Winter tyres

What are your thoughts?

Have you driven a vehicle with winter tyres?

What do you think of them?

Have you got them on your car?

Should they be compulsory for trucks?

They recently relaxed the law on Winter tyres in Sweden, and are now looking at tightening it again

truckingtopics.co.uk/wintertyresweden.html

They are excellent if the temp is below about 7 degs…

On snow/wet roads they will always out perform summer tyres (by up to around 50%). But, when the weather picks up you’re better with summer tyres so for the car you ideally need two sets of wheels… :open_mouth:

I’ve got very unfashionable steel wheels on my Volvo car, so just get the tyres swapped in November and March.

Staggering difference on snow and ice (better than 4x4), and a good bit better on a cold wet road too.

Has anyone got them on their truck?

Had them fitted on my old coach…

i put a pair on the front of my front wheel drive car a couple of months ago and they are excellent…as soon as the weather warms up they will go on the back till next winter.

My gaffer had a set put on the truck before Christmas, I noticed the difference straight away, they are a lot softer and stickier. The tyres I had before were crap, you couldn’t even think about accelerating off a roundabout down a slip road as they would just start to slightly spin and slip but no problems now.

FarnboroughBoy11:
My gaffer had a set put on the truck before Christmas, I noticed the difference straight away, they are a lot softer and stickier. The tyres I had before were crap, you couldn’t even think about accelerating off a roundabout down a slip road as they would just start to slightly spin and slip but no problems now.

Thats very rare to find FB, a boss who invests some sensible yre money to keep his vehicle moving safely, never known a UK haulier do this, i asked our tyre supplier about them and he said no one seems to bother in the lorry game.
I would invest in a spare set for the drive axle if i was an OD.

I’m a car winter tyre convert, been running a spare set of alloys fitted with Nokian winters for 4 or 5 years now, never get a grip problem, still well over 6mm tread left.

Despite my old banger being RWD i simply drive round FWD cars spinning tyres like billio and getting nowhere fast.

Winter tyres on the truck :laughing: A set of tyres just for the Winter :laughing:

I have to put my own screenwash in it, I’m even under pressure 'Cos the tracking system is showing a massive increase in the idle running time !

I fitted some to the arse end of my beemer and I I’ve not been stuck in it yet. … there’s another thread with more details

The main problem is, the winter tyres getting worn very fast, if they are on the wehicle all years long. So, if you have them, they should be removed in March, that means, you have to spend more money on tyres and fitting. :neutral_face:

our winters arent severe enough to justify winter tyres...weve had a couple of snowy days,culminating in about 1 foot of snow(in total),which was largely kept at bay by the gritting teams.
it`s going to turn mild this weekend…and may well stay that way untill spring.what am i suposed to do…buy a spare set of alloys,and swap wheels every time a bit of frost or snow is forcast :question:
and what are these "summer"tyres everybody keeps going on about :question: …i replaced the tyres on my car with the same ones it came on…are you suggesting that they are only suitable for warm dry weather use :question: …i ■■■■■■ hope not at nearly £600 quid a set.
just fit a set of good quality all round tyres on your motor,and leave the winter compounds for the scandinavians etc…who really do get winters :bulb:
talk about panic buying :unamused:

If you operate in a rural area changing over to winter tyres makes sense.We often have to fend for ourselves so far as road maintenance goes.

I use winter tyres. If I have to stay at home because the roads are too slippery to drive on safely using normal tyres, I lose more income than a set of winter tyres costs me. If I lost several days income because I put the van in the ditch I would be well in the red. I am also saving wear on my normal tyres between November and March while they sit in my shed. It costs me £40 a time to have 8 tyres changed over from the normal set to the winter set and vis versa. I have a pair of Fiat Scudos, 1 a van, the other an MPV. Winter tyres are fantastic.

Of course I’m an above average driver, just like the rest of us, so I need winter tyres. :laughing:

i live in a semi rural area,and have travelled home through a rural area tonite to avoid traffic on the a38…at no time was i wishing i had winter tyres fitted

Big Jon’s dad:
Of course I’m an above average driver, just like the rest of us, so I need winter tyres. :laughing:

and you live in canada…i live in derbyshire,so winter tyres are not required

I wouldn’t be without mine. They’re on a cheap set of rims from eBay so swapping doesn’t take long

commonrail:
our winters arent severe enough to justify winter tyres...weve had a couple of snowy days,culminating in about 1 foot of snow(in total),which was largely kept at bay by the gritting teams.
it`s going to turn mild this weekend…and may well stay that way untill spring.what am i suposed to do…buy a spare set of alloys,and swap wheels every time a bit of frost or snow is forcast :question:
and what are these "summer"tyres everybody keeps going on about :question: …i replaced the tyres on my car with the same ones it came on…are you suggesting that they are only suitable for warm dry weather use :question: …i [zb] hope not at nearly £600 quid a set.
just fit a set of good quality all round tyres on your motor,and leave the winter compounds for the scandinavians etc…who really do get winters :bulb:
talk about panic buying :unamused:

Winter tyres aren’t just for snow. They work better in all conditions below 7 degrees C. I keep mine on from November to March, They do cost about £600 for 4 good winter tyres, but my other set of tyres are not being used while the winter set is on, so both sets last longer than they would if I was using them all year.
I can assure you winter tyres make a big difference to your grip, even on a dry road, which is instantly noticeable after you have them fitted. In fact when you go back to normal tyres in March you feel you aren’t quite so in control as the grip is poorer.

commonrail:

Big Jon’s dad:

and you live in canada…i live in derbyshire,so winter tyres are not required

No I don’t. I live in Staffordshire.
I require winter tyres and I pay for them.

I have had a set of snow tyres for my transit van for seven years.I put them on at the beginning of December and take them off at the end of March.Just got a spare set of wheels and had them fitted.
Can go through a foot of snow,no problem.
Got winter tyres on my sprinter,but haven’t tried them yet.

I like to think I have a wide circle of friends & aquaintances, & I have certainly been around long enough to experience some pretty bad winters.

I didn’t hear of the existence of Winter tyres untill 3yrs ago. I still don’t know anyone personally who uses them.

This is despite spending more than a few weekends a year on a Derbyshire hill farm, where a set of snow chains are kept on standby for the SWB Series 3 Land Rover that gets used only when it gets really bad up there.

Also. One of my bestest mates owns & runs an independant tyre & exhaust garage, he never heard of ‘Winter tyres’ untill 3yrs ago either?

You don’t think, maybe, all this talk about ‘Winter tyres’ is playing a small part of conditioning us into believing that our climate is becoming more extreme, 'Cos I’m sorry, 2 INCHES of snow does not a disaster zone make.