Working for Hermes

Unless you have the patience of a saint and are into being treated like a ■■■■■■, you will last a week.

Washwipe:
Hope Hermes are better to work for than the service they provide, absolute shower.

Treat people like ■■■■■ and they’ll lose interest in the job and then your service and reputation goes downhill. Awful company and full of bullies in the warehouse and kids for the bullies to prey on. I’d love that Burtonwood hub to burn down.

Had an assessment in Nuneaton around 2yrs ago. Passed the driving but failed the theory. The assessor gave me some literature to brush up on, which I did, and passed when I returned a week later to resit it.
Very shortly after the operation moved to Rugby and I was given a shift out of there. Arrived early and appeared keen but was told my unit had not yet returned and to wait in the room. I was given a run somewhere south with times on and was already late which I explained to the clerk/gaffer behind the desk. No worries was the reply. The unit eventually showed up a couple of hours later and I was chased until I got the load to the security barrier. Arrived at the delivery depot and it was pitch black. Guy came out of the warehouse door arms flailing and shouting you’re late blah blah. Didn’t even bother to explain to him why. Put my trailer on the bay given to me and was asked to shunt trailers around the yard. I said it’s really dark and I wasn’t comfortable moving trailers in that environment. He pointed over to a trailer and said that’s yours to go back to Rugby. I asked if I could have a break and he said no room, have it outside. I was really ■■■■■■ with his attitude so I thought I’d ring Rugby and complain about him. Before I could, I got a call asking why I wasn’t complying with requests, I explained why and he said that was not what he was hearing. I though bollox to this. I wanted to go back into the warehouse and find the ■■■■ and have a word but thought better of it. Was expecting a bollocking when I returned but they were as nice as pie. Got my kit and went home. Bad experience perhaps, a one off possibly but I have no desire ever to return to that ■■■■■■■■■ ever.

TomCrin:
Had an assessment in Nuneaton around 2yrs ago. Passed the driving but failed the theory. The assessor gave me some literature to brush up on, which I did, and passed when I returned a week later to resit it.
Very shortly after the operation moved to Rugby and I was given a shift out of there. Arrived early and appeared keen but was told my unit had not yet returned and to wait in the room. I was given a run somewhere south with times on and was already late which I explained to the clerk/gaffer behind the desk. No worries was the reply. The unit eventually showed up a couple of hours later and I was chased until I got the load to the security barrier. Arrived at the delivery depot and it was pitch black. Guy came out of the warehouse door arms flailing and shouting you’re late blah blah. Didn’t even bother to explain to him why. Put my trailer on the bay given to me and was asked to shunt trailers around the yard. I said it’s really dark and I wasn’t comfortable moving trailers in that environment. He pointed over to a trailer and said that’s yours to go back to Rugby. I asked if I could have a break and he said no room, have it outside. I was really ■■■■■■ with his attitude so I thought I’d ring Rugby and complain about him. Before I could, I got a call asking why I wasn’t complying with requests, I explained why and he said that was not what he was hearing. I though bollox to this. I wanted to go back into the warehouse and find the [zb] and have a word but thought better of it. Was expecting a bollocking when I returned but they were as nice as pie. Got my kit and went home. Bad experience perhaps, a one off possibly but I have no desire ever to return to that [zb], ever.

The big nasty man shouted at me, and wanted me to move some trailers, but it was Dark,. So I told my mum, she said don’t worry son, you come home for a cry…

Bloody workshy snowflake

I showed an interest at Hermes via Staffline, but once I found out it was C2 days rather than the anticipated Trunking, Nights - I lost interest.

I hear that daytime C2 drivers are run ragged in a similar manner to “Knowhow” drivers…

Daytime multidrop work, where I don’t even know if you get parking fines paid by the firm when you find you have to park up pavements, and on double yellows, etc to make a drop at some address that is on a main road…

I would imagine that the nighttime trunk work - is like a “dead man’s shoes” job, and rather similar to Fedex, where as other posters above have indicated “you’re not allowed to stop on route”…?

I never got around to finding what the hourly rate was like, but it can’t be as good as supermarkets, or they’d be bragging about it - right?

TomCrin:
Very shortly after the operation moved to Rugby and I was given a shift out of there. Arrived early and appeared keen but was told my unit had not yet returned and to wait in the room. I was given a run somewhere south with times on and was already late which I explained to the clerk/gaffer behind the desk. No worries was the reply. The unit eventually showed up a couple of hours later and I was chased until I got the load to the security barrier. Arrived at the delivery depot and it was pitch black. Guy came out of the warehouse door arms flailing and shouting you’re late blah blah. Didn’t even bother to explain to him why. Put my trailer on the bay given to me and was asked to shunt trailers around the yard. I said it’s really dark and I wasn’t comfortable moving trailers in that environment. He pointed over to a trailer and said that’s yours to go back to Rugby. I asked if I could have a break and he said no room, have it outside. I was really ■■■■■■ with his attitude so I thought I’d ring Rugby and complain about him. Before I could, I got a call asking why I wasn’t complying with requests, I explained why and he said that was not what he was hearing. I though bollox to this. I wanted to go back into the warehouse and find the [zb] and have a word but thought better of it. Was expecting a bollocking when I returned but they were as nice as pie. Got my kit and went home. Bad experience perhaps, a one off possibly but I have no desire ever to return to that [zb], ever.

