular ■■■■ about truck drivers. They will do whatever the owners of Stobrat, DHL Logistics, Culina, Wincanton, XPO tell them to do to “solve” the bum on seat problem, which will be some brown envelopes to their cronies in government to create “exemptions” for Romanian’s and Pole’s to return here to work for peanuts. That’s how it works in the real world.

DCPCFML:

Conor:

Why? The RHA are there for companies, not drivers. It’s all meaningless sound bites to look like they’re doing something. They don’t give a singular [zb] about truck drivers. They will do whatever the owners of Stobrat, DHL Logistics, Culina, Wincanton, XPO tell them to do to “solve” the bum on seat problem, which will be some brown envelopes to their cronies in government to create “exemptions” for Romanian’s and Pole’s to return here to work for peanuts. That’s how it works in the real world.

What evidence do you have to claim Eastern European hgv drivers work for peanuts?

weeto:

DCPCFML:

Conor:

Why? The RHA are there for companies, not drivers. It’s all meaningless sound bites to look like they’re doing something. They don’t give a singular [zb] about truck drivers. They will do whatever the owners of Stobrat, DHL Logistics, Culina, Wincanton, XPO tell them to do to “solve” the bum on seat problem, which will be some brown envelopes to their cronies in government to create “exemptions” for Romanian’s and Pole’s to return here to work for peanuts. That’s how it works in the real world.

What evidence do you have to claim Eastern European hgv drivers work for peanuts?

Plenty. Go work in an agency for a week and see whose numbers they ring first because they know they can offer them £10/hr and they’ll take it which means £4 per hour more profit than if they had me do it. It’s no secret than they live 10 to a room and drive round in a £100 knackered VW Passat on Polish plates thus avoiding tax, MOT and probably road insurance as well, so £10/hr is mega bucks to them. If you haven’t figured this out by now then you’ve been living in a cave and the Brexit thread is probably where you’ll find good company.

Plus the headlines from companies about the alleged driver shortage speak for themselves. Every single one of them are blaming the shortage on the flip-flops having gone back home. That tells you all you need to know. Cheap labour. :bulb: If these companies were paying a competitive rate then they’d have no problem recruiting from the native British driver pool. As they can’t recruit then that tells you where the root of the problem lays. :bulb:

DCPCFML:
Plus the headlines from companies about the alleged driver shortage speak for themselves. Every single one of them are blaming the shortage on the flip-flops having gone back home. That tells you all you need to know. Cheap labour. :bulb: If these companies were paying a competitive rate then they’d have no problem recruiting from the native British driver pool. As they can’t recruit then that tells you where the root of the problem lays. :bulb:

Where’s the Like, agree button.

Most drive Audi’s , bmw or Mercedes , not Passats , as for 10 per house , the 3 families that lived in our street were your normal 2 parents & kids
I’ve got to know plenty over the years & there just like us they want as much money as they can earn , ive never known one of them accept less than the going rate for the job
Just your normal crap banded about on here of they work for less etc etc

DCPCFML:
Plenty. Go work in an agency for a week and see whose numbers they ring first because they know they can offer them £10/hr and they’ll take it which means £4 per hour more profit than if they had me do it.

Not the ones I’ve come across. TThree years ago we had ones at Howdens drafted in during the annual sales period complaining because they weren’t able to get 13 and 15hrs in every day. I’ve seen Howdens bin some who have dragged out runs to make sure they get 13hrs in.

It may have been the case years ago they’d be willing to work for less money but that’s long since stopped being the case, certainly amongst those on agency. There’s a lot of them who aren’t happy with anything under £800 a week.

Resident Racist:
It’s no secret than they live 10 to a room and drive round in a £100 knackered VW Passat on Polish plates

The ones I work with are running around in BMWs, Mercedes and Audis, all on English plates, and buying houses.

DCPCFML:

The headlines in your chosen sources might well be saying things like that. It certainly doesn’t mean it’s true.
There is probably an effect of migrant workers leaving due to both Brexit (since you mentioned it, again) and covid.
But since the USA is having a shortage of drivers, since the URTU says there is s shortage of drivers throughout Europe, Brexit can’t be issue there, can it?

I don’t believe that Brexit is the cause of the driver shortage, nor Covid. I don’t even think that IR35 is the cause, although it may very well be the straw that broke the camels back.

The simple fact is that lorry driving is a deeply unattractive career choice. It’s changed from a job which was admittedly challenging but ultimately rewarding into a bloody endurance test, nothing more, nothing less. Grown men don’t appreciate being talked down to by snot nosed kids with an ology in logistics, the type of snivelling little sods who replaced life long transport operators with a wealth of experience. It’s been a steep downward slope for the last 20 or 30 years bringing us to the point where we are now.

The transport industry is finally reaping what it has sown.

the maoster:
I don’t believe that Brexit is the cause of the driver shortage, nor Covid. I don’t even think that IR35 is the cause, although it may very well be the straw that broke the camels back.

The simple fact is that lorry driving is a deeply unattractive career choice. It’s changed from a job which was admittedly challenging but ultimately rewarding into a bloody endurance test, nothing more, nothing less. Grown men don’t appreciate being talked down to by snot nosed kids with an ology in logistics, the type of snivelling little sods who replaced life long transport operators with a wealth of experience. It’s been a steep downward slope for the last 20 or 30 years bringing us to the point where we are now.

The transport industry is finally reaping what it has sown.

Nice to agree.
If I tried hard I could find summat contrary to say…[emoji3]
But I won’t

Conor:

Sent them a message, but it will be like ■■■■■■■ in the wind.
Not only are that lot out of touch in their ivory towers, but also they do not give a flying ■■■■ about the plight of the driver to start with.
I also mentioned they suggest they view this thread on this forum to get a feel for the opinion of them amongst drivers.
Everything Juddian and Maoster has said should be enough for them to get the mood of feeling amongst all of us towards them…But will they care?
Will they ■■■■. :neutral_face:

Bombard the ■■■■■ with e.mails anyway for the hell of it. :smiley: