Where to subcontract

Some on here WILL tell you things and give advice. And here is mine.

I have been an owner driver since 1982, I have had in the past 10 trucks but now am an owner driver.

Apparently there is a driver shortage but companies continue to pay minimum wage and demand 15 hour days, as an owner driver you should be better off, but no, not so, it is worked out by the big boys how much you require to run a vehicle and trailer etc and the rate gives you just enough to take a wage. However when something goes wrong like a breakdown the cost comes out of your wages.

To work for 2200 is not how it is, a job needs to be priced on mileage + costs, i.e for me £1.75 per mile or £45 per hour 8 hours minimum. If you get it good luck if you cant forget it put your £30,000 set up costs into a high interest account stack shelves at tesco where they have toilets somewhere to eat and you can sleep in a proper bed at night. Also at Tesco if you wish to work overtime an over zealous government official will not fine you £200 and put you out of work.

In short mate forget it haulage is one ■■■■ industry with no current benefits or future.

Ronancaz:

I have been an owner driver since 1982, I have had in the past 10 trucks but now am an owner driver.

Apparently there is a driver shortage but companies continue to pay minimum wage and demand 15 hour days, as an owner driver you should be better off, but no, not so, it is worked out by the big boys how much you require to run a vehicle and trailer etc and the rate gives you just enough to take a wage. However when something goes wrong like a breakdown the cost comes out of your wages.

To work for 2200 is not how it is, a job needs to be priced on mileage + costs, i.e for me £1.75 per mile or £45 per hour 8 hours minimum. If you get it good luck if you cant forget it put your £30,000 set up costs into a high interest account stack shelves at tesco where they have toilets somewhere to eat and you can sleep in a proper bed at night. Also at Tesco if you wish to work overtime an over zealous government official will not fine you £200 and put you out of work.

In short mate forget it haulage is one [zb] industry with no current benefits or future.

A man on this forum, who tells the truth. Can we have more of this type, come forward, please.

I hate all these thicko’s on TruckNet, that like to big up what they do for a living; drive a big truck for minimum wage and be public enemy no: 1.

V40LLY:

A man on this forum, who tells the truth. Can we have more of this type, come forward, please.

I hate all these thicko’s on TruckNet, that like to big up what they do for a living; drive a big truck for minimum wage and be public enemy no: 1.

I appreciate your input even if I consider it to be based more on ignorance and jealousy than experience or knowledge. Meanwhile, I’ll carry on doing what I’m doing, and if I ever decide that something else would be a more advantageous option, then I will do that instead.

Once again, thank you, and if you fancy taking a week’s holiday sometime over the Summer, fingers crossed for you that your employer will agree to the dates you wanted. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ronancaz:

In short mate forget it haulage is one [zb] industry with no current benefits or future.

Your quite right whilst ever you sub for as you say big boys at their rates and view your self as an owner driver then that’s all you will ever be ,now here’s where we differ I view my self as owner operator I sub out a lot more work than I do my self I also do storage too I don’t have any thing to do with ‘big boys’ only direct work with 40 odd plus customers .but each to their own .ooh and also I have wages and profit too ,sorry not the same thing for me .

Ronancaz:

Just because you feel somewhat bitter and twisted, don’t tar everyone with the same brush. There is a future in Haulage, as everyone needs goods moved from A to B and further. There are some crappy jobs on crappy money, some really interesting jobs on crappy money, some crappy jobs on good money and finally some really interesting jobs on good money. As a driver or owner driver, you will have to play the field until you find what suits for whatever reason, your own requirements.

And at present interest rates, £30000 on deposit aint going to return you a lot :unamused:

V40LLY:

A man on this forum, with a big chip on his shoulder. Can we less of this type, come forward, please. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

If you have nothing positive too say about Haulage/trucking/slavery, or whatever you appear to believe this industry should be called, then why do you bother to come on here.

You are the kind off driver that spends all his life wishing he were doing anything else other than driving, only he is to thick to work out where the door is, so is destined to despise every day off his working life. What a sad sad way to spend a life :unamused:

Eddie i.m too ■■■■■■ to thpe but thakn you :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Dan Punchard:

Ronancaz:

Your quite right whilst ever you sub for as you say big boys at their rates and view your self as an owner driver then that’s all you will ever be ,now here’s where we differ I view my self as owner operator I sub out a lot more work than I do my self I also do storage too I don’t have any thing to do with ‘big boys’ only direct work with 40 odd plus customers .but each to their own .ooh and also I have wages and profit too ,sorry not the same thing for me .

I would be interested to know, as a one man self employed operator employing no staff, how you would define ‘wages’ and ‘profit’

As far as I am concerned as a one man band profit is the difference between revenue and costs,and I do know how to calculate the full operating costs for my business.

If you then have a need to compartmentalise part of that profit into ‘wages’ and ‘profit’ then that is up to you.

I do not feel the need to do that, I suppose I could call what I take out of the business for personal use as ‘wages’, my business is not complicated and I can easily keep track of what is going on financially without the need to differentiate between the two.

eddie snax:

Ronancaz:
And at present interest rates, £30000 on deposit aint going to return you a lot :unamused:

Correct ~“on deposit”
BUT:

Invested correctly (IMHO not on O/D subby trucking) you can get a very nice tax free return over the next 5/10yrs by sitting on your ARSE :exclamation: :exclamation:
This year I’ve bought a new 2015 caravan and changed the 09 Peugeot4007 to a 13 Kia Sorrento KX2 and will pay off the £64k mortgage next month ALL by investing wisely in tax effcient Investment Trusts under the ISA wrapper and cashing in the “PROFITS” :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Have a good read here:
hl.co.uk/

They have £40billion (That’s BILLION not million :exclamation: :exclamation: ) invested with them as “Discount Investment Brokers” and their financial expertise is called on by Daily Telegraph/The Times papers etc.
Make money the easy way :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

Big Truck:

eddie snax:

Ronancaz:

Correct ~“on deposit”
BUT:

Invested correctly (IMHO not on O/D subby trucking) you can get a very nice tax free return over the next 5/10yrs by sitting on your ARSE :exclamation: :exclamation:
This year I’ve bought a new 2015 caravan and changed the 09 Peugeot4007 to a 13 Kia Sorrento KX2 and will pay off the £64k mortgage next month ALL by investing wisely in tax effcient Investment Trusts under the ISA wrapper and cashing in the “PROFITS” :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Have a good read here:
hl.co.uk/

They have £40billion (That’s BILLION not million :exclamation: :exclamation: ) invested with them as “Discount Investment Brokers” and their financial expertise is called on by Daily Telegraph/The Times papers etc.
Make money the easy way :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

You are talking investments, not savings/deposit, 2 completely different horses, and well done by the way :wink:

But I was responding to

Ronancaz:
put your £30,000 set up costs into a high interest account .

That sounds like deposit, not investment. Though if I had £30000 available, it would go into a 2nd house as a buy to let :wink:

eddie snax:
That sounds like deposit, not investment. Though if I had £30000 available, it would go into a 2nd house as a buy to let :wink:

[/quote]
We’re hijacking the thread somewhat, sorry to OP. :blush:

“Buy to let” an option with £30k but not for me at all:

All eggs are in same basket as in property alone.
Dodgy tenants can be a nightmare.
Need to tell HMRC about “additional income” from the rent.
Not “tax efficient” as most likely a large capital gains tax bill to pay when selling but with ISA not one brown penny to the dreaded tax man. :wink:
Can “get at” your money within a week with ISA(maybe less :sunglasses: ) and take it out “on the drip”, buy to let may take literally MONTHS to sort and all or nothing :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:

What does the OP expect? That you can just pop a post onto a forum and lucrative business is just going to come his way?

What successful o/driver is going to post commercially sensitive information on a public forum? Would you just pop into any local shop and ask them for the details of their business because you are opening up a similar business around the corner? This is a very competitive business to be in, so if you want to be a success you had better come into it with your eyes open. Knowing your market and all your costs beforehand is essential. The basic essentials of any business.

Big Truck:

eddie snax:

We’re hijacking the thread somewhat, sorry to OP. :blush:

“Buy to let” an option with £30k but not for me at all:

All eggs are in same basket as in property alone.
Dodgy tenants can be a nightmare.
Need to tell HMRC about “additional income” from the rent.
Not “tax efficient” as most likely a large capital gains tax bill to pay when selling but with ISA not one brown penny to the dreaded tax man. :wink:
Can “get at” your money within a week with ISA(maybe less :sunglasses: ) and take it out “on the drip”, buy to let may take literally MONTHS to sort and all or nothing :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:

[/quote]
Yes I understand there would be pit falls. But there is that with most things in life. It was purely a hypothetical statement, more saying that there are many ways to invest £30000 if you had it(not ■■■■■■■) to use, other than start up capital or savings or financial investments. I would look at something like property, just because I feel that I wouldn’t be totally out of My depth. Anyway We have a few more years on the main home Mortgage, but I’ll still have quite a few years of work left in Me so that’s what I’ve thought about :wink:

As you said strayed a bit from the OP :wink:

Dan Punchard:

Ronancaz:

+1 :grimacing:

Is it possible to get back to the main topic? Barking at each other wont benefit anyone, trucks just won’t stop if somebody feels he’s not paid enough. It is THE MARKET.

I’ve worked hard and managed to go on my own, I see how to save money and go on in this business, maybe will buy second truck after couple years, but need to work a lot to do it instead of waisting time for complaints. Those who don’t see future in haulage - please do not interupt.

So gentlemen, your opinion please - which subcontracting companies have best offers, reliability, planning, mileage? Which of them needs ADR or liquid?

Easy guide to making a Million in transport start with 2 million :wink: actually being an OD or small fleet owner you can make a decent living or profit with the right drivers and the right attitude to hard work :slight_smile:

edwardj:
Easy guide to making a Million in transport start with 2 million :wink: actually being an OD or small fleet owner you can make a decent living or profit with the right drivers and the right attitude to hard work :slight_smile:

• 1… :wink:

edwardj:

+2 :slight_smile:

Since is that bad and not profitable than why you guys do it.Every business has expenses big or small unless you are a genius.Cmon guys nobody is going to steal the work.After all everybody had some advice when they start.
Lets cut to the chase and answer the question or not.PATHETIC

Way to go fella. Bound to get some proper answers now!