Vehicle defect

Hi All,
Hoping for some advice, I drive the same vehicle every night with no problems until one night I started my shift, got in the vehicle turned on the ignition and a warning message appears on the screen “Trailer brake lights”, weird considering I am not yet hooked up to my trailer. Done my other vehicle checks of the unit with no issues. I then have to go about quarter mile up road to collect my trailer which I do. hook up my trailer and no brake lights, tried a different electric suzie still no lights. Had to then defect that unit and get another, no problem all worked well. The next night I come into work and my unit (the one with the “trailer brake light” issue) is on my paperwork to use for the night, thinking it has been repaired. There is no reason to think otherwise, had no phone calls or messages to say different. Get in the vehicle and no messages appearing so off I go to get my trailer from the other site. When I get to the office window the chap tells me that the vehicle I am driving has been VOR so the fitter can get a new computer module or something similar replaced. I have just driven on a public highway with a VOR vehicle and he then tells me I should have phoned in when I got up to see if it had been repaired and it was not his job to be ringing me of any change of vehicle. The problem is we do not have any office staff on nights where we collect the units from so we are not to know any different, we go by what our paperwork says. Should the vehicle that was VOR have a notice or something to say it was VOR? The keys were left in the same place we normally leave them and there was nothing on my paperwork to say it was off road and not to be used.

There should be some sort of defect system in place as this is the law. A red VOR tag attached to the keys might help or a sticker in the windscreen, anything that will let the driver know the vehicle in unfit for use.

You having to telephone the company is their way of trying to worm out of responsibility but at the end of the day it is up to your employer to keep you informed.

Are you sure it hadn’t actually been fixed and the fitter not informed? You said that no warning came on the second night you used it.
If it wasn’t fixed then the workshop shouldn’t have released it back to the transport office to use.
Just sounds like poor communication between various folks at your place.

You wanna get a copy book at least in the truck.

Date . Reg . Mileage. Time. Defect. Drivers name.
Then Mr Fix-its name. and only if Mr-Fix it has signed it stating done do you move it simples.

It’s surprising that in this day and age some companies, even some large companies, still have no system in place to stop VOR’d vehicles or trailers being taken out.

As has been said all it takes is a notice of some description hanging off the keyring.

Sorry should have added that the fitter did inform the office that the vehicle was VOR, but the office did not inform me. The reason the warning lights did not appear the second time is because the fitter had disconnected the electronic box that controls all trailer lights, but I did not know this until I arrived at the trailer collection point.

tidge65:
Sorry should have added that the fitter did inform the office that the vehicle was VOR, but the office did not inform me. The reason the warning lights did not appear the second time is because the fitter had disconnected the electronic box that controls all trailer lights, but I did not know this until I arrived at the trailer collection point.

jEZZZZZZZZZZZZ that’s good of em… who would have taken the can if the fitter had disconnected something that would have come adrift whilst doing 55 down the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You need to tell em to get some sort of practice NOW :unamused:

The situation has gotten slightly worse, I have now been suspended for refusing to take another vehicle even though the office boy could not guarantee the next vehicle he gave me was not defected as well as he no access to the other transport office. Also because I went home they are having me for walking off the job, and because I mentioned that VOSA would be very interested in the actions of the company that night they are saying I threatened to bring the company into disrepute. This should get interesting!!

Firstly, start making a log including every conversation you have, who with and what was said. Make a note of the dates/times and if you can get pictures of the defects also.
Are you in a union? If so get them involved. Assuming you’re employed full time (instead of casual agency) you must have a contract. Look up what clause they have used to suspend you.
Are the vehicles you’ve refused to drive getting put into the workshops to be rectified? If so, then the company are actually admitting you are right and that they are defects.

