Why do employers just assume you have a sat nav?

ORC:
I’m hardly ever told where I’m going when they book me. I just turn up at the allotted time and they tell me what I’m doing and where I’m going. The rest tends to be my problem, and I choose my own solutions. My driver’s bag is full of solutions they don’t ask me about…cleaning cloths, cable ties, basic tools… i have spare pens, torch and batteries, phone charger and my sat nav.

Has an agency ever asked you if you have a map? Would you expect them to? Havent so far which is why I asked my question. Wanted to see what the ‘norm’ was?

Your method of navigation is your own choice, and is not the responsibility of the agency or client. A client can ban satnavs if they are unenlightened, but the driver must have a means of navigation and they’ll assume you do.

wouldnt work anywhere if my sat nav was banned

iomex:
Maps only get you so far, until you have to deliver to “Windswept Cottage Farm” 5 miles from the nearest B road and no help from the office. Even if you don’t have a satnav (which I don’t), you’ve probably got a phone with gmaps on it.

Tbh I always make sure gmaps will work (full battery, downloaded maps) at the start of each day. Satellite view and street view show things an A to Z won’t.

Exactly this, google maps with street view is far better than a map in my opinion and used in conjunction with a decent sat nav you’ll be unlikely to go wrong.

wrighty1:

iomex:
Maps only get you so far, until you have to deliver to “Windswept Cottage Farm” 5 miles from the nearest B road and no help from the office. Even if you don’t have a satnav (which I don’t), you’ve probably got a phone with gmaps on it.

Tbh I always make sure gmaps will work (full battery, downloaded maps) at the start of each day. Satellite view and street view show things an A to Z won’t.

Exactly this, google maps with street view is far better than a map in my opinion and used in conjunction with a decent sat nav you’ll be unlikely to go wrong.

Very handy street view and birds eye for looking for loading areas as most times picture has been taken when a truck has been there