Self-employed or not

Ive just reg’ed with an agency and they have reccomended self’ employ does anyone know if its worth it
Roger

If anyone recommends something, then you can bet your steel toe capped boots that it’s good for THEM and not you! :imp:

Probably not for the one day’s work a month they will give you after everyone else on their books has turned it down. :wink:

Harry Monk:
Probably not for the one day’s work a month they will give you after everyone else on their books has turned it down. :wink:

Hullo,
Can’t argue with that Harry. Though I was always self employed, in fact I was an Owner / Driver, that later took my lads on to work for me. But that was a very different day and age. If you didn’t find work you starved, and I kept a Wife and three kids on my work. However this seems to be a very different thing doesn’t it ? Although I am going to try an Agency this next time in the UK. I had a bloke ring me whilst I was in Chile offering me work, self employed, I think I shall give it a try. Mind you it wasn’t Brian.
Cheers, Archie.

As Harry has said

You need to know how many days you will get before even considering going Ltd or Umbrella, each will cost you to run, either accountant or umbrella

Umbrella will charge a weekly fee, Not exactly sure how much, but now could be close to £30

Ltd, Thats another kettle of fish, Setting up fees, accountant costs, filing costs to Companies house, a lot can be dealt with by the accountant, but more the accountant does, the more it will cost

Then you have the IR35 (HMRC) question, Which HMRC will I am sure of it, be closing the grey areas

1st place to start, is How much work you will get, and what is the rate?

There is a lot of info posted about the above points already on the forum, Good luck Roger

I think it needs to be said about Self-Employed in general;

If you are paid a MASSIVE gross pay, then you will do well out of being self-employed, as policitians, TV people, and celebs seem to do. The overhead reduces as a percentage the higher hourly rate one is paid.

Even if you are running your own payroll/wages system, rather than putting it on Umbrella, you can make your pay look something like this:-

Pay for services Rendered @ £90ph 48 hours=£4320.00
Umbrella Fee (accountant) £120.00
Shift Arrangement Fee (Agency) £200.00
Fi Fo Fum Fee (Your own) £500.00
Expenses of all items above £0.01p £500.00
Corporation Tax @ 20% on the remainder £600.00
NET PAY: £4020.00

If your gross pay is a “normal” wage, then the overheads that you’re not deducting for your own firm are just going to be so high, you’ll never take home a minimum wage - let alone one that allows you to thrive. Being your own boss is supposed to be “the real thing” so you shouldn’t be nothing more than an “indentured servant” just to get employed!

£6-£18ph is therefore NOT worth bothering going SE with. An ADR driver getting upwards of £18ph starts to come into the “worthwhile” range.

Anybody transporting high explosives or corrosives on here? There must be a world beyond 3YE I hope! :slight_smile:

The reason they recomend you go self employed is because they do not have to pay your insurance, deal with your taxes, national insurance and have no employers liability.
I tried in in the UK on odd occasions when my job was out of season, it got me in deep poop with NI and the Inland revenue. If you think like I did that what they don’t see they do’t know about is not so, they get reports from the agency informing them of every penny you get from them.
It works the same over here. I spent 6 months self employed and it cost me a fortune in taxes that kept comming at me even 3 years later because the person or persons who assured me nothing would be said to IRS did so out of spite or some other reason. I never even got paid for my last run and after all was finally paid out it was worked out I got an average of 19 cents a mile.
Never again.

One day someone will discover the search box, and type in “self employed” and do a search of the forum and discover numorous threads on the subject :unamused:

peirre:
One day someone will discover the search box, and type in “self employed” and do a search of the forum and discover numorous threads on the subject :unamused:

And the ‘problem’ with not doing that is■■?
Same with Sat Navs. In fact, most topics have been covered in one form or another. All the Stobart threads are just the same old bollox, most I ignore cos I can.

BTW, talking of Forum ‘tools’, isn’t there a spellchecker lurking around somewhere? Google maybe?

Someday someone will actually post what you actually pay when you go ltd instead of the usual rubbish about ni and income tax

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Adr 18 per pull the other one on se I gets about 1 to 150 per hr more

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

dinosteveus1:
BTW, talking of Forum ‘tools’, isn’t there a spellchecker lurking around somewhere?

I don`t need to use a spellchecker when I have you to highlight any errors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peirre:

dinosteveus1:
BTW, talking of Forum ‘tools’, isn’t there a spellchecker lurking around somewhere?

I don`t need to use a spellchecker when I have you to highlight any errors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ah, but you don’t ‘have’ me.
Don’t have a go at members who cba using the search function when you yourself cba using a spellchecker. Same ■■■■, yes?

dinosteveus1:

peirre:

And the ‘problem’ with not doing that is■■?
Same with Sat Navs. In fact, most topics have been covered in one form or another. All the Stobart threads are just the same old bollox, most I ignore cos I can.

BTW, talking of Forum ‘tools’, isn’t there a spellchecker lurking around somewhere? Google maybe?

I have to agree with this :laughing: The way things are we should have a separate Stobart forum and I ain’t no genius but some of the truly horrific spelling is amazing.

ta to all that posted it sounds (sounz) as if Ive saved a few bob
Roger