Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

The Walsall bus Depo at Leamore better known as the Birchills . the area was about one mile square, stretching from Bloxwich rd , bordering the railway line to the north to Talbot Stead steel factory almost to Green lane then South across to Carl street , the shed’s as they where called , gave covered parking for the rolling stock, Body workshops that repaired the D/Decker’s ash frames and rolling jigs making new panels out of steel plate and later Aloy etc , they made and refurbish every part of the body ,The men’s lockers with doors covered ■■■■ post cards that came from Holidays ? I well remember standing and reading with interest !! Unknowing to me they had a bag of sawdust tide up in the rafters !! And when you where in the exact spot they would release the rope . Bloody shock to the system I can tell you Ron

Horace Kendrick there Fodens where a familiar sight round Walsall ,Coal Haulers used to run out of Green lane, 8 legger Fodens had what I call greedy boards on the body tops ,this was for carrying coke ,I don’t think they ever ran light , there livery was maroon ,I think ? Ron

image.jpg

I have been wading my way through this thread with great interest. I worked in Riyadh for 4 years. Not as a driver. I am in construction. I was there from 2011 - 15.

I’ve always been into trucks and transport generally and was trained on my PSV for London Transport in '86 by a guy who used to drive out to - I’m sure he said India in the '60s; definitely Iran - Poland and all these places.

I knew that in the 70’s guys drove to the Middle East but I had no idea they made it as far as Jeddah and stayed! That brings me to something I’m very curious about. When were the last British drivers there and what stopped that? Now there are virtually zero of even the Filipinos. Everyone seems to be Pakistani / Bangla as far as driving is concerned. As you can all imagine of course there are no Saudis behind the wheel!

I worked with a guy called Mohammad Tamimi at the National Water Company in Riyadh. He was a super friendly guy who had been US educated and like so many Saudi guys like him if you spoke to him on the phone you would automatically think you were chatting to an American… He was the son of some type of minor prince and his family’s business was Tamimi Transport. A huge company - the family were of course minted - I am supposing it’s the one some of you fellas are referring to. I remember asking him why there were no Filipino drivers and he told me that they were considered too unreliable compared to the Pakistani and Bangladeshi, so as their visas had expired they were not replaced.

Almost all of Tamimi’s tractors were Mercedes now or MAN. as was the case for almost all firms as far as I could see. I asked about this and he said it was the perception that they were the most reliable now and “what about Scania or whatever?” he said the mechanics were used to Mercedes. Infact I had expected to see tons of American trucks and with the exception of some Peterbilt refuse trucks I think I saw less than 10 although holy of holys one was a Marmon on the hill going back into Riyadh on the 505 from Dirab. Just before the city check point; speaking of which those are all unmanned now except for occasional checks mainly of trucks.

Another thing I have been enjoying is the old pictures, not only of the trucks, of KSA back in the day. It’s such an evolving place and people have so little regard for the past that you rarely see the older Riyadh and Jeddah. Although we all know if you want cred with the locals its Jidda :slight_smile:

Can anyone tell me if the Al Khozama hotel on Olaya was there in your time and where is the flyover junction a few posts back?

Thanks,

Willy

Well Welcome to this thread Willy , it’s good to know that it is of interest , and I hope you will put down your experiences on this blog ,there must be some times that stand out ? Under the Sun that we shared , You mentioned Hotels , I and all of the lads at Trans Arabia never had the chance to live in a Hotel , so I can’t tell you about them ,we drove and slept in the truck or on the trailer when empty and stayed safe as we could with no communication for days across the KSA, the villa in Jeddah was where it started 18months before I jioned the town and every where was stinking hot , you know how it is , Ron

ronhawk:
I also found this photo of my Scimitar coup , there’s a story to tell ? Working at S Jones I became quite good at fibre glass repairs to crashed cabs etc . The Scimitar was made up of the same material as the ERFs .The original car was to tight in the back as the kids where growing up , So I extended the back end to accordingly so the kids had more room ? I cut the roof across in the middle just rear of the door ,and along the sides removing the boot lid, I slid the roof back ? I put the boot lid on the roof to bridge the gap The top overhung the sides As the back tapered in ? Then I removed the rear window and cut the roof in half to get the top to sit along the open boot area now with the roof overlapping the window could not be fitted ? So I recut the rear window so that it could now be fitted all this was fibre glassed and new widows fitted in the sides , I moulded the rear end with 1/2 a brake shoe the finished car was that good , people used to ask me what is your car , ? On the back I had in bold letters RSS 1 I purchased the part worn tyres from Edward Jones Aston Martin volanti and drove this car for years with bags of sand in the back to keep it on the road in icy weather Ron

I like that Ron, that coup you made looks spot on ! Very smart looking motor ! I remember them having
a 1800 or 3 litre from memory,so was the ford V6 the 3 litre or was that another option you could have ■■

Any more pics of it Ron ■■ I wonder if it was saved and is on the show scene bearing in mind you dont
have to worry about rust on the grp body ■■

Sorry DEANB, that’s the only one I can find it was different , those tyres I had of Edward Jones ? I had an OS F blow out on the M6 going a fair lick coming back from ERF show at Sand Bach , Jonny Davies x T/A won the fastest wheel change at the show ,I had the slowest wheel change on the M6 bits of the tyre got wedged between the disc brake , the tyre Disintergrated , I paid 9quid a tyre ? He was like that !! we all had ERF trail blazer T shirts ON , RON

Geoff Lloyd took a temp reading at 12 noon in the TASECO camp for one month near Dammam in the shade , it read 44 44 44 44 he may well have drawn a straight line on his chart , we where just 15klicks down the Abqake rd in the desert , Ron

mj3200:
I have been wading my way through this thread with great interest. I worked in Riyadh for 4 years. Not as a driver. I am in construction. I was there from 2011 - 15.

I’ve always been into trucks and transport generally and was trained on my PSV for London Transport in '86 by a guy who used to drive out to - I’m sure he said India in the '60s; definitely Iran - Poland and all these places.

I knew that in the 70’s guys drove to the Middle East but I had no idea they made it as far as Jeddah and stayed! That brings me to something I’m very curious about. When were the last British drivers there and what stopped that? Now there are virtually zero of even the Filipinos. Everyone seems to be Pakistani / Bangla as far as driving is concerned. As you can all imagine of course there are no Saudis behind the wheel!

I worked with a guy called Mohammad Tamimi at the National Water Company in Riyadh. He was a super friendly guy who had been US educated and like so many Saudi guys like him if you spoke to him on the phone you would automatically think you were chatting to an American… He was the son of some type of minor prince and his family’s business was Tamimi Transport. A huge company - the family were of course minted - I am supposing it’s the one some of you fellas are referring to. I remember asking him why there were no Filipino drivers and he told me that they were considered too unreliable compared to the Pakistani and Bangladeshi, so as their visas had expired they were not replaced.

Almost all of Tamimi’s tractors were Mercedes now or MAN. as was the case for almost all firms as far as I could see. I asked about this and he said it was the perception that they were the most reliable now and “what about Scania or whatever?” he said the mechanics were used to Mercedes. Infact I had expected to see tons of American trucks and with the exception of some Peterbilt refuse trucks I think I saw less than 10 although holy of holys one was a Marmon on the hill going back into Riyadh on the 505 from Dirab. Just before the city check point; speaking of which those are all unmanned now except for occasional checks mainly of trucks.

Another thing I have been enjoying is the old pictures, not only of the trucks, of KSA back in the day. It’s such an evolving place and people have so little regard for the past that you rarely see the older Riyadh and Jeddah. Although we all know if you want cred with the locals its Jidda :slight_smile:

Can anyone tell me if the Al Khozama hotel on Olaya was there in your time and where is the flyover junction a few posts back?

Thanks,

Willy

Welcome Willy. Ron is a fountain of information. I am sure he will be able to answer your questions.
Sounds like you had an interesting time yourself. Look forward to reading them :wink:
Cheers
Johnny

20160827_161455.jpg

ronhawk:
Horace Kendrick there Fodens where a familiar sight round Walsall ,Coal Haulers used to run out of Green lane, 8 legger Fodens had what I call greedy boards on the body tops ,this was for carrying coke ,I don’t think they ever ran light , there livery was maroon ,I think ? Ron

Couple of photo,s I took in Jones yard. I was with my Dad ( He was driving for BET Tankers ) and he had to call into there yard, I had a new camera and a couple of crazy filters

mj3200:

Thanks,

Willy

Willy - hello

I will try and answer some of your questions.

I set up Trans Arabia in 1976 and ran it until Jan1982.
Why the move to Pakistani and Bangladesh drivers - simple - cost - they cost much less than Philipino people. Trans Arabia moved from Brits to Philipino purely because of cost - 3 Philo for 1 Brit plus the Brits had holiday every 12 weeks the Philipino 4 weeks after 12 months - so all that adds up. Our/my choice of Philo was there knowledge of English and familiarity of American trucks. Along the way we picked up a Brit/Yemeni from Birmingham - good for Mecca deliveries. We also employed a very good Tanzanian driver who walked through the door so as to speak.
I looked at many nationalities inc Indonesian and Thai drivers but they had no knowledge of American trucks and lack of long distance work and poor language skills.

When I arrived in Jeddah in 1976 there were a fair number of Brits hanging around looking for local work after they had done the overland trip, mostly lining there own pockets - some even sold there trucks and flew home to return with another truck many months later. Some had got involved in accidents and had caused major issues for the British Embassy, hence the cold shoulder we received until some years later when we’re involved with an International school move, they then changed there attitude and were extremely useful when I needed a visa to get an injured Philipino who had had his leg amputated and I want treatment in the UK for him - S Jones stood as garrantor for him!!
Most overland Brits disappeared when the sea freight service improved and the queuing at Jeddah port disappeared- when I arrived in 76 their was a 12 weeks que outside the port - hence some container ships being offloaded onto barges with they own ships cranes!!!

The prevalence of Mercedes trucks (The Bonneted Version) went back many many years in most of the Middle East as Mercedes Germany had supplied thousand of Merc Tipper truck, ridgids and articS - most American trucks were on the oil fields with the American companies.

S Jones misjudged the equipment we required - easy with hindsight - they hadn’t taken into account the weights that were being pulled - we should have had 6 x 4 units not 4 x 2. The Macks we bought should have had ■■■■■■■ engines as did the Kenworths did have when purchased - again that decision was made on cost - the Kenworths was £10,000 cheaper than the ERF, purely down to exchange rate!!
In 76 there were no weight regulations for the roads!! Today they have regulation and the gross weights have been much reduced

Hope this answers some of your questions

Regards

Ken b

Kenb:

mj3200:

Thanks,

Willy

Willy - hello

I will try and answer some of your questions.

I set up Trans Arabia in 1976 and ran it until Jan1982.
Why the move to Pakistani and Bangladesh drivers - simple - cost - they cost much less than Philipino people. Trans Arabia moved from Brits to Philipino purely because of cost - 3 Philo for 1 Brit. Our/my choice of Philo was there knowledge of English and familiarity of American trucks. Along the way we picked up a Brit/Yemeni from Birmingham - good for Mecca deliveries. We also employed a very good Tanzanian driver who walked through the door as to speak.
I looked at many nationalities inc Indonesian and Thai drivers but they had no knowledge of American trucks and put type of long distance work and poor language skills.

When I arrived in Jeddah in 1976 there were a fair number of Brits hanging around looking for local work after they had done the overland trip, mostly lining there own pockets - some even sold there trucks and flew home to return with another truck many months later. Some had got involved in accidents and had caused major issues for the British Embassy, hence the cold shoulder we received until some years later when we’re involved with an International school move, they then changed there attitude and were extremely useful when I needed a visa to get an injured Philipino who had had his leg amputated and I want treatment in the UK for him - S Jones stood as garrantor for him!!
Most overland Brits disappeared when the sea freight service improved and the queuing at Jeddah port disappeared- when I arrived in 76 their was a 12 weeks que outside the port - hence some container ships being offloaded onto barges with they own ships cranes!!!

The prevalence of Mercedes trucks (The Bonneted Version) went back many many years in most of the Middle East as Mercedes Germany had supplied thousand of Merc Tipper truck, ridgids and articS - most American trucks were on the oil fields with the American companies.

S Jones misjudged the equipment we required - easy with hindsight - they hadn’t taken into account the weights that were being pulled - we should have had 6 x 4 units not 6 x 2. The Macks we bought should have had ■■■■■■■ engines as did the Kenworths did have when purchased - again that decision was made on cost - the Kenworths was £10,000 cheaper than the ERF, purely down to exchange rate!!
In 76 there were no weight regulations for the roads!! Today they have regulation and the gross weights have been much reduced

Hope this answers some of your questions

Regards

Ken b

A fascinating insight for me, an outsider who never did the Middle East.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That bloke makes me smile ,( S Jones misjudged the Trucks what’s that all about ? ) This was about our lads dipping there toes into red hot sand , with the best ERFs that they could afford to start up this now legendary Trans Arabia trucking , no wander some of our lads did a bit of Moonlighting with the Manager frightened to come out of his Air / Conditioned office it was the Brits that found out just how much was in the containers at Jeddah docks when the ■■■■■■■ took the Strain dragging the loads up Tief mountain , it was our lads that found the weight on the dolly Road train had ruptured the air tanks , it was our lads that took the risk on a single track coast to coast with road trains having the Police smash the head lights because of the Danger they caused to crazy Tonker drivers trying to overtake ? For days under that blistering hot sun ,It was the Brits that found out how to survive in this heat with red hot brakes skilfully negotiating the mountains the steep gradients with Tonkers trying to push you over the edge , IT WAS THE MANAGER THAT BLAMED OUR LADS FOR THE MAC TRUCKS ENGINE WHEN HE THOUGHT HE COULD PUT RIDICULOUS 85 Ton LOADS ON THERE BACKS ? ( Well after all they where BRAND NEW 6x4s ) It was the Manager that claimed he came down Tief with a Road Train of 95tons , this is a blatant Lie , He certainly looked after. No 1, it was 1977 - When I went out as a driver for 2 1/2 years , and together with all the lads ,made the best of what we had , I can only praise our lads and the ERF Ngc who where the back bone of TRANS ARABIA , Ron

ronhawk:
That bloke makes me smile ,( S Jones misjudged the Trucks what’s that all about ? ) This was about our lads dipping there toes into red hot sand , with the best ERFs that they could afford to start up this now legendary Trans Arabia trucking , no wander some of our lads did a bit of Moonlighting with the Manager frightened to come out of his Air / Conditioned office it was the Brits that found out just how much was in the containers at Jeddah docks when the ■■■■■■■ took the Strain dragging the loads up Tief mountain , it was our lads that found the weight on the dolly Road train had ruptured the air tanks , it was our lads that took the risk on a single track coast to coast with road trains having the Police smash the head lights because of the Danger they caused to crazy Tonker drivers trying to overtake ? It was the Brits that found out how to survive in this heat with red hot brakes skilfully negotiating the mountains the steep gradients with Tonkers trying to push you over the edge , IT WAS THE MANAGER THAT BLAMED OUR LADS FOR THE MAC TRUCKS ENGINE WHEN HE THOUGHT HE COULD PUT RIDICULOUS 85 Ton LOADS ON THERE BACKS ? ( Well after all they where BRAND NEW 6x4s ) It was the Manager that claimed he came down Tief with a Road Train of 95tons , this is a blatant Lie , He certainly looked after. No 1, it was 1977 - When I went out as a driver for 2 1/2 years , and together with all the lads ,made the best of what we had , I can only praise our lads and the ERF Ngc who where the back bone of TRANS ARABIA , Ron

Mr Hawkins
Even after all these years you have such a large chip on your shoulder - bigger then a fried of potatoes.

Ron - you were employed as a mechanic not a driver - you did little driving out of Jeddah more for Martin out of Damman depot as there were less vehicles etc to look after.

I remember being begged by Aldridge to take you on due to the IR problem you had created in garage resulting in the men refusing to work with you!! I can see why.

Your comments above are for the bin as you really are talking gibberish and to agree with the drivers stealing money from their employer couple with your previous admittance of stealing cigars from Binzagr containers say it all - your are a bad one even at your tender age.

Interestingly you appear to have fallen out with most of your employers over the years - wonder what it is about you personality!!!

For gods sake go and enjoy the rest of your days so you can go to the grave in peace.

