Yes another self employed discussion

Rjan:
To be genuinely self-employed, and stating the point very generally, you have to be an owner (of business capital), an employer, or have recognisable authority over your customers.

If you are/have none of these to any significant degree, the self-employment is basically not genuine.

It is otherwise perfectly possible to be an employee who fills up the vehicle and then claims on expenses, and it is perfectly possible to be a businessman with only one client.

But owning a pair of gloves and toe-capped boots does not make you an owner, occasionally bunging some work to a “self-employed” friend does not make you an employer, and one driver in a marketplace of thousands does not stand as the authority figure against a large corporation or the peripheral businesses which supply it.

yet thousands stil do it knowing this information or vaguely knowing it but carry on anyway… what’s the worst that could happen? hmrc saying you need to stop it or will they get a fine or made to repay something of some sort?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Berty:

Rjan:
To be genuinely self-employed, and stating the point very generally, you have to be an owner (of business capital), an employer, or have recognisable authority over your customers.

If you are/have none of these to any significant degree, the self-employment is basically not genuine.

It is otherwise perfectly possible to be an employee who fills up the vehicle and then claims on expenses, and it is perfectly possible to be a businessman with only one client.

But owning a pair of gloves and toe-capped boots does not make you an owner, occasionally bunging some work to a “self-employed” friend does not make you an employer, and one driver in a marketplace of thousands does not stand as the authority figure against a large corporation or the peripheral businesses which supply it.

yet thousands stil do it knowing this information or vaguely knowing it but carry on anyway… what’s the worst that could happen? hmrc saying you need to stop it or will they get a fine or made to repay something of some sort?

It’s not entirely a one-way bet though, because typically the gross “self-employed” rate is lower than the gross PAYE rate, and you lose security of employment and a raft of peripheral rights, benefits, and protections.

Just the right to a week’s notice after one month’s continuous employment (or a series of employments punctuated by temporary cessasions, that are treated as continuous under the ERA 1996) could be worth hundreds of pounds to an employee. Then there is holiday pay, sick pay, redundancy pay, the state guarantee of unpaid wages in the event of the insolvency of the employer, pension contributions, and probably other things, that are lost.

And if the taxman does come calling, which he is more likely to do with those who feel they are doing best out of the self-employed arrangements rather than those who have made only slight gains, even without any fine or penalty being imposed you’ll be appreciably worse off than if you’d been on PAYE and you’ve got to find money out of your own pocket to repay what has already been spent maybe years beforehand.

Most fiddlers don’t put the money aside to see which way the bet goes, any more so than does the burglar or the fraudster - they do it on the assumption they won’t be caught and may not be here tomorrow (the same optimism that convinces them that redundancy pay, sick pay, and pensions are worth less than hard cash paid today), so if they are caught and forced to repay, the pain is far greater than if it was just a case of giving back stored funds, because they’ve already lived a lifestyle as though the unpaid tax was theirs to keep.

albion:
…And as muscles says,…

:laughing: :laughing: Well, it made me laugh! :laughing: :laughing:

bullitt:

albion:
…And as muscles says,…

I think Albion has seen me in Putin pose. :laughing:

muckles:

bullitt:

albion:
…And as muscles says,…

You never know, there could well be a TN Hunky Drivers Calendar, like the Fire Fighters do, with a month with your name on it!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

bullitt:

muckles:

bullitt:

albion:
…And as muscles says,…

You never know, there could well be a TN Hunky Drivers Calendar, like the Fire Fighters do, with a month with your name on it!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I’m normally in the month after December, but before January, at least that’s what the publishers tell me. :confused: :laughing:

I can imagine Carryfast being on page 14 [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muckles:

bullitt:

albion:
…And as muscles says,…

I was going to blame autocorrect, but obviously my deepest fantasy as been outed… :blush: :wink: : I’ll expect my calendar soon, shall I :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I can imagine Carryfast being on page 14 [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cancel my order! :unamused:

AndrewG:
Having said that, an additionl yard/office in Norway is now on the cards since regs there have changed

Oh do tell. No cabotage regulations applied to imaginary lorries? No need to carry chains if mentally unstable? :laughing:

Seriously man you need to get over this thing you’ve got with Andrew. Resurrecting a four month old thread to have a pop. Doesn’t look a bit sad at all :unamused:

It’s refreshing to see grown men believe in Santa Claus, but I’m halfways through a thousand mile commute and a bored mind would like to know what exactly has changed in the legislature?