With so many yards taking a “Plenty of other fish in the sea” attitude, it may well be the case that the less reputable firms (Eg. Any block-booker via agency…) will routinely abuse the “Newbie driver”, as if they turn on their heel, and refuse anything chucked at them - that’s a bod that they then get out of paying as a client for whatever agency they block-book through…

I’ve seen this at places like DHL, Lenham, Mainstream, and of course ADN where attempts to pick the hapless new worker’s pocket - are legion.

That first couple of lines in the post above - I’ve seen “Take a seat - it’ll be about 3 hours wait, and then we’ll give you a clocking in card, and you can start your shift at that point”.

That’s good if you get told straight away, as I’m already on my way back to the visitor’s car park by that point. :unamused:
…Imagine how bad you’d feel if, having sat there for said 3 hours waiting for a unit to become available, you then get clocked on and paid only from THAT point, then get pushed to hurry out the gate before time to do your proper vehicle checks OR taken straight out by a turning-up assessor who insists on taking his lunch hour before anything else… .Ahem - you suddenly don’t get your promised clocking in card for another hour now… :unamused:

Beware of those firms that want as many hours out of you as possible “up-front, and off book”, as I doubt if you’re properly insured there neither, if you think about it…

the nodding donkey:
and if a driver decides to, say go get a mediocre takeaway coffee, or go fetch a mobile phone, it impacts on the whole schedule

OOOOOOOFT.gif

And the ref takes a point away! Try to keep those gloves up! :laughing:

biggriffin:

TomCrin:

The big nasty man shouted at me, and wanted me to move some trailers, but it was Dark,. So I told my mum, she said don’t worry son, you come home for a cry…

Bloody workshy snowflake

Ha ha. No snowflake here son. First bit of driving since my test and what the prat was asking me to do was, due to no lighting, v dangerous and probably would of ended up me damaging something or somebody. Not worth the risk for what I can only see as a bunch of cowboys.

TomCrin:

I pull for hermes and to be honest your experience is pretty much still ongoing.
Alot of depots have banksman who think they know it all.
TBH it’s a good little job,I just do trunking.
Thurrock or avonmouth is my favourite run but Pen y Bont is the worst,Lovely run down there but it goes down hill after that.
As Professional drivers we are ment to remain calm but sometimes the men in blue just want it and…Its a invitation so Give it back.
Office staff seem fair enough

I passed my C2 with Peter Smythe mid-August and, after a little bit of 7.5 tonne work, got an assessment with Hermes today. They seem to be one of the few companies that are willing to look at new drivers. I was a little apprehensive as the assessment involved a theory test on Highway Code and drivers hours and a driver assessment. The last time I’d driven a C2 was in Peter’s yard!

Anyway - I thought I’d go along just to get behind the wheel for the experience, not expecting great things. However, everything went really well and I was offered a job!

I know there are many stories about Hermes on this post - and there must be at least an element of truth in all of them - but forewarned is forearmed - and to get a foot on the ladder, some experience and a job feels like a great start - and a possible step to bigger and better opportunities in the future…!

NoddyR:
I passed my C2 with Peter Smythe mid-August and, after a little bit of 7.5 tonne work, got an assessment with Hermes today. They seem to be one of the few companies that are willing to look at new drivers. I was a little apprehensive as the assessment involved a theory test on Highway Code and drivers hours and a driver assessment. The last time I’d driven a C2 was in Peter’s yard!

Anyway - I thought I’d go along just to get behind the wheel for the experience, not expecting great things. However, everything went really well and I was offered a job!

I know there are many stories about Hermes on this post - and there must be at least an element of truth in all of them - but forewarned is forearmed - and to get a foot on the ladder, some experience and a job feels like a great start - and a possible step to bigger and better opportunities in the future…!

Try it, it be some experience and its a start up the ladder. As with most jobs some will hate it, some will enjoy it. If its not for you leave but any experience will help you find a new job. BEST OF LUCK and i hope it goes ok.

As above I used a company with ■■■■ reputation to gain tipper experience good luck cheers Ray

NoddyR:

I dont think the job itself is bad. Very slowly getting better as the office staff are getting abit more organised. Rotas coming out abit earlier and an actual rolling rota in place so you can plan your life outside work. You will inevitably have days/nights where you get the short runs so will be moving pallets more than you will be driving but there are some longer runs aswell.

Be wary of SOLUS runs. Some of the addresses you get sent to are v tight and dodgy.

They have sometimes been throwing new people in at the deep end and not having them shadow other drivers. If they do this to you don’t be afraid to talk to the other drivers about the drops you have. Some of the addresses in the pack you will be given are not correct, some have a couple of gates but some gates you shouldn’t use etc.

A good place to build up experience for sure!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I worked at the new Nottingham depot on a class 2. Lasted for 3 days!

I enjoyed the job but hated the way the manager would ring ever minute to see where im at, how long am i going to be and why am i late?

Asking why im late? the operatives/loaders took their time, gave me wrong sacks or too many then you got to go through all the sacks to find the right ones for each home. There’s traffic and other cars on the road. It’s not exactly a drone im flying AND THEN you huff and puff?? see ya. Don’t blame the drivers. We got to take our breaks and also… we dont exactly go for a joy ride while on the job.

Im a new driver so i dont know if this is the norm for truckers but i couldn’t work under that manager.

… got that off my chest.

I do night class 1 trunking for them. I’d say it’s fairly well organised. Just turn up on time, do what you’re supposed to and go home again.

Runs are planned tight, but generally it takes a combination of heavy traffic and a big motorway closures to make you late. There’s no aggro providing you let them know what’s going on.

The motors are a bit variable.

I’d say it would stress me right out as a new driver. Once you get to realise that all you really need to do is turn up on time and the rest of the shift is their problem, it gets a lot easier!