WILLEME

Still alive LD610 from the last generation.

Front and back cover of a 1962 leaflet

This ex-Mayer extra-load Willeme PRP TG 200 is to sell .

Like its ‘big brother’ TG 250, twice very rare lorries to buy…

Willeme%20BMC.jpg
!CFKn89!Bmk~$(KGrHqN,!lUE1F0mJsZzBNUQsq6rCQ~~0_35.jpg

9029_1_020WillemeLF101THSchlechtbach24042009.jpg

willeme-ld-610-10.jpg
willemeK301_1.jpg

michel:

The cab looks a lot better mounted on that tall chassis. Fabulous. What a beautiful machine.

michel:
This ex-Mayer extra-load Willeme PRP TG 200 is to sell .

Evening all,

Looks a bit sad that old TG 200 Willeme 8x4 does she not?..Well let consider the facts…

The “later” MKTS, (Then to become Transalliance) paint does not show her handsome lines when first purchased by Nancy based Transports Mayer…their deep green and white cab roof was far more attractive!

Acquired in April 1973, powered by a Detroit 13.95 litre V12 Serie 71@390 hp, (later quite a bit more), driving through a Clark Auto box…rapidly replaced with a Fuller RTO1213, (far better suited to the Detroits rapid die down, and need for revs to perform, as explained to me by Charles Dhur, and Jacques Mayer). The original triple reduction Willeme bogie was replaced by tandem Clark triple reduction axles, (a common modification on most French heavy haulers of the period).

Big old girl, 200 tonne gtw rated, with the lift out ballast in that box, she tared @55 tonnes, and sat 8.20m long, and , (outside “code”), @ 2.80m wide on her 1400x20 tyres. Behind that tilting Pelpel cab sat a 75tonne winch from one of Mayer et Courteaux`s Pacific ex US army tractors.

Later in her life she was utilised only as a “pusher”, (which probably accounts for her “humpy back” looks today) She was re powered in the 80s with a " little" 335 ■■■■■■■■ (same as Mayers TBO Berliets), and I presume that is still in her today. She often ran, when used as a "front line" tractor with loads of 250/400 tonnes, often assisted with one of Mayers TBO Berliets, or the tractor that followed her into Mayers fleet in 1974, a 6x4 TG 150, @150 tonnes, with the same 13.95 litre Detroit @ 390 hp, but with an Allison auto, and torque converter . Still on 14.00x20 tyres on the front, with the bogie on 1400x 24s. This tractor was acquired to replace some of the TBO 95 tonne Berliets, and give extra capacity…in practice she became her own “woman” working in tandem with the TBOs, and also with the TG 200 8x4, older sister! Again she was fitted in Mayers workshops with a 75 tonne Garwood winch from another obsolete Pacific tractor. Again as with her 8x4 sister the Willeme axles were replaced by Clark triple reduction units, but not in Mayers works, but by Soc Auto industrie de lest at Eillecourt…who als swopped the auto box for a 1213 Fuller…Truly no combination of engine and gearbox could ever, or would ever produce such an incredible symphonic sound as a V12 Detroit conducted by a 13 speed Fuller…and two together…WOW!

But there was another 8x4 TG in Mayers fleet, one with Mercedes V12 power… OM 404 @430 hp, through a ZF box, and in tractor form, (32tonne imposed load on the 5th wheel. Acquired in great condition, second handfrom the Engineering Company Fives Lilles Cailes, complete with a 12 line Nicolas trailer module. Mayer favouring both Nicolas, and Dellattre-Levier modules averaging 12/16 lines, for payloads of 250/500 tonnes imposed, with a net weight of 80/100 tonnes…no wonder that pictured TG 200 looks tired!

But the last handsome picture from Michel is Mayers 250 tonne 8x8 Willeme, ■■■■■■■ KTA powered @450 hp, 250 tonne gtw, (always exceeded), with a net weight of 60 tonnes. 1400x 24 s Clark triple reduction bogie, Clark auto box with retarder…(and Mayers drivers always confirmed that they preferred the Detroits Jacob brake…the oil in the Clark box used to boil frequently on long downhill bits)! The 8x8 was acquired by financing through the EDF ( Electrictie de France), Grouping of premier heavy haulers , Zucconi, Mayer, STAG, and Scalex, (Leyx), into GIE Group, (Groupe de intéret economique), to co ordinate transports for the new French Nuclear power industry. Four of the TG 250 8x8 tractors were ordered, michels picture shows the Mayer one.

Believe me, these are big girls, but so well balanced, so well braked, and just so powerful, real big hitters! Ex Leyx/Scalex, and now Scales drivers have told ne that the current big MAN 6x6 heavy tractors simply are not as good as the big Willeme 8x8s, nor so are the big Mercedes 6x6s. As anorak says, those 8x8 TGs are simply beautiful to behold…but the sound of a KTA simply does not stir the soul like a big V12 Detroit, with a manual box… Grenoble to Lyon with 330 tonne payload…no problem…

What machines those TG Willeme tractors, produced under licence by Perez et Raimond from Villeneuve- la-Garenne, (Frances Detroit/GM agent).........and had things not changed for Saviem with our marriage to Berliet..........then the TG s would have become Saviems)…but that is another tale for another day…

Funny old world the lorry job…

Now how can I “sweet talk” M Saviem… for rarely such gems appear on the market ■■?

Ive some thinking to do…Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Truly no combination of engine and gearbox could ever, or would ever produce such an incredible symphonic sound as a V12 Detroit conducted by a 13 speed Fuller…and two together…WOW!
the sound of a KTA simply does not stir the soul like a big V12 Detroit, with a manual box… Grenoble to Lyon with 330 tonne payload…no problem…

Blimey Saviem you’ll be joining me in a load of aggro with Bewick with that type of talk. :smiling_imp: :smiley: :laughing: But spot on sort of a cross between 250 GT Ferrari and Lancaster bomber on full song.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmytwZnXgjM

youtube.com/watch?v=-yiIbkcQBzI

But the 16v71 could give a good account of itself even when lumbered with the Allison. :wink:

It looks there’s more about French trucks here than on French Forums! Far enough for me to join TruckNetUK.

A very unusal look for this Willème K18-8B (c. 1949) and its 225 bhp 18 litre straight-8. Most of them were bonneted, but a few were fitted with this Douzet cab.

Froggy55:
It looks there’s more about French trucks here than on French Forums! Far enough for me to join TruckNetUK.

A very unusal look for this Willème K18-8B (c. 1949) and its 225 bhp 18 litre straight-8. Most of them were bonneted, but a few were fitted with this Douzet cab.

Welcome to Trucknet Froggy55, have you looked at “Saviem’s fan club” thread? Plenty of French trucks on there!

pete smith:

Froggy55:

Welcome to Trucknet Froggy55, have you looked at “Saviem’s fan club” thread? Plenty of French trucks on there!

Hi Pete,

Yes, it’s through a link leading to that thread I got to know the Forum a couple of days ago. Having lived in london 1965-73, I’m also interested in 1940-1970 British trucks, and hope to find some interesting pages here! I intended to use a 1950 AEC Mammoth Major 8 MK III as a gravatar, but with the 8.91 Ko size, it just looks like a greyish stain!

Froggy55:

pete smith:

Froggy55:

Hi Pete,

Yes, it’s through a link leading to that thread I got to know the Forum a couple of days ago. Having lived in london 1965-73, I’m also interested in 1940-1970 British trucks, and hope to find some interesting pages here! I intended to use a 1950 AEC Mammoth Major 8 MK III as a gravatar, but with the 8.91 Ko size, it just looks like a greyish stain!

Fergie and Michel are your men for the French pictures and Saviem for the knowledge behind the product! There are plenty of threads with British trucks to keep you busy :smiley:

michel:

Yes, I was officially informed this morning thay had just been put for sale, one of them (the 8x4) with a brand new ■■■■■■■■ Here, in France, I think they wouldn’t pass the checkup and, anyway, they’re outdated. I know some of the PRP-Willèmes were sold in China. Maybe it could start a new life in Iran, now the economic ban has been lifted? They’ll surely need heavy haulage tractors to move the components of the nuclear power stations they intend to build.

TG200 action… youtube.com/watch?v=6DCaDGH_2mA
Oily

oiltreader:
TG200 action… youtube.com/watch?v=6DCaDGH_2mA
Oily

Evening all,

Oilly, I don’t think that that TG is really ex Zucconi! But she looks nice…but sounds very feeble compared to the V12 Detroit versions as Mayer ran.

Big old girls though, you can see that as they loaded her up, those 8x4 TG 200 tonners were 2.80 m wide over the bogie. She should weigh in @55 tonnes with her ballast, but that one has little if any in her box…but you can see the Garwood, (ex Pacific) 75 tonne winch behind her cab. Thanks for posting that clip!

Froggy 55, Welcome!..the Chinese TGs were rated @1000 tonnes, and at least one still remains in work! Interesting story to those two, as well as the Polish ZTE ones. Some of the last Perez et Raimond produced. Sammyopposite has posted a picture of the ZTE TG and their Faun 8x8 on the Saviem Fan Club thread.

Thanks to all, Gosh those TGs were King of their time…now sadly passed…

Cheerio for now.

More of the TG250 here:
europe-camions.com/tracteur- … asion.html
Here’s what it looks like from the driver’s seat:

The engine cover is high, considering the height of the cab. Also, I thought they were tilt cabs- why does there seem to be a means of opening the bonnet?

[zb]
anorak:
More of the TG250 here:
europe-camions.com/tracteur- … asion.html
Here’s what it looks like from the driver’s seat:
The engine cover is high, considering the height of the cab. Also, I thought they were tilt cabs- why does there seem to be a means of opening the bonnet?

Just off to bed anorak, and saw your post…

Yes the Pelpel cab tilts, but there was provision to access the power plant via a hinged panel on the engine “hump”…originally designed for the KTA motor, which was considerably higher than the V serie Detroits, (12/16 cylinder)

Does not look a lot of room in there?..Wrong, the way the Pelpel cab sat, the drivers seat, and the gear lever selector for the Clark box were very close to hand, the selector could be moved almost whil`st the wheel was being turned. But on the 12 13 Fuller 8x4 versions as Mayers, it was better… the lever being right against the wheel, and changes could be made almost with a palm movement!

The critical gauge on the 8X8 was right over on the right, the oil temperature of the Clark box and retarder…it would, and could rise alarmingly on downgrades, (the only real deficit of the transmission )! The Clark box was a very easy box to use with both its Torque Converter, and Retarder. Yet Mayer`s drivers that I knew much preferred the Detroit 13.9 litre coupled to a simple Jacobs brake. This they reckoned was a far more “driver friendly” combination, that gave the driver more control to whatever the outfit was threatening to do, than the Clark option. But there is no doubt that the Triple Reduction Clark axles were far stronger in operation than the original Willeme designs, (but to swop Clark for Berliet was an accepted modification on the big TBO, and GBO conversions for heavy haulage on those magnificent Berliet machines).

Anorak, the only down side of that tilting Pelpel built version of the Horizon Willeme cab was the lack of sound proofing…a common European failure of the `70s! It was the reason that Zuconi chose KTA ■■■■■■■ over Detroit for their 8x8s…the noise…and what a noise indeed!

Im away to my bed…with a wee Bollinger for comfort!..Gosh how I loved those big girls! ! !

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Oilly, I don’t think that that TG is really ex Zucconi! But she looks nice…but sounds very feeble compared to the V12 Detroit versions as Mayer ran.

Saviem check this out it’s one of the few if any references to the 12v92 T series :open_mouth: :smiley: in a truck ( FTF). I’m surprised that Willeme users didn’t try that fit instead of the KTA.

It would be great to find out what that spec with twin turbos was putting out.I’d guess probably north of 800 hp maybe closer to 1,000. :open_mouth: :bulb: :wink:

detroitdiesel.nl/truck.html