I would like a bit more advice if possible.
I have been asked to attend an investigative meeting which they say is an informal meeting and as such I am not allowed to have any representation at this point, is this correct or am I allowed to have a witness in the meeting with me?
Also my normal working hours are 10pm - 6am and they want me to attend a meeting at 09:30 in the morning, can they make me attend a meeting outside of my normal working hours even though I am suspended from my normal duties?

tidge65:
I would like a bit more advice if possible.
I have been asked to attend an investigative meeting which they say is an informal meeting and as such I am not allowed to have any representation at this point, is this correct or am I allowed to have a witness in the meeting with me?
Also my normal working hours are 10pm - 6am and they want me to attend a meeting at 09:30 in the morning, can they make me attend a meeting outside of my normal working hours even though I am suspended from my normal duties?

Are you in the union ? If so so seek their advice but i would say don’t go in without either representation or another reliable witness. I would also say it probably is ok to go in during the day even though you work nights as like you stated you are suspended.

You can have representation at any formal or informal disciplinary meeting with your employer. Bring a friend, put him in a suit and tell them he is an employment lawyer.

I’d insist on having a witness with you if it were me in your position. Any discussion you have (considering you are already suspended) cannot now be informal. They have already started a disciplinary procedure by suspending you. They can’t suddenly change to informal now.

As for changing your hours, I’m not sure where you stand in this.

Your biggest problem is not the defects but the fact you walked out. The argument they will put forward is that another vehicle may have turned up that you could have used if you had not walked off the job. Saying that, it should just be treated as an unauthorised absence (which they might have a policy for and a set course of action to take) it might be worth thinking of what your defence to this argument will be.
You could argue you felt ill. I wouldn’t say you felt stressed as they may say you’re not up to the job. As long as you didn’t walk off the job telling them to poke it and you don’t have any current disciplinary, it would be hard for them to sack you on this alone.

edited

If it’s something pending and they don’t know then you should delete or edit your post above ASAP as there’s nothing to stop them looking here themselves. There’s enough written for them to identify you.
Do you think they are trying to get you out because of what happened previously?

It does seem as though there is a witch hunt. The union rep and another so called colleague were out socially this weekend just gone with the supervisor who had left, which they have never done in the 5 years he was working here. It does look like they are trying to get him back and I am in their way.

Does your company have another depot with an impartial union rep? Does your depot have another rep you can use?
Most unions have free legal advice (normally 30 minute phone call) you should call them and get proper advice.
If you feel your rep is not representing your best interests or may be biased then contact your area office.

I think given how ■■■■ the transport industry has got, they need to overhaul the system in many ways. They’d do well to consider adopting the same procedure existing on aircraft, where you have a “tech log” for each aircraft (LGV). Obviously the aircraft ones are leviathans of documents, but the basics suit road transport well. Its a folder in a metal, fire proof case. It has everything in it and is a legal document without which on board the aircraft (LGV?) cannot move.

Inside you’ll find details which would suit the current ■■■■ LGV world quite well; you have maintainable history, any outstanding maintenance work to be done. Damage history sheets. If a defect is entered it is grounded (off the road) until signed by an engineer. When “tech’d” you hand in the tech log to maintainance. Without the tech log on board you’re stuffed as it’s a controlled legal document. The same could be used in trucks. The defect gets written up in the tech log, you hand it to maintence and its beyond use until cleared by a signature and engineer’s licence number. Unlike the terrible current LGV system of just a half arsed paper sheet that has no visible rectification history and no visible grounding/VOR impact or feedback system to the driver.

tidge65:

So if I have this right, the office knew it was VOR, yet they still assigned this unit to you as it was on your paperwork to take it. Or if it became known after they assigned it, they didn’t engage brain and say “Oh, have we got that one going out today/tonight? Hmmm, better do something about that”
Sounds like processes need tightening up a lot.

M1cks is spot on if possible I would record any conversation applicable and get copies of your work detail for that night (your phone camera is an easy way) if they tell you you should have rang in then remind them that this would have interrupted your daily rest and if you really believe this to be a witch hunt then start keeping records of every thing as, if today’s not the day to get you, tomorrow will be for sure.