Interesting Article in the FT

Massive severe driver shortage in uk due to Brexit many EU drivers have decided to leave the uk , seems like a good time to Ask for a pay rise the Ball is in the drivers corner
£1000,000 a week take home doesn’t seem
To much to Ask for tramping work

Any Freshlinc or Turner’s driver’s care to comment.

The article fails to mention the usual problems of excessive hours at a poor pay rate with miserable facilities in the UK.

Stacks74:
Massive severe driver shortage in uk due to Brexit many EU drivers have decided to leave the uk , seems like a good time to Ask for a pay rise the Ball is in the drivers corner

There is no driver shortage. There was a government inquiry over it a couple of years ago. DVLA was asked how many people had a LGV licence and their response was there was more than enough to meet demand and if companies couldn’t find drivers it wasn’t down to a lack of licences. In short their response was a polite way of saying if you can’t find drivers you should look in the mirror for the reason.

OwneMoney’s response hits the nail on the head why a lot of companies can’t find drivers. Where I’m at they have no problem because they pay well, it’s planned on a 54hr week including breaks for the fulltimers and being primarily a large blue chip manufacturing company conditions are what they should be in the 21st Century, not stuck in the 1970s like many places are.

Said it many times in much the same way Owen had said. But to go a bit further can someone write a real life job advert to entice a newer generation into haulage over say working in a warehouse or office or so on? Not aiming to attract graduate types with law degrees, just your average guy or girl.

I’ll go…

Start times may vary but you’ll not know until you finish the previous day when you start, nor where you’ll finish or if you’ll even be home instead of sitting in a ■■■■ smelling MSA chomping on whatever Greggs have left.

Great earning potential if you wish to burn yourself out relentlessly week after week by screwing a week and half’s worth of hours into a week. If you want 40hrs you’ll end up with close to what you’d get for 40hrs stacking shelves, driving a forklift and so on.

Ongoing training provided in your own time and sometimes at your own cost on top of the start up costs of acquiring relevant licenses in the first instance. On the job training and eyesight assessment consist of demonstrating an ability to catch a set of keys and “cracking on” with your day as best as you can without being told anything by anyone.

Don’t forget there are unlimited penalties for falling foul of many rules which you as a driver are responsible for as you’re a professional (when you’re getting a rocket) and should know better.

I could go on…

I’m 38 and I was brought up with driving and being on the road so I understand a lot of things such as the hours expected and have learnt a lot of things like how not to be a doormat and to not worry too much about your job, because if that’s how you feel it’s not going to change and there’s plenty more of the same fish out there.

But what about the next generation? Warehouse to wheels yields partial results once the person realises its not all soft rock, Yorkie bars and the open road. What about younger people, would they stick at it given how I’ve described it? Or would they think balls to it and settle into something far less hassle? Bear in my as a new pass they’ll likely be “given a chance” with exactly the kind of firm I’ve described.

Even I’m half tempted to jack it all in and probably would if I knew what it was I wanted to do instead. Though in fairness the money I’ve made over the years has given me the freedom now to think about that.

Everytime I read one of these articles the answer is always cheaper labour and never anything about how to ATTRACT and RETAIN people longer term.

Stacks74:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Is it that time again? The weekly “driver shortage” myth thread?

Same old same old.

Wake me up when the day shift hourly rates have 2 digits and start with a 2. Until then, yawn.

So I read the FT article.

ft.com/content/4d6b3be1-627 … da326cabdc

In addition to the FTA (now Logistics UK) and RHA as expected the usual suspects who pay crap, work their drivers to death and made themselves over-reliant on Eastern European drivers willing to work long hours for nothing are there bleating about how badly done to they are because they can’t find drivers…

Freshlinc
Turners of Soham (who have 40% of their drivers driving their 2300 lorries from Eastern Europe :open_mouth: )
Driver Require agency.

Conor:

Stacks74:

There is no driver shortage. There was a government inquiry over it a couple of years ago. DVLA was asked how many people had a LGV licence and their response was there was more than enough to meet demand and if companies couldn’t find drivers it wasn’t down to a lack of licences. In short their response was a polite way of saying if you can’t find drivers you should look in the mirror for the reason.

OwneMoney’s response hits the nail on the head why a lot of companies can’t find drivers. Where I’m at they have no problem because they pay well, it’s planned on a 54hr week including breaks for the fulltimers and being primarily a large blue chip manufacturing company conditions are what they should be in the 21st Century, not stuck in the 1970s like many places are.

So sad sack Conor,
You missed the perfect opportunity there to once again flash your over inflated wage slip to the world, not what your bosses would expect…is it? As it’s always easier for you to ignore, I won’t hold out for a reply.

I was hoping someone who works for Freshlinc would verify the 10 to 30 percent pay rise…

30% of nothing is still nothing.

Conor:

Stacks74:

Wouldn’t be a Conor post without a comment about how much he earns shoehorned in :wink:

I respect myself too much to start being treated like excrement again, I am just biding my time until my house is sold and then I am off, away from this society and it`s poor everything, there is not one reason to stay here and having to drive to make money would fill me with , I would rather be a criminal.

switchlogic:
Wouldn’t be a Conor post without a comment about how much he earns shoehorned in :wink:

Not my fault you choose to work for a pittance because you don’t like the modern way that the good paying places work and prefer to stay stuck in the 70s with both the working practices and the pay. There’s plenty of places within 30 miles paying within a couple of quid an hour either side. Hell there’s one just a mile down the road. There’s an entire area of the East Midlands where my pay is nowt special. If you’re a tramper there’s nothing to stop you working out of there.

Conor:

switchlogic:

Not my fault you choose to work for a pittance because you don’t like the modern way that the good paying places work and prefer to stay stuck in the 70s with both the working practices and the pay. There’s plenty of places within 30 miles paying within a couple of quid an hour either side. Hell there’s one just a mile down the road. There’s an entire area of the East Midlands where my pay is nowt special. If you’re a tramper there’s nothing to stop you working out of there.

Get over yourself chap, it was a joke

Love how you share a trait with our most illustrious and honourable member- fabricating lies about people to fit the point you want to make. No idea at all why East Midlands randomly popped up. Are you maybe mixing me up with another person?

Is there a problem with the DVLA, I ask because I know of a couple of people who cannot drive as they have not had licences renewed and returned to them.

Tude:
Is there a problem with the DVLA, I ask because I know of a couple of people who cannot drive as they have not had licences renewed and returned to them.

It’s like trying to get through to another galaxy trying to get anyone to talk to in that place! Waiting for info on my licence too and I might as well bash my head against a brick wall

switchlogic:

Tude:

It’s like trying to get through to another galaxy trying to get anyone to talk to in that place! Waiting for info on my licence too and I might as well bash my head against a brick wall

I thought bashing your head was the cause of the problems…

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Tude:

I thought bashing your head was the cause of the problems…

No, the cause of the problems was crashing into a tree :smiley:

Can,t imagine many lorry drivers reading the F.T. no page 3 , what happened to the Sun and Mirror.

switchlogic:
Love how you share a trait with our most illustrious and honourable member- fabricating lies about people to fit the point you want to make. No idea at all why East Midlands randomly popped up. Are you maybe mixing me up with another person?

East Midlands had nothing to do with referring to where you live but referring to a part of the country known as the Golden Triangle where they pay around what I get and more. If you’re a tramper there’s nothing stopping you working out of there if you live within a couple of hours driving down on a Monday morning and home on a Friday night. Why be a tramper working for companies that pay nowt elsewhere when for the sake of £20 of fuel and a couple of hours of your time getting there you can up your wages to a grand a week?

Conor:

switchlogic:

East Midlands had nothing to do with referring to where you live but referring to a part of the country known as the Golden Triangle where they pay around what I get and more. If you’re a tramper there’s nothing stopping you working out of there if you live within a couple of hours driving down on a Monday morning and home on a Friday night. Why be a tramper working for companies that pay nowt elsewhere when for the sake of £20 of fuel and a couple of hours of your time getting there you can up your wages to a grand a week?

Not entirely sure how any of this is relevant to me and still think you’re mixing me up with someone else so I’ll just say…ok chap, whatever you say