Cherbourg to Morocco

I will be travelling from cherbourg to morocco by car in a couple of months. Never been down south before. Can anyone give advice with what route to take, toll costs for car, what method best to pay tolls by, rough journey time. I drive at about 90km/h in my car. Thanks for any help.

Never driven to Morocco, we used to do it for Manno but I always flatly refused to go. I’ve hired a car while there on holiday and the roads are OK. Mostly built by the French I remember.

ViaMichelin has this to say as far as Algeciras, where the ferry goes from.

Departure 50100 Cherbourg
Destination Algeciras
Stopovers
Date: 07/01/2007
Vehicle type: Automobile, Hatchback

Route type: Recommended by MichelinQuickestShortestEconomical
Time and distance
Time: 19h39 including 18h35 on motorways
Distance: 2065km including 1992km on motorways
Costs

• Toll costs: 52.75 EUR
  • Petrol costs: 187.52 EUR
  • Road tax cost: 0.00 EUR
    Total costs: 240.27 EUR

and suggests Bordeaux, Irun, Madrid etc.

I do Rennes area to Malaga by car twice a year ,and did it back last year in a “one hit” and it took 20 hours. A good site to try is www.mappy.com it tells you the best route and all the tolls.

hi mate , when i do southern spain i go . bordeaux , irun , vitoria , burgos , madrid , jaen , granada , malaga , algeciras .
from cherbourg to algeciras is 1278 miles .

Thanks for replies.
I have about 3 days to get to gibralter, sounds like a handy enough run down.

Any auld “clubs” on my way down ? :wink: :wink:

just keep heading south and you start picking up arabic signs at granada.
follow signs to ferry, past containers and look for big terminal, get across then get car insurance in the port, be carefull of people being too helpfull they will try to sting you for money. plenty of good hotels on the front out of the port.
and you must go to the marco polo bar for some company to help spend your money.

Yes and there accomadation is nice upstairs, The seamans is nice in casa if you are going that far south :wink: