End of life permits on used car parts!

Anyone else seeing this on the ebay? Apparently there are some new rules being brought in on ebay regarding Environmental Permitting Rules.

If you are selling used parts on any platform, it appears you now have to have a environmental disposal licence, ie a breakers licence.

Basically if you are not a licenced breaker, you are not not allowed to strip cars and sell the parts. To enforce this, the environment dept has found a back door way to enforce, by getting ebay to take down any used parts listings that do not disclose that the cars are stripped on a licenced premise.

This will be a death knell for old classic car owners where spare parts are already hard to come by.Is this a backdoor way of getting older polluting cars off the road altogether? :open_mouth:

I saw something earlier, only just read it after seeing this post, its another way to control the masses, most people I know buy and sell motorbike bits or cars and spare parts.

As someone who runs a few old cars I think at least it may stop a lot of the stealing of cars to break and sell.

Plenty of owners forums/clubs/meets to buy used parts at.

lancpudn:
Anyone else seeing this on the ebay? Apparently there are some new rules being brought in on ebay regarding Environmental Permitting Rules.

If you are selling used parts on any platform, it appears you now have to have a environmental disposal licence, ie a breakers licence.

Basically if you are not a licenced breaker, you are not not allowed to strip cars and sell the parts. To enforce this, the environment dept has found a back door way to enforce, by getting ebay to take down any used parts listings that do not disclose that the cars are stripped on a licenced premise.

This will be a death knell for old classic car owners where spare parts are already hard to come by.Is this a backdoor way of getting older polluting cars off the road altogether? :open_mouth:

A good reason to be in a classic car club for the car you own… :wink:

The ebay reseller from my old club was buying stock then selling them inflated on ebay, he ruined prices for genuine enthusiasts… Seems this may have its perks for clubs etc

I’ve said this ages ago that any one who things the second hand market for cars when leccy ones start to come in force are mistaken, the government will put that much tax on them it won’t be worth having.

Some cities are already starting to ban cars from a certain age coming into to cities.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

i have a few old bangers…best to start collecting/storing stuff to keep them on the road.

What a load of ■■■■■■■■, what about used car parts that were stripped from a vehicle some time ago? How can this be enforced? eBay will lose out to Facebook marketplace and owners clubs if they adopt this pointless policy.

bigstraight6:
What a load of [zb], what about used car parts that were stripped from a vehicle some time ago? How can this be enforced? eBay will lose out to Facebook marketplace and owners clubs if they adopt this pointless policy.

The environment agency says people need to have a licence & invoice number to track the vehicle to ensure ‘a duty of care’ was used to dispose of pollutants i.e. petrol, anti freeze, gearbox/sump oils etc. I think it’s just a ‘backdoor’ way of restricting used parts and getting rid of older polluting cars.

I was talking to a guy on another classic car forum last night who restores Citroen 2CV’s. he had a visit from the environment agency and as a result had a final warning and had to get rid of all the cars he was breaking for donor parts.

Another major seller of used car parts said when they applied for the ‘end of life permit’, they were made to dispose of thousands of £’s of parts they had previously taken off as they were deemed ‘illegal’ parts. :open_mouth:

They said they’re watching all online platforms.

Really! I can’t believe that in the times we are living in there’s a bunch of online Police checking old car parts people are selling.

bigstraight6:

Really! I can’t believe that in the times we are living in there’s a bunch of online Police checking old car parts people are selling.

All part of the green climate change Great Reset agenda. You WILL be driving an EV whether you want to or not.

how depressing :frowning:

bigstraight6:

For information for anyone who has not checked out the ebay rules here they are
"Selling second hand parts

If you are selling second hand parts, you’ll need to display your environmental permit numbers in your listing, so buyers know you are complying with the Environmental Permitting Regulations for storing and dismantling end of life vehicles.

If you are a vehicle part seller, you must:

Display the permit number of the site(s) where you source the vehicle part(s) you are selling
Only source the vehicle part(s) from a company or person who has a permit to depollute and dismantle ELVs (environment.data.gov.uk/publ…iew/search-elv)

If you are dismantling (breaking) vehicles (ELVs) you must have a permit. If you do not have a permit – you are operating illegally. It doesn’t matter whether you are registered as a private or business seller.

Important: It is a mandatory requirement to display your environmental permit information or the permit information of your supplier in order to list second-hand parts or used car parts to sell. Failure to comply with this requirement may lead to sanctions on your account."

Note it refers to both business and private sellers.

From what I’ve been reading the cost of a permit starts at £4800 :open_mouth:

[quoteFrom what I’ve been reading the cost of a permit starts at £4800 ]

[/quote]
which will stop people nicking Defenders etc to break.

perfect I think.

I’m in two minds about this. On the one hand it’s the powers that be leaning on the little guy, making a few quid on the side… on the other hand, it will make nicking cars (and bikes… :imp: ) to break them up a lot less profitable. That has to be a good thing.

And it stops oil, coolant etc being tipped down the drain.

Over the last 18 years I’ve bought quite a few second hand parts off eBay for my MK3 Ford Zodiac, I’ve just been on there now and there are plenty of used parts for sale with no mention of a permit in the ads…

Darkside:
[quoteFrom what I’ve been reading the cost of a permit starts at £4800 ]

which will stop people nicking Defenders etc to break.

perfect I think.
[/quote]
Defenders don’t need much assistance in breaking do they?
[emoji3]
But if the rules stop the parting out if nicked cars and bikes, all is good.
We’ll even get lower insurance!
Maybe…

Franglais:

I have read some stuff on here, but never ever seen anything that far-fetched… :smiley:

Darkside:

Franglais:

I have read some stuff on here, but never ever seen anything that far-fetched… :smiley:

Funnily enough I have just had another cheque from my car insurance company, they have given me £150 back due to Covid restrictions :laughing: