UK to Morocco

New shipping route opening from UK to Morocco will take 3 days

Mazzer2:

Not the same outfit that started running a freighter from the UK to La Rochelle years ago?
Can’t remember where it shipped from, could’ve been Hull or Immingham, don’t think it was from the south coast ports.
Didn’t last long if memory serves me right.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Mazzer2:

Not the same outfit that started running a freighter from the UK to La Rochelle years ago?
Can’t remember where it shipped from, could’ve been Hull or Immingham, don’t think it was from the south coast ports.
Didn’t last long if memory serves me right.

It is being run by United Seaways and sailing from Poole to Tangiers on a weekly basis

There used to be a ferry from Poole to somewhere in Portugal back in the 80s.All I recall is that apparently it used to roll around a bit judging by the many shades of green on the faces of drivers as they disembarked.

The freighter from Poole to Portugal went to Porto which was the dock of Leca de Palmeiria next to Matosinhos , but I think it went to unaccompanied trailers only and no drivers and there was a roll on , roll off service to Vigo in Northern Spain which is not far from Porto.
At some time , drivers did accompany their vehicles on the above services.

A lot of John Mann drivers met and married local girls in Morocco as the rent for flats was cheap and the cost of living , Tony Bradfield had an apartment there and a local lass .So in theory you could have a wife in every port , one in England and a few in Morocco.

There was a boat called Thomas Wehr that used to go from Poole to Vianna do Castello in Portugal, North of Oporto in the mid Eighties.
It carried mainly unaccompanied trailers, British International and Aquila amongst others plus a few drivers. I shipped that way on the Inaugural Crossing and we received a Fireworks reception upon arrival then everyone disappeared except the one Customs Man who I “taught” what to do with the ECMT Book ! :laughing: :wink:
Me and a few others used to tip and load our own unaccompanied trailers for a month at a time then load and come home for a bit then go again.
Happy days.
GS
Photo Credit to Axel Huttemann

GS OVERLAND:
There was a boat called Thomas Wehr that used to go from Poole to Vianna do Castello in Portugal, North of Oporto in the mid Eighties.
It carried mainly unaccompanied trailers, British International and Aquila amongst others plus a few drivers. I shipped that way on the Inaugural Crossing and we received a Fireworks reception upon arrival then everyone disappeared except the one Customs Man who I “taught” what to do with the ECMT Book ! :laughing: :wink:
Me and a few others used to tip and load our own unaccompanied trailers for a month at a time then load and come home for a bit then go again.
Happy days.
GS

Guessing that was entertaining going across the Bay of Biscay in the winter :grimacing:

Yes it certainly was !!! :open_mouth:

GS OVERLAND:
Happy days.
GS

Thomas Wehr and Gabriel Wehr were often chartered by P&O as replacements for the Hull Zeebrugge service while their own ships were being renovated, stretched or broken down.

Before venturing into Morocco, John Mann did shoes from Portugal using the direct ferry route

Wheel Nut:

GS OVERLAND:
Happy days.
GS

Thomas Wehr and Gabriel Wehr were often chartered by P&O as replacements for the Hull Zeebrugge service while their own ships were being renovated, stretched or broken down.

Before venturing into Morocco, John Mann did shoes from Portugal using the direct ferry route

The Gabriella Wehr was a freight boat* on P&O Le Havre service in the 80s and 90s between Pompey and Le Havre.
First 12 trucks had the drivers stay on board, the rest had to “wait in the terminal” or the Rudmore Cellars, or the Ship and Castle, or somewhere else until they could board the next boat as footies. Taxi from Chantals "Ferry Boat" or Pierres “Leopard” after coffee to collect trucks in morning.

Several boats have had that name it seems.
The one I traveled on was rear door only, German sea crew, Filipino cabin crew. All trucks reversed on, mirrors folded in, the Bosun would give very exact turns of his hand to direct the driver to turn steering wheel. Brilliant. So long as you trusted him, all was quick and well.

The above post reminds me of early Truckline days from Poole to Cherbourg when I think mv Dorset only had berths for 12 drivers.The remainder were flown from Bournemouth airport to meet the ferry in France.The pilot was a bit “eccentric.”

Gidders:
The above post reminds me of early Truckline days from Poole to Cherbourg when I think mv Dorset only had berths for 12 drivers.The remainder were flown from Bournemouth airport to meet the ferry in France.The pilot was a bit “eccentric.”

Before my time, but I have heard a few stories of those flights. :smiley:

Biggles ! " Do you want to see your trucks ? " …then he would dive the plane down over the ferry ! :open_mouth: :laughing:

He certainly did.When he said look he meant a close look!

I have been to Morocco 8 times for events in Marrakesh. Didn’t go last year so my info is not totally up to date.
You need agents. These do not come cheap. We have paid various prices but they all return the same level of service.

Arrive in Algericas and park up at the Isla Verde area. You will need an agent to help with your carnet and they will book your ferry ticket once this is completed. No customs, no ferry ticket! We used Partida Aduanas in Algeciras. Ferries don’t have a strict timetable but I recommend the 0600 departure. You must visit the Police on the ferry and they will stamp your passport to say you are clear to enter Morocco and the port. You normally get a meal ticket for use on the ferry.

Once you disembark in the Tangier Med Port, you will need the help of another agent. We used Meyer and Meyer. Agents aren’t allowed in the ferry area so you have to park up on arrival, catch a shuttle bus up to the customs area, meet your agent, wait for customs processing, return back to your truck when your agent says so, wait until you are called by your agent and then you can drive up to the x-ray scanner. The port is relatively new but it is an absolute mess. Abandoned vehicles, trailers, poor signage. As you make your way to the scanner area, you are directed to a parking area. You wait here until your agent arranges a scanner pass and then you proceed towards the scanner. Then join a disorganized queue and make the slow journey to the scanner. And it is slow. Arrive at scanner, get x-rayed, and when it’s all completed, park close to the scanner… and wait some more. You will be relying on your agent to ensure customs is cleared and then you will be issued with exit paperwork and you are free to leave the port. This whole process will take most of the day so allow a short drive after the port to get to a petrol station and wait till morning. Plenty of petrol stations, very cheap fuel but not European standard service areas.

Services have been safe enough for us. Tolls on the “motorways” were payable in local currency only so you must get this when you are waiting in the port. Use your agent. Tolls to Marrakesh cost approx £45 one way. Road signs are in English on the motorways. Locals run on highbeam at night so prepare to be dazzled. Slow down at the tolls as cops are present and keen to get “tea” money for speed infringements.

Returning to Tangiers Med, you head into the pre port parking area and await your agent who will help again with your paperwork and entry to the port. More waiting around will happen and finally you will later arrive back at the carnage that is the scanner area. Same procedures as before. Your agent needs to take you to the Police so you can get your passport stamped. Do not forget to do this.As and when you are finally free to go down to the ferry area, ensure your agent has given you ALL the relevant paperwork and permissions. Your agent cannot go the ferry area so you are on your own. You have to pass several barcode checks and also customs police and make sure they do not keep hold of your paperwork as that will be the last you see of it. When you go to drive on the ferry, there are more police and you will be asked for it. Any discrepancies, you will have to return to the start. :angry:
I have fallen victim to this one.

You will have been in the port again for most of the day.
Try to memorize your drive to the scanner when you first arrive as the signage in the port is sketchy and it will help you on the return trip.
Your agent should have told you, or phoned you, to say which ferry company you are with and your approx sailing. There are a couple of different companies running the ferries. Park somewhere you can see the boats. It is very disorganized. Don’t just sit in your cab when a boat is loading, go and check to see if it is yours. They will not come and find you.

Hopefully you will soon be on your way back to Spain. Once you arrive in Spain, a quick passport check and then you have to park up in the Isla Verde area. You need to phone your agent and they will come and collect your paperwork for customs(the agents in Spain have mopeds) and fingers crossed, its all stamped and cleared and returned to you. On a good day, you can be heading out of Algeciras in a few hours…but factor in a wait.

Good luck.

Thanks ’ darkmark ’

That’s the kind of useful post i like to see . Shame there aren’t more like it.

Well written darkmark thats exactly how it is , I have done that trip a few times and just to add to it when leaving Tangier s port check and double check you are getting on the right boat as they all line up in a row and every driver will say yes when you ask him are you in the Q for the right boat
The only good thing in recent years you can get decent food and alcohol drinks in the port terminal which is situated just as you come off the boat in the middle of the dock area
When heading for the scanner bring plenty of snacks or food as its a long wait , I got stuck up their one night and no way back to the restaurant , if my memory serves me right when waiting at the exit barriers for final paperwork to the right of the barriers hidden away is a little Cafe which is handy for coffee sandwiches also the guys their can get you a Moroccan Sim card for your phone
I never had any issues with police driving through the country and found everyone very friendly

Used to run down to spain in the ninetys meet up with some of the John Mann drivers at Sunbilla truckstop.
one in particular was Christian he did Morocco regularly.
Just wonder if he is still about.

Was Christian a French man who could just pull the ladies without even trying, maybe had kids somewhere, he was tall , if it’s the same guy, he did a bit of Portuguese round trips ?