Why I hate rules

biggriffin:
Really. Just get the job done, defect it,get it fixed when you get back.

Would you vor it if it happened up the road, no you would carry on,and defect it.

And IF you did get stopped,which I very much doubt, it’s defected, so your covered, no bunnies or small kittens will get hurt,

That’s fine, and they say ‘‘Look at biggriffin what a hero, he’s just cracked on and got the job done’’…
On the other hand, if you had got pulled and done, and a black mark on their O licence, it would be …
‘‘Wtf is biggriffin playing at, he’s supposed to be a professional’’.
Do you get my point?

We both know that it’s ■■■■ trivial a bit of black tape would have sorted it for a day (apart from the hi viz hard hat wearing ‘‘Conor type’’ super agency guys that is. :smiley: ) but THEY make the rules, don’t give em an opportunity to use them against you. :bulb:

Btw I come from the generation where we used to chain axles up and blank off brake chambers (ask Conor he seems to know every ■■■■ thing about me :smiley: ) but today I would be defecting that lens and not giving them any ammunition.
As I said play them at their own game rules.

Horses for courses I think. Living not that far from the Channel Ports, most of the companies I worked for did at least some dock traction between other work. We always carried a box of spare bulbs, lenses, air connectors, palm couplings, winding handle, bolts etc that could equally be of use if you were taking a fridge up the road the following day. Under those circumstances it was unthinkable not to solve the problems and crack on. Likewise, on long-haul work you simply used your initiative and got the job done because you had to. But I don’t think this is what the OP is talking about: there are some jobs I’ve done (Gist for example) where that would not be possible because they are basically running a tight bus services for lorries, so to speak. These employers do not want, let alone expect you to get your hands dirty and yes, they fully expect you to play the rules by the book. If you prefer the more hands-on version of lorry driving I’m sure there are still jobs out there where you can get the duct-tape and spanners out. Robert

lens is also cracked…and a pop rivet is missing on the trailer board ( what used to be a long vehicle board…for those that can remember them ) :smiley: …bit of tape on the lens…jobs a good un…but as rob says…let company rules prevail…sit and wait…and its that time thats off your working day… hope you put your tacho on the correct mode…as your still working. :smiley:

robroy:
Just playing THEIR game by THEIR rules mate I would say, so they have no grounds to complain, despite the ridiculous situation.
As I’ve said before, companies reap what they sow.
Some good firms that have been good with me in the past, I would maybe have ran with that covering the escaping white light, thus getting their load there on time,… this firm now, I would do as you have…sit and wait.
(Always assuming I was on hourly rate that is and not salary :bulb: )

^^^this^^^

Treat me like an idiot and I’ll do everything I can to prove you right, which doesn’t actually require much input from me [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I fail to see the problem ? Just refuse to take it anywhere until it is roadworthy.

This is why I like my place because if you can fix it you just do it yourself. There is no hours of waiting for a minor repair, just crack on and sort it.

In stark contrast to my old place where we weren’t even allowed to top up with coolant or engine oil…

toonsy:
This is why I like my place because if you can fix it you just do it yourself. There is no hours of waiting for a minor repair, just crack on and sort it.

Not another ■■■■ cowboy. :unamused::wink:
What, with me… and now you, this forum’s starting to look like Dodge City. :laughing:

A lot of firms don’t allow the drivers to do anything, had it been a stobarts or whatever then thats a fitters job. The lot I’m starting with, the drivers are asked to do whatever is required (within reason) to get the vehicle moving again.Yesterday I was taught how to change a wheel, shown how to seal off a broken brake chamber and/or airbag. The trucks carry a spare airline, the trailers have 3 tyres onboard. One steer, one drive and one trailer tyre. Each tour goes out with a big chest with spare parts in. Fan belts, lines, brake chambers, airbags etc. It was a bit of an eye opener. I’m used to changing bulbs and whatnot but never have I had to change a wheel before.

robroy:

toonsy:

Not another [zb] cowboy. :unamused::wink:
What, with me… and now you, this forum’s starting to look like Dodge City. :laughing:

I know. Shocking isn’t it :laughing:

Well after 3 hours waiting and no new lens, it left me just enough time to get my delivery done (old school habit of getting the job done) while showing the office they need to improve their management skills.

I need to get out of the habit of cowboy actions but it looks like I’m in good company.

Cor blimey it’s wonder some of you guys even get out of the yard. Just take the bulb out on that side and you’re good to go :smiley: . On those clusters there’s 2 bulbs for the tail lights anyway if I recall correctly.

On a serious note, my “action” on when I’d inform the t/o would depend whether it was the start of a paid hourly shift on a Sunday or a fixed rate job on a Friday :smiley: . If the latter than the t/o wouldn’t be getting informed of any problems until I was back in the yard, tacho card out and gear in the boot of my car :smiley: .

