Would you take this on the road?

eagerbeaver:
Ffs :unamused:

If the lights/brakes/tyres are ok and the load is strapped, put your key in the ignition and crack on.

I’ve never known such a bunch of bone idle/terrified (delete as applicable) knobs in all my days.

I thought we are truck drivers? Maybe the ’ title ’ should be amended to ’ Fearful and weak attendants '…

There’s a simple answer, and that is for hauliers to start using more box vans suited to securing the load being carried, rather than expecting curtainsiders to be the jack of all trades.

There really should a change of law in this country to make it like Germany, where I believe it is the consignor, rather than the haulier alone, who is responsible for ensuring the security of the load.

Rjan:

eagerbeaver:

If the lights/brakes/tyres are ok and the load is strapped, put your key in the ignition and crack on.

I’ve never known such a bunch of bone idle/terrified (delete as applicable) knobs in all my days.

I thought we are truck drivers? Maybe the ’ title ’ should be amended to ’ Fearful and weak attendants '…

There’s a simple answer, and that is for hauliers to start using more box vans suited to securing the load being carried, rather than expecting curtainsiders to be the jack of all trades.

There really should a change of law in this country to make it like Germany, where I believe it is the consignor, rather than the haulier alone, who is responsible for ensuring the security of the load.

In theory, yes. But imagine the army of clean hi-vis wearers there would be lurking in every factory and warehouse, insisting that you had to have such a strap or such a load-restraint system?

It would go as mental as building sites have :neutral_face:

Rjan:

eagerbeaver:

It’s rare, but some companies do adopt this alrewdy. Some DS smith sites make sure you’ve ratchet strapped paper reels, also smurfit kappa at snodland make sure you do, rather than just put some internals on and shut the curtains.

I also loaded 26 pallets of ketchup recently and the forklift driver said we have to take photos of the load and strapping before you shut the curtains.

So the odd one do seem to at least snow an interest.

Drempels:

Rjan:

eagerbeaver:

In theory, yes. But imagine the army of clean hi-vis wearers there would be lurking in every factory and warehouse, insisting that you had to have such a strap or such a load-restraint system?

It would go as mental as building sites have :neutral_face:

To be honest I’d rather it be like that than having some impatient prick asking you to hurry up and move out of the way because “other drivers don’t bother strapping it” so they think your just being awkward and wasting time by doing it

I wonder where this mania for load security really came from. My guess is the government looking to save money and force companies to buy new equipment, as I strongly suspect is the case with emissions.

If a load gets shot through a curtain, it’s messy but the chances are the vehicle will stay upright. If it’s “clamped to the floor” as they’re so fond of saying, the vehicle ends up on its side. That’s evidently not safer, but the clean-up is likely to be simpler and cheaper.

If they were really interested in “load security” there would be no shortage of secure parking…

Drempels:
I wonder where this mania for load security really came from. My guess is the government looking to save money and force companies to buy new equipment, as I strongly suspect is the case with emissions.

If a load gets shot through a curtain, it’s messy but the chances are the vehicle will stay upright. If it’s “clamped to the floor” as they’re so fond of saying, the vehicle ends up on its side. That’s evidently not safer, but the clean-up is likely to be simpler and cheaper.

If they were really interested in “load security” there would be no shortage of secure parking…

Ridiculous isn’t it.

But like robroy says, I also just play the game and give them nothing to moan at. I’m paid hourly, so if it takes me an hour to strap a load that doesn’t really need strapping, or at least not to the extent DVSA want…so be it. More money in my bank.

DickyNick:

Drempels:

Ridiculous isn’t it.

But like robroy says, I also just play the game and give them nothing to moan at. I’m paid hourly, so if it takes me an hour to strap a load that doesn’t really need strapping, or at least not to the extent DVSA want…so be it. More money in my bank.

Yes indeed mate, you want that strapped? No bother. Why were you late leaving? I was strapping the load! :smiley:

eagerbeaver:

I would like to agree, with the above statement, and second the motion fully…

biggriffin:

eagerbeaver:

Double agreed.
I work for a supermarket and I know for a fact that there are far too many pointy shoed, white gloved ■■■■■ with specially made high-vises to denote their elevated position lurking about as it is.
They do ■■■■ all.

DickyNick:
It’s just a shame that in recent years DVSA have decided the laws of physics have change and pallets have suddenly started falling off lorries through curtains if they aren’t strapped :unamused:

Nothing new about regarding a curtainsider or tilt as a flat that just doesn’t need sheeting.That was certainly how I viewed it in the 1980’s at least.

Play it all by the book and watch the UK grind to a shuddering halt…It is coming, drivers are fed up with being the place where the buck stops, so are insisting on it all being by the book and rightly so in my opinion, you have to play them at their own rules or they will, sooner or later bite you and with society being ruled by fear, especially the fear of financial penalties, then it shall all grind slowly but surely to a halt…Personally, I can`t wait.

Look at what has happened to the high street, most of it through people being fed up with financial penalties for parking…The high street is dying, the rest of society will go the same way, you place financial penalties upon people for menial infringements, then watch the people either leave or dot the Is and cross the ts ……No one can have it all ways in this day and age…People have a limit.

eagerbeaver:

Finally, some sense amongst all the simpering.

It’s on its gawn, get the foot down.

Look up LKW Kontrolle on U tube. There are numerous videos of the polizei rummaging about in the back of trailers and apparently fining drivers for insecure loads. I can’t understand a word but I think I get the gist of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=BlhiDRBisw0

adam277:

biggriffin:

eagerbeaver:

Double agreed.
I work for a supermarket and I know for a fact that there are far too many pointy shoed, white gloved [zb] with specially made high-vises to denote their elevated position lurking about as it is.
They do [zb] all.

triple agreed! Drivers now days are becoming such a bunch of Nancy boys its unreal. thank god I still don’t run lorries anymore or I would have to get some pointy shoes to kick some arses! Supposed that would get me sued as well by these spineless wonders :laughing:

This whole H&S situation now makes me wonder how any work gets done at all. It’s always cited we’re unproductive as a nation, not surprising is it?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk