Why is selling Adblue emulator not illegal?

Am I being stupid or what, I haven’t a clue what this means can son1 explain in simple terms thanks

It’s a device that fools the engine’s control unit into thinking that AdBlue* is being delivered to the exhaust system, when it is not.

This causes the engine to emit illegal levels of NOx in the exhaust gas.

*AdBlue is an aqueous solution of urea. When injected into the exhaust the heat turns it into ammonia. The ammonia reacts with a catalyst in the exhaust and the NOx in the exhaust gas. The ammonia and NOx are converted into water vapour, nitrogen and CO2.

Relatively cheap in bulk but will still add weight. Ive specced my FH with the largest adblu tank at 110 litres and relatively insignificant compared to the 1480 litre diesel tank but…it still at least an extra 110kgs ( considerably more with the adblue heater and other associated components) all in the name of emissions.
Other issues are cost to repair when the system goes wrong. Couple this with a fleet of trucks and its not surprising some go for the cheap option of fooling the ECU with a cheap plug in…

AndrewG:
Relatively cheap in bulk but will still add weight. Ive specced my FH with the largest adblu tank at 110 litres and relatively insignificant compared to the 1480 litre diesel tank but…it still at least an extra 110kgs ( considerably more with the adblue heater and other associated components) all in the name of emissions.
Other issues are cost to repair when the system goes wrong. Couple this with a fleet of trucks and its not surprising some go for the cheap option of fooling the ECU with a cheap plug in…

Tanks you mean surely!

dave_k:

AndrewG:

Tanks you mean surely!

No, just the one. Its a long wheel base 4x2, fits all the way behind the side air deflector…

AndrewG:

dave_k:

AndrewG:

Tanks you mean surely!

No, just the one. Its a long wheel base 4x2, fits all the way behind the side air deflector…

Ah ok, always thought you’d need twin tanks even on a 4x2 to achieve that sort of capacity.

chaversdad:
I reckon the OP ,s been sold a dud one so he.s got his knickers in a twist, either that or hes undercover and waiting for someone to fess up for having one fitted

I come back from weekend of long work to be bust by this man! Yes you are right I do decade long undercover job with trucker who save some money on Adblue :laughing:

Seems to me there may not actually be a law against fitting and using adblue emulator / delete devices, or if there is I cannot find reference to it.
There are all sorts of emissions laws for the truck manufacturers to comply with but seems to be much less if any for the truck driver other than the MOT.

All I can find from research is information about "issue of repute " for O licence
To me it seems that this may or may not be against the terms of the O licence but does not actually seem to be against any actual law but is rather down to the interpretation of the DVSA

Have I missed a big chunk of legislation or is this a case of yet another quango twisting things around to suit their wishes without being an actual law ?

Given that they’re only illegal on a public road, I would suggest that companies who use stuff like yard shunters or lorries that stay airside would benefit from using them.

How do you make it illegal to sell a variable resistor?
What should be illegal is to charge 30 quid to sell a 50 pence part.

Bking:
How do you make it illegal to sell a variable resistor?
What should be illegal is to charge 30 quid to sell a 50 pence part.

Its the same as the piggy back type ‘remaps’ . A piggy back is tricking the ecu by modifying the input data to deliver more fuel to the engine for hp increases but again is merely a very cheap resistor in a little plastic box with a couple of wires on each end. Probably costs £1/1eur to produce but sell for many times more than that…its the way business works…

TiredAndEmotional:

muckles:
It is not illegal to sell and fit them as there are legitimate reasons to have them fitted.

What reasons?

if you have a vehicle that won’t be used on the highway (or LEZ) - I can’t think of many though!, some forestry machines, even trucks leading round timber out of forestry, may be some agric tractors (most do see some road use)

Interesting piece on the ‘one show’ a few weeks back, measuring pollution levels between a 07 plate waggon then a 17 plate. NOx was 14x higher behind the older truck - since we all follow waggons at some point we are just poisoning each other by deleting adblue, removing DPFs and reMapping.

They are very popular with the farming community, i didnt even realise tractors used adblue until the other month

chaversdad:
They are very popular with the farming community, i didnt even realise tractors used adblue until the other month

Pretty much every new ish diesel motor has ad-blue fitted.

The cause of no end of issues with the new plant.

Operators caught with defeat devices

Dav1d:
Operators caught with defeat devices

Typical authoritarian brainwashing headline…‘caught deliberately damaging air quality’. As if that was their goal to damage the ozone layer :unamused: No…its to save buying 00’s of litres of adblu every month.
They also list DPF/EGR delete and not in the exact word ‘remaps’. Both the former restrict engine power and deleting/modifying can in a lot of cases (including remaps) improve fuel consumption. As ever, just another cash cow for govts…

The ‘Adblue’ or DEF system as it is known here is a rip off and just creates more revenue for the greedy. This system may stop particulates entering the atmosphere but when regenerating all the saved particulates are then expelled in one go, thus making the entire system pointless.

Well, I’m gonna fess up, and admit to having had an emulator fitted to my previous vehicle.
This was not because I had any objection whatsoever to having to buy and use adblue,(it was costing around twelve pounds a week) but because of the endless problems I experienced with the dosing and analytical systems on the truck itself. Some of the problems could not be accurately diagnosed. This resulted in a great deal of downtime, and also, potentially, a perfectly good low mileage truck becoming worthless. I know for a fact that this was the primary driver which made many operators take the same course of action.
It is absolutely disingenuous of the DVSA to word their puff piece in the way that they have, but like so many others whose work is of limited value, they never let the facts get in the way of what seems a good news story.
Don’t get me started on EGR!!

Pat Hasler:
The ‘Adblue’ or DEF system as it is known here is a rip off and just creates more revenue for the greedy. This system may stop particulates entering the atmosphere but when regenerating all the saved particulates are then expelled in one go, thus making the entire system pointless.

You are confusing the SCR function (which is to convert toxic NOx into nitrogen, CO2 and water), with the PM filter which is there to catch particles.

The indications from London and Brighton are that where busy bus routes have been converted to Euro VI buses only, there is a marked decline in local levels of NOx. The technology works, but I agree with you about PM filters, which remain a problem on vehicles that are used on urban work.

Old John:
Well, I’m gonna fess up, and admit to having had an emulator fitted to my previous vehicle.
This was not because I had any objection whatsoever to having to buy and use adblue,(it was costing around twelve pounds a week) but because of the endless problems I experienced with the dosing and analytical systems on the truck itself. Some of the problems could not be accurately diagnosed. This resulted in a great deal of downtime, and also, potentially, a perfectly good low mileage truck becoming worthless. I know for a fact that this was the primary driver which made many operators take the same course of action.
It is absolutely disingenuous of the DVSA to word their puff piece in the way that they have, but like so many others whose work is of limited value, they never let the facts get in the way of what seems a good news story.
Don’t get me started on EGR!!

The DVSA have told me that the motive for fitting these devices is almost always as you said. It’s to reduce repair costs and downtime, rather than running costs.

As you have found out, EGR-only technology was even worse. The general feeling is that at Euro VI, most of the SRC reliability issues have been sorted. Not only has the technology improved, operators are no longer doing so many daft things, like using dirty oil jugs to top up with AdBlue…or pre-mixing the AdBlue with diesel, because they used to put oil in with the petrol on their old Villiers-engined lawnmower (I didn’t make that last one up, honest).