Bon voyage

Ken b

kb ,You can make up lies about me , but they will never stick , The truth will last forever , I came out as a driver in 77 and was immediately put to work as a driver , The reason was because of the drivers you had sacked through lack of supervision , The work was full on for a couple of months , all this time the Mac engines that you had destroyed where waiting to to rebuilt , this is and was my reason for going out in the first case , I had a proved track recored on all things Mechanical as you well appreciated ■■ Working alongside John Davies !! You know this man well ■■ That was awful what you did to him !!! :imp: After the Macs Where finished We started fitting the Jake Brakes to the ERFs, and I reported to you !! If you remember the the testing of this brilliant engine brake down Tief giving you my opinion of the best settings !! I/E no 2 or 4. Settings , On the decent of the mounting road with a road train with one empty container on the rear trailer taking note of the air used on the 18 brake chambers , Perhaps this is where you had the Dream of that 95 ton road train ■■? That would have been some wreck I bet ? :open_mouth: Any how back to the driving taking out units to crawl back with bunt out clutches 1/2 sized engines etc etc back to repair in the street , I was over due my well earnt leave my my Passport had been stolen in Jeddah so I did not get a break for 6months , I did not cry about it as there was always hard work to do The brake downs through over loading just went on and on as usually , including days and days and days away down south and up north with red hot trucks out of brakes etc , well I just loved it so thanks for that kb , OH I did burn open that safe in Damman full of cash , you know you sacked that bloke for something ? His name was George :grimacing: I think , the Stories just go on and on . Ron

Recovering 114 on this mountain rd was very difficult , owing to the fact it died on the steep incline when the Suzze lines fired up with the flames giving Tony no chance to park up .( Not as there was anywhere to go ) !!! he bailed out at 5000 ft and piled rocks behind the trailer , knowing that the whole outfit of 85 tons could runaway back down the mountain to Jeddah ,TT you did good !!! there where no brakes holding this ridiculous load , when I checked it over I found the (spring brakes) on the Mac had melted , the rear tyres had melted to the rd this in some way gave us some help !! The mountain rd was busy , red hot sun on a two way incline , the traffic just kept on overtaking us blowing there air horns , shouting INFIDEL INFIDEL and Fff off in Arabic taking the Mickey out of two white burned blokes ,who had blocked the rd, for some 200 ft ,making sure we had to take every precaution ■■ we must have been the talk of KSA , pulling the pin & Parting the Mac from the trailer was like ■■ The scariest part was As we towed out the unit from under the trailer with the ERF !! would the ratchet hand brake and the rocks hold this load , !!! It did move a little but held, the trailer hit the legs like a lead balloon and the front end dipped with the weight by now it was 3ft off the deck , I went off to find a crane , To load the Mac onto TC empty trailer . The driver of the crane was a mad man !! Idid not think he would stop as I followed him down the first 1,1/2 1000 ft with his jib bouncing up and down , eventually loading the truck onto TC trailer we took it to the top of Tief , Now for the Trailer with Clicker Jacks and scaffolding poles we mauled and mauled the trailer so TC could hitch up , with no brakes on this load it was fortunate we went up hill , all this because of you know who , what a waste of another Mac and trailer and bloody hard work for nothing in the Hot Hot sun of Saudi , Tony Cope was a great help , ,That idiot said he should have left TONY TOMKINS in Jail ■■ Ron

How do you like your chicken ? With Scouse !! It’s a bit over done this time , sleeping under the stars with the lizards you Carn’t beat this life .Tony parked the loaded trailer top of Tief and I repaired all the air pipes and couplings he travelled on with the twisted trailer the next day , brakes working ok this trailer I think went back to the UK eventually to be straightened. I returned to Jeddah with the Sacrificed Mac , offered to the mountain God thinking this will give us better luck in the future ,
:laughing: :laughing: :cry: :cry: :blush: Ron

Guday Guday Backsplice , hope you are still upright down under !! Here is a photo of a picture that was long lost ? that I think I took !! My son Mark took some photos of mine to S Jones and gave them to his mate named Martin !! alias Plod ,he got in touch with Jona , and back to me after all this time ! It may be you that would be some coincidence ■■? , we probably share some Shi together , Ron

Nice one Ron …sorry that was,nt me though …but would have been a British driver looking at the add on extra mirrors …them were the days !!! remember the first time I drove one of that type of Mack was unloading the SARAMAT Ferry I took it of the boat and down to the customs compound it was red too… could have been for TA ■■? at first I could,t find the handbrake ■■ the long nose was a bit different after only driving European forward control trucks …seemed to have a lot of guts though !! … I can hardly believe that there has,nt been any more ex SARAMAT lads on this site !!! surely I,m not the last man standing !!!

After posting this I went through my files and found this pic The driver checking out of the terminal is Ian Pender (ThePig) a Glaswegian and a great workmate Anyway have a look at the mirrors !!!

Copy of img342.jpg

Hey Ronnie …in the last pic have a look behind the cab …see the shower head I was telling you about was powered from the air tanks via another air tank filled with water using an air line … stand in a basin wash down the shower it off not bad in the middle of the KSA desert

cheers