This is going to run and run, until we get photographic evidence, surely not too much to ask these days is it? I know I’m not the only doubting Thomas on here…

short walk:
This is going to run and run, until we get photographic evidence, surely not too much to ask these days is it? I know I’m not the only doubting Thomas on here…

How is Milodon going to prove anything with a photo? A picture of his computer in his mum’s bedroom?

Milodon has nothing to prove, hundreds of photos of his stuff on here, it’s the Spanish reg Dutch spec F16 I was interested in, on and its driver of course.

Well the likelihood of my computer being located in my mothers bedroom is still astronomical compared to a spanish reg, dutch spec (standard equipment clogs?), single 1480l tank, Euro 6 FH700 dual clutch actually existing somewhere else, than a really weird parallel universe :laughing:

Even more so being driven by an imaginary waifu, cough, Karla :confused:

This has been fun as always, almost at the home port now after a short 28-hour commute home, off to find some better use for my time. Otherwise the GOGA* will accuse me of being a saddo :blush:

*Gullible Old Geezers Association

milodon:
Well the likelihood of my computer being located in my mothers bedroom is still astronomical compared to a spanish reg, dutch spec (standard equipment clogs?), single 1480l tank, Euro 6 FH700 dual clutch actually existing somewhere else, than a really weird parallel universe :laughing:

Even more so being driven by an imaginary waifu, cough, Karla :confused:

This has been fun as always, almost at the home port now after a short 28-hour commute home, off to find some better use for my time. Otherwise the GOGA* will accuse me of being a saddo :blush:

*Gullible Old Geezers Association

What do you do on ships Milodon? Are you crew on them?

Just spend plenty of time commuting, for example come Friday evening Ill take the two hour ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki, drive 1400kms to Bodø, Norway, where Ill get my work van and take the 16.5h ferry trip from Bodø to Rørvik on the Hurtigruten coastal service. Then back again after three weeks or so.

toonsy:
Seriously man you need to get over this thing you’ve got with Andrew. Resurrecting a four month old thread to have a pop. Doesn’t look a bit sad at all :unamused:

He cant get over it mate. This thing he has with me has bit him in the arse big time .
Its over 20 years ago i sold him a duff (according to him) F12. I wont go into the details again but he lost a case brought against me and its eaten him up since. Every so often he’ll pick up on a thread just to nit pik.
Trying to put doubt in the minds of other members of this forum is the way miloden works in a bid to slate me in some sad way…saying my wife Karla doesnt exist is another one. What he forgets is the fact i know his kids must now be in their thirties yet he posts on his ‘diary’ pictures of children in ‘his’ truck images of 5 to 7 year olds which are not his…pot/kettle ect.
The BS we have both had to put up with even off this forum with abusive emails and letters over the years has been unreal but we’ve put it down to dealing with someone who isnt of sound mind. The problem is, Karla, although pretty fiery and resilient, at one point in this vendetta against us had to rely on medication for depression such was the torrent of abuse.
What with being in different countries an injunction had no real standing either and so it continued but moving address a few years ago and changing email finally stopped it. Sadly this guy still follows me around… :unamused: Karla sometimes used to frequent this form but now has refrain as she doesnt want to read anything miloden posts or even me mention his name now.
As for certain posters who insist on pictures for proof of a life, when im up to it, ill get down to the yard hook up a Krone or VanHool to the (imaginary 16) pull the outfit down the road out of the way and post up the required evidence complete with blondie in tow…

PS-as this guy is on block i cant read anything he posts, it will only appear if someone else quotes.

EDIT- Big Griffin saw the FH with silver Krone tilt with Karla driving on the M25 junction 21 around 2 weeks ago…

Things sure were dramatic back in the day, when you actually did work as an o/d (probably). Twenty years ago I was experiencing puberty instead of troubles with a Volvo though :laughing:

Even your imaginary friends seem like fun. Kudos for the psychological twist of trying to base your fairytales on a situation that might even have happened. You have the storytelling part down pretty well, not good enough though.

AndrewG:
As for certain posters who insist on pictures for proof of a life, when im up to it, ill get down to the yard hook up a Krone or VanHool to the (imaginary 16) pull the outfit down the road out of the way and post up the required evidence complete with blondie in tow…

A man of your word you are not, so nobodys holding their breath :unamused: