Working Time Directive

Grumpy Dad:

brianchalkyshaw:

Conor:

brianchalkyshaw:
Has anyone every been checked for their WTD break or is it grey area(some will do you some wont), currently Im multi dropper and Im just curious about WTD.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Official check no but have been given infringement notice when I exceeded 6hrs without a break following a RTA.

An on the spot fine?

Not sure if this includes WTD, but it states REST

gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

Talk about a money racket Im sure the RSA over here will be enforcing that [emoji23]

15 hour shift where the driving does not go over 4.5 hours in that shift

This is legal for WTD
work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

15 hour shift where the driving does not go over 4.5 hours in that shift

This is legal for WTD
work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 2 hours
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

why would anyone want to work for 6 hours without a break ■■?. or drive for 4/half without a break, ■■? ■■■ crazy.

gingo:
why would anyone want to work for 6 hours without a break ■■?. or drive for 4/half without a break, ■■? [zb] crazy.

Either get home early or if your paid by the backload or returns. So if you do 10 drops and 5 pick ups your extra money or bonus would be the 5 pickups.

gingo:
why e
would anyone want to work for 6 hours without a break ■■?. or drive for 4/half without a break, ■■? [zb] crazy.

What’s crazy about driving upto 4 and half hours without a break■■?

ArcticMonkey:

gingo:
why e
would anyone want to work for 6 hours without a break ■■?. or drive for 4/half without a break, ■■? [zb] crazy.

Getting to 4hrs 27 and nowhere to park

Grumpy Dad:

ArcticMonkey:

gingo:
why e

Even crazier is punching break at 4:29 yet watching it click round to 4:30, as happened to me once :imp: :imp: :imp:

WhiteTruckMan:

Grumpy Dad:

ArcticMonkey:

gingo:
why e

Even crazier is punching break at 4:29 yet watching it click round to 4:30, as happened to me once :imp: :imp: :imp:

4:30 is fine anyway, 4:31 wouldn’t be.

Tachos update the activity counter at the end of the minute, so if you stop driving 31 seconds into a calendar minute, then 29 seconds when the minute finishes then it works out how to record this minute which will be driving in this example and it will then add 1 minute to the driving time counter

Chris Cooke:

tachograph:
For the RT(WT)R you need to start a 15 minute break no later than 6 hours working time from the start of the shift or from the end of the last shift.
(Obviously this isn’t taking into account driving time breaks)

If you start work at 07:00 your first WTD break must start no later than 13:00.
You should have another 15 minute break no later than 6 hours from the end of the last break.

You do not necessarily need to have another break before 9 hours.

Sent from my mobile.

Doesn’t the WTD state that you need to show 30 minutes break up to 9 hours duty time, ie 15 mins within 6 hours duty and then another 15 within 6-9 hours duty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s 2 parts to the wtd breaks.

1. The 6 hour rule
    you can’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15 min break, a break of 15 or more allows you to work upto another 6 hours before needing another 15 min break. This works the same as driving 4.5 hours and a 45. (Only driving and other work count as working time)

2. The total break
    This is dependent on the amount of working time in the shift, only driving and other work count as working time for the wtd.

0-6 hours of working time = 0 break required
Over 6 but not over 9 = 30 mins of break/s
Over 9 = 45 mins of break/s required.
A shift can only be have 1 of the 3 apply, so ignore the other 2

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

So anyone who drives over 4.5 hours in a shift will have a 45 for that and tick the total break box for any shift, so all they’ll need to worry about is the 6 hour rule.

This is the extreme example of what is legal

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min

ArcticMonkey:

gingo:
why e

exactly…some of us are paid by the work we do, not just plodding along dragging our day out. If the wheels ain’t turning, you ain’t earning :laughing:

wide-load85:

ArcticMonkey:

gingo:
why e

exactly…some of us are paid by the work we do, not just plodding along dragging our day out. If the wheels ain’t turning, you ain’t earning [emoji38]

Was told by one of the many chiefs in my place that truck only earns money when its moving.

You can be prosecuted if you take too many breaks, stick to the EU legislation, that’s the important one!

WTD is Humbug

Wheel Nut:
You can be prosecuted if you take too many breaks, stick to the EU legislation, that’s the important one!

WTD is Humbug

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] prosecuted for too many breaks Ive heard it all now, so your sitting on a bay for 3 hours keys handed into the gatehouse and your on the bed watching youtube or the other one [emoji57] what you do in the cab is your business, so it goes on a break. In a previous discussion it was argued that this is not considered a break and now if you take to many breaks you can get done [emoji2357] they have you both ways. We dont want you to over work nor do we want to take too many breaks.

Wheel Nut:

WTD is Humbug

Most days I don’t do more than 4.5 hours driving though!

I don’t see why people have a thing about the wtd, anyone who thinks it’s complicated doesn’t understand it, it’s for the drivers benefit, not everyone just does loads of driving

brianchalkyshaw:

Wheel Nut:

WTD is Humbug

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] prosecuted for too many breaks Ive heard it all now, so your sitting on a bay for 3 hours keys handed into the gatehouse and your on the bed watching youtube or the other one [emoji57] what you do in the cab is your business, so it goes on a break. In a previous discussion it was argued that this is not considered a break and now if you take to many breaks you can get done [emoji2357] they have you both ways. We dont want you to over work nor do we want to take too many breaks.

2 drivers set off on identical runs together
They drive 2 hours and stop, 1 has a 15 the other a 45

They drive 2 hours and both stop for 30 mins break whilst being unloaded

They both drive the 4 hours back and finish

When this industry actually gets some balls, looks after it’s employees, where the 48 hour week (or some sort of sensible compromise between that and the ridiculous 70+) becomes an actual reality with wages adjusted to it, instead of a complete cluster ■■■■ of cop outs (courtesy of ■■■■ poa and the like :unamused: )
Then (and only then) will I take a valuable hour out of my life to actually learn all about the intracies of this ■■■■■■■■ as some of you apparentlly have. :neutral_face:
So until then I’ll only make sure I have a 15 min in 6 only to cover my arse.

I won’t hold my breath btw because of the idiots we have, who gladly and willinglly go all out to max out on single time, relatively working a week and a half in a week, and boasting they are on ‘‘good money’’ for it…so it won’t happen.
Cheers.

stevieboy308:

brianchalkyshaw:

Wheel Nut:

WTD is Humbug

2 drivers set off on identical runs together
They drive 2 hours and stop, 1 has a 15 the other a 45

They drive 2 hours and both stop for 30 mins break whilst being unloaded

They both drive the 4 hours back and finish

Driver 2 will be 30mins ahead of driver 1 either early on or on be back to the yard as he will of had a 45min break where driver 1 will of had 75mins of break… if all things are equal, meaning traffic is same for both drivers and speed limits are the same driver 2 will be back 30mins before driver 1.

brianchalkyshaw:

Wheel Nut:

WTD is Humbug

A break is a break regardless of where it’s taken, as long as during the period recorded as break the driver does not carry out a task which could be deemed as work, if you look up the definition of work under WTD this could be as menial as answering a work related phone call.
There are no restrictions as to the amount of breaks taken during a shift nor restrictions as to the length ( as long as they comply with driver regs )
What DVSA will question is where is the other work for events such as handing in paperwork, opening doors or curtains, securing loads, and daily checks including end of day.

brianchalkyshaw:

Wheel Nut:

WTD is Humbug

Many people get caught out because the tachograph resets its self and you end up with DVSA or your boss having a hissy fit.

45 minute breaks comprise of 15’s or 30’s but getting them the wrong way round gets infringements.