Spanish transport ministers fired

Not truck related I know.

Unspeakable botch’: Spain spends €258 million on trains that are too big for its tunnels. Spain has spent €258 million on trains that are too big to fit in its rail network’s tunnels. After the blunder was exposed by local newspaper El Comercio in late January, two transport bosses were fired

€258 million of who’s money I wonder?

Do we still contribute to this farce?

Look, you won the referendum, get over it.

the nodding donkey:

Thanks for the reminder all the same :unamused:

the nodding donkey:

Get over it? :open_mouth: …Seriously ■■ :laughing:

C’mon mate,.there are a total of 282 pages over 2 threads :open_mouth: of people still whinging over Brexit if you check…(.speaking of,.where is the main contributor Frangers ? ) , surely the opposition is allowed one post of gloating over the latest EU based mega extravagant f/ up. . :smiley:

They can’t possibly be the wrong loading guage for just the tunnels.
It the guage is too wide to clear the tunnel walls on the nearside it’s obviously also too wide to clear each other head on the offside and other types of obstructions like bridges on the nearside.The tunnels can’t possibly be narrower than the clearance required for the standard loading guage of the network.

edd1974:
Not truck related I know.

Unspeakable botch’: Spain spends €258 million on trains that are too big for its tunnels. Spain has spent €258 million on trains that are too big to fit in its rail network’s tunnels. After the blunder was exposed by local newspaper El Comercio in late January, two transport bosses were fired

Look at the over run time and money crossrail, anyone sacked? Hs2 is going to make that look tame that’s why it’s hs2 ltd,so it won’t be scrutinized properly

If only there was a simple structure that’s been around for more than150 years they could have referred to. :unamused:

didnt British Rail have a similal problem with the pengerlino tilting trains that would tilt and hit platforms ( long time ago i may be wrong )

Notimetoulouse:
didnt British Rail have a similal problem with the pengerlino tilting trains that would tilt and hit platforms ( long time ago i may be wrong )

Its still being used by Avanti on the west coast line I’ve often wondered if the tilt would affect the guage clearance.I’ve never seen one hit anything yet yet.

I believe these trains were for use in the north west of Spain (Galicia and Asturias) on their cercancias services which are local trains.
Historically Spain has had different rail guages both wide and narrow.Franco worried about invasion forces arriving by rail so he didn’t adopt the standard guage of 4ft.8.5 ins.More recently international trains saw the carriages being lifted onto different bogies or running over a device to increase or reduce the guage as required.The modern high speed trains run from Paris to Madrid or Barcelona and are blinking quick.

A fuller article is here.
lemonde.fr/en/economy/artic … 08_19.html

The original tender was for 258m euros in total.
The trains were never actually built.
The safety regs have changed in recent years requiring greater safety margins than previously. The new sets will be smaller than existing sets.
There will be a delay in the project, and it will cost more than the original amount.

In other news Spain is not the EU !
They may all be “Johnny Foreigners” but in the real world, there is a difference.

Those responsible for the ■■■■-up have resigned. Their party leader didnt stand up for them, and didnt try to change any rules to save them.

Of course, none of this would have happened if they had read the dimensions in feetninches instead of that metrelectric stuff.

Gidders:
I believe these trains were for use in the north west of Spain (Galicia and Asturias) on their cercancias services which are local trains.
Historically Spain has had different rail guages both wide and narrow.Franco worried about invasion forces arriving by rail so he didn’t adopt the standard guage of 4ft.8.5 ins.More recently international trains saw the carriages being lifted onto different bogies or running over a device to increase or reduce the guage as required.The modern high speed trains run from Paris to Madrid or Barcelona and are blinking quick.

That’s referring to different rail gauges but what’s being described is obviously the wrong overall ‘loading gauge’ for the available tunnel clearance. Which obviously has no connection with the rail gauge and the rail gauge obviously won’t change and be different only in the tunnels anyway.
The old fashioned contraption shown is the loading gauge measure.

My first sentence referred to the post in question.
The remainder was a point which I thought may interest some of our readers.
However,as i understand it,the carriages have been built too wide and height or load gauge is not the issue.
I’ll look again.

The rail network in that part of Spain was constructed in the 19th.century.Two tunnels in question are not able to accommodate the extra width of the modern carriages.

Gidders:
My first sentence referred to the post in question.
The remainder was a point which I thought may interest some of our readers.
However,as i understand it,the carriages have been built too wide and height or load gauge is not the issue.
I’ll look again.

If they are too wide overall that’s also a loading gauge error.The loading gauge obviously means overall height and the overall width re the centre line of the track.There is no way that the tunnels can be narrower, than the required clearance, for the loading gauge, regarding width, across the network.

Gidders:
The rail network in that part of Spain was constructed in the 19th.century.Two tunnels in question are not able to accommodate the extra width of the modern carriages.

The loading gauge can’t possibly be wider than the minimum clearance width v track centre line along the network.That figure would be known and set in stone literally.While more loading gauge width and reduction in clearance on the nearside also means double the reduction in clearance on the offside v two opposing trains.

Carryfast owned lol

md1987:
Carryfast owned lol

Only if you think that the overall width of a rail carriage doesn’t form part of the loading gauge measurement.

Gidders:
as i understand it,the carriages have been built too wide load gauge is not the issue.
I’ll look again.

igg.org.uk/rail/2-track/02track3.htm