Winter tyres on car

Well the Daily Express says this will be the worst winter ever. Possibly worse than the last ice age so it makes sense to plan :unamused:

On subject… does where you live tend to get exceptional levels of snow? If so then maybe its worth it but for the bulk of the UK is it really justifiable? It was dicey in March but my bog standard tyres and a bit of sense ensured I kept going past many stranded vehicles.

Contrary to the fondly held beliefs expressed by others above, Winter tyres don’t wear out quicker than Summer ones (even if used all year round). What you do need to bear in mind though is that Winter tyres don’t perform anywhere near as well (in snow) as new ones once they have worn below about 4mm (they have a second set of Tread Wear Indicators that show when they have worn to this point), and they certainly don’t grip as well as Summer tyres in warmer conditions, especially in the dry. There is also a common fallacy that Winter tyres only have any advantage over Summer tyres in snow - again, not true. Their tread compound is optimised to remain flexible at cold temperatures (i.e. below around 7 degrees Celsius) which enables them to grip the road surface and continue to expel water efficiently. They continue to exhibit this advantage even when worn below the 4mm level mentioned earlier.

I have a Quattro although I don’t have winter tyres I do have a winter car :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
I have a Quattro although I don’t have winter tyres I do have a winter car :laughing:

That thing must be older than me and I’m 43 [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nomiS36:

Drempels:

nomiS36:
I personally don’t bother but do know how good they are. As a committed BMW nut I’m all too well aware of how carp they are in the snow. Like somebody else has said, just adjust your driving style to suit the conditions and have fun. Having said all that I do live and commute around the doncaster area which is fairly flat. If I lived in the Cornish back and beyond I might take a different view.
My concession to gaining grip was to have a quaife lsd fitted to my E92 330d :smiling_imp: Not for drifting or doughnut antics of coarse, just better traction :wink:

How much was that from Quiafe?! I still shudder at what one cost me for my old Mexico… :open_mouth:

£1600 fitted from Birds BMW near slough. Not cheap but well worth it on a Mapped diesel with over 600nm of torque.

Ouch! Not a fan of BMW since the end of the E30, but I do like the look of the new 1 (or could be 2) series saloon. Think I saw an M version the other day, bet it would be fun! :smiley:

blue estate:

Punchy Dan:

It’s a late one actually ,it’s a W 1980 iirc you can get a new shape 3cx on W reg :wink:

Punchy Dan:

blue estate:

Punchy Dan:

It’s a late one actually ,it’s a W 1980 iirc you can get a new shape 3cx on W reg :wink:

That’s still 38years old

You are talking about a biggish expenditure for something that might not happen. Go on ebay and look for spray on chains. Not a joke you can buy a spray for your tyres and the stuff works reasonably well. I used to ski and had winter tyres on my Micra ,they made a lot of difference. I used to pass stuck 4x4s the drivers :smiley: :smiley: had all the gear but no idea.

Mitchelin Cross Climates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truckertang:
If it gets that bad then stay home, put kettle on and watch homes under the hammer…
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You mean driving a Rover Metro? Good shout.

alamcculloch:
You are talking about a biggish expenditure for something that might not happen. Go on ebay and look for spray on chains. Not a joke you can buy a spray for your tyres and the stuff works reasonably well. I used to ski and had winter tyres on my Micra ,they made a lot of difference. I used to pass stuck 4x4s the drivers :smiley: :smiley: had all the gear but no idea.

Do they ruin the tyres in the long run?

adam277:

alamcculloch:

Do they ruin the tyres in the long run?

Only if you take them on the double black diamond runs :laughing:

Old John:
I have Michelin Cross Climates on my runabout van. They are excellent in the wet , wear well and are very quiet. They are not a full winter tyre but are much much better than ordinary tyres in ice and snow conditions.
I will certainly fit them again.

Yes have CrossClimate+ myself and on an Auto Saab last winter in the snow were great & never once gave cause for concern.

Think I’m just going to buy a can of that stuff mentioned above or buy some tyre chains as it seems the cheapest thing to do.
You’re right makes no sense spending so much on tires for a few days of bad weather.

I fitted some bridgestone blizzaks 18 inch square set up as recommended by BMW as opposed to the standard 19 inch staggered set up on my M3 two weeks ago, I drove it all last winter in 6 inches of snow on summer tyres , never again !!! , got stuck a few times and had to abandon it at the side of a busy A road, then walked back later in the day to recover it when the gritters had passed by.

roadrunner:
I fitted some bridgestone blizzaks 18 inch square set up as recommended by BMW as opposed to the standard 19 inch staggered set up on my M3 two weeks ago, I drove it all last winter in 6 inches of snow on summer tyres , never again !!! , got stuck a few times and had to abandon it at the side of a busy A road, then walked back later in the day to recover it when the gritters had passed by.

Was it an AUTO by any chance?
Problem with an M3 + auto is even a gentle tap in 1st often gives way too much power :stuck_out_tongue:.

Tbh if it gets bad like last winter I might consider just not using the car.
Last winter I got rear ended and even if that guy didn’t hit me I saw plenty of idiots not having a clue how to drive in winter and skidding about all over the place.

I swooped my wheels last week, alloys off and winter continental T850 tyres on steel rims fitted in their place. I’ve run the same set of winter tyres for the last 4 years, using them for around 3-4 months each year depending on what weather conditions

You do not need winter tyres in the majority of Britain , it’s a clever marketing ploy and nothing more , I struggle to believe how many people fall for this BS . Where I live we have 5+ months of snow with temps down into the minus 40s , not a winter tyre to be seen . We do have AWD and 4WD but run decent quality all seasons , no issues in 13 yrs and counting . Drive like a ■■■ and winters won’t save you .

Duno if still do it. But halfords or possibly Kwik fit. Last winter were offering snow tyres.
They tried selling me.some when I went for a new car tyre.
Idea they said you buy set snow tyres . We fit them for you. We the store your tyres. After winter has gone come back were swop them over again for you.
Then we’re store the winter tyres ready for you next year.

It’s easier to mount the tyres on spare rims, than pay someone twice each year to swop tyres into the same rims. The profit I made on Royal Mail shares a few years ago paid for my winters