PG9 …MOT fail so you wait till it’s repaired…It is you who gets it in the neck at the end of the day ,No company will stand by you ,they will throw you to the wolves to save themselves

Bit melodramatic.
No firm i’ve ever worked for has wanted to throw me to the wolves.
Cover the run
Go home.
Want me to stand in front of the headmaster?
Yeah right

Conor:
It disgusts me when I see drivers making comments complaining when a company tries to do things properly as they should be done. There’s some real cowboys driving wagons on here and yeah robroy, you’re one of them. You’re not a professional driver or anywhere close with that attitude, you’re just another cowboy. I’d hate to have to drive the motor you use fulltime. No doubt when I got in it I’d find a list of faults a mile long that you’ve continued to drive with because in your mind as long as the wheels go round it doesn’t matter a toss, crack on drive. Wouldn’t surprise me if half the lights were out, bald or nearly bald tyres, knackered steering, loud knocking every time you went over the slightest bump…

Well if I even need professional advice on how to handle night trunks hauling kitchen units over the A66, you’ll be my first call Conor.

I will though give you top marks for having the balls to come back on here ranting and raving mere months after announcing in an insult-laden, derogatory comment heavy post that you were leaving truck driving because you were sick of having no life and dealing with “idiot drivers”, then coming back on every two days to boast of your superior working conditions and oh-so-wonderful new job only to then reveal/let slip that you were back behind the wheel driving lorries again.

Rob K:
On a serious note, my “action” on when I’d inform the t/o would depend whether it was the start of a paid hourly shift on a Sunday or a fixed rate job on a Friday :smiley: . If the latter than the t/o wouldn’t be getting informed of any problems until I was back in the yard, tacho card out and gear in the boot of my car :smiley: .

And a note saying “bloody kids as I was nearly at the yard boss. They were chucking stones so they were. One of them must have cracked it” left on the gaffers desk! :laughing:

The-Snowman:

Rob K:

And a note saying “bloody kids as I was nearly at the yard boss. They were chucking stones so they were. One of them must have cracked it” left on the gaffers desk! :laughing:

Yep, that’s the one! :smiley:

Snowman:
Well if I even need professional advice on how to handle night trunks hauling kitchen units over the A66, you’ll be my first call Conor.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Radar19:
A lot of firms don’t allow the drivers to do anything, had it been a stobarts or whatever then thats a fitters job. The lot I’m starting with, the drivers are asked to do whatever is required (within reason) to get the vehicle moving again.Yesterday I was taught how to change a wheel, shown how to seal off a broken brake chamber and/or airbag. The trucks carry a spare airline, the trailers have 3 tyres onboard. One steer, one drive and one trailer tyre. Each tour goes out with a big chest with spare parts in. Fan belts, lines, brake chambers, airbags etc. It was a bit of an eye opener. I’m used to changing bulbs and whatnot but never have I had to change a wheel before.

not now it’s not stobart policy ( or not my depot ) , I’m issued with bulbs , fuses , lenses + even ■■■■■■■ gaffa tape and if I can mend it I do , I think even they realised eventually how much there policy of calling out a fitter to change a bulb was costing in lst time , common sense prevailed I’d guess

I recently had another driver going on about the need to only strap the back 2 palls of a load , zb vosa and anyone else , that all he did and me putting on 10 straps was zb stupid :exclamation: :exclamation: , now a few days later I pulled into the strapping area with him in front of me , about to shut his curtains on the fully strapped up load :wink: :unamused: , so after getting questioned about this sudden change of thought on strapping up on his part , I deduced like I do to a lot on this thread , Don’t do as I do , do as I say :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

The-Snowman:

Conor:
It disgusts me when I see drivers making comments complaining when a company tries to do things properly as they should be done. There’s some real cowboys driving wagons on here and yeah robroy, you’re one of them. You’re not a professional driver or anywhere close with that attitude, you’re just another cowboy. I’d hate to have to drive the motor you use fulltime. No doubt when I got in it I’d find a list of faults a mile long that you’ve continued to drive with because in your mind as long as the wheels go round it doesn’t matter a toss, crack on drive. Wouldn’t surprise me if half the lights were out, bald or nearly bald tyres, knackered steering, loud knocking every time you went over the slightest bump…

I will though give you top marks for having the balls to come back on here ranting and raving mere months after announcing in an insult-laden, derogatory comment heavy post that you were leaving truck driving because you were sick of having no life and dealing with “idiot drivers”, then coming back on every two days to boast of your superior working conditions and oh-so-wonderful new job only to then reveal/let slip that you were back behind the wheel driving lorries again.

Don’t forget the bit a couple of years ago when he flounced away into the ether, set never to return, his feelings hurt by the impolite references to the average agency driver’s capabilities. There’s no need for anyone to get angry with Conor. He’s comedy gold.

Steady boys. He’ll be foaming at his keyboard when he wakes up for another night trunk for his agencies client…