Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

Another Ron Hawkins tale:
Entitled: Big is beautiful ( sometimes!)
Between working for Trans Arabia and moving to Taseco TMS I did two years as ■■■■■■■ engineer and workshop supervisor for GCC in Dammam.
On this occasion, I was asked to sort out a gearbox problem with the Allison semi auto transmission on a brand new KW. ( See pictures below.)
Because of the huge size of this machine, I decided to get up very early and drive down the Abquaiq road and then into the desert. What an experience to drive something so enormous. I felt like James Cagney just before he got shot- " I am on top of the world!“.
After testing the truck I began driving back to Dammam but couldn’t understand why there were loads of trucks parked up on the side of the road. As I trundled on, I kept passing loads of police who were all waving at me. Thinking they were just impressed by the gargantuan vehicle I thought-“Yes, eat your hearts out you peasants” and just kept on going, enjoying the attention.
Looking in my mirrors, I then realised I was being followed by what looked like a police ■■■■■■. Just before Dammam, all the other traffic was pulled over as I sailed on, with the police seemingly trying to get passed me but unable to do so.
At last, the GCC depot came into view and I pulled up at the lowered barrier. In moments I was surrounded by half a dozen police cars. The police leapt out and began jumping up and down and shouting up at me words to the effect “Sadik is my best friend!!” “bucara Inshallah!!” and other such friendly comments. Or so I imagined!!! At first I thought they were friendly comments! Then it got a little scary. It transpired they were, to say the least, totally unimpressed by my magnificent vehicle and in actual fact wanted to lock me up for ignoring what transpired to be a temporary truck ban!
Ho hum! You live and learn…” Ever so sorry officer. I promise I wont do it again"…grovel…grovel!

Another post from Ronaldo 'Awkins.
before I went to Saudi I was working as just a foreman mechanic after serving my apprenticeship at Walsall Bus Corp. on Gardner engines in the early 1950’s under the gaze of top man Herbert Wolf. This was the place to learn all skills mechanical and I did well.
Moving jobs I started work at the THree Crowns Garage. They had at that time a 1943 Diamond T tank transporter called Clay! It was a big attraction and I drove it to recovery jobs on many an occasion, some fatal. ( Never drink and drive!)
Then I moved on to Jones Aldridge as night foreman working with a wide variety of men, the good, the bad and the downright ugly. One young man named John Davies was keen to learn and we got on well. I could see his potential and we became good friends.
I went on to receive the Gold Spanner award at ■■■■■■■ Engine Company at Darlington and later, when Jones opened a joint venture in Saudi Arabia in the late 70’s, I went out on their behalf, fitting Jake brakes to the ■■■■■■■ engines and to completely rebuild two Mack truck engines that had been over run when carrying very heavy loads up in the mountains.
We built both trucks up in a tin work shop. It was so hot we could only work for 15 minutes at a time…
See picture. John Davies was a good lad, as we all were. Trans Arabia. Great times sometimes in awful conditions.
PS. I loved it!
PPS. The bloke standing next to me isn’t John Davies with a sun tan!

Another posting by Ron Hawkins.
Entitled: Tough times in Jeddah and how K.B. nearly got K.o’d!

I feel I should clarify the awful state of Jeddah in the late 70’s although things did begin to improve at the beginning of the 80’s.
It was really iffee, and wiffee with dead animals and guts just left in the streets decomposing after residents had been doing a bit of home butchery and meal time preparation!. At night time a truck would come round belching out smoke to kill the flies.
Our accommodation ( the villa!) was absolutely crawling with cockroaches just about everywhere. One day, Gipsy Dave, a driver, lifted a bog manhole cover and discovered thousands of cockroaches, virtually shoulder to shoulder. Using his initiative and skills picked up from watching too many American war movies,he decided to burn them out. Getting some petrol, he poured it down the drain then chucked in a bit of flaming paper. There was a muffled boom followed instantly by some loud shouting and swearing! It transpired that our boss, K.B. had been positioned on the spread axle loo at a very inopportune moment! The proverbial really did hit the fan!!
There were many times when me and J.D. would come in , blacked up with axle grease to find all the hot water had been run off but on an uplifting note, every morning, the pupils from the girls school turned out to buy from the from the old woman who sold sticky sweets from her trolley. This pleased the flies and made us happy as well!!
See picture below of the morning street scene, taken through the windscreen of a Mack truck.

Good story Ron. I remember being told about that at the time. I didn’t laugh!.. Honest!!
Just to test out the tale, to check if it was made up or not, I later tried out the same trick at Dammam depot. Fed up with having to go on a killing spree every night before going to bed, and beginning to feel I was slowly being poisoned by " Piff Paff" fumes, I went to the side of our villa and lifted the man hole. Sure enough…millions of them. They definitely don’t like being blown up. The petrol fumes spread through the drains and really did them in. And yes, to those who are wondering, it does blow a fountain up and out of the straddlers. Didn’t quite make the ceiling though!
Regarding the dead animal thing, the bloke next door used to throw goat guts over his back wall, as did everybody else. The government tried to put a stop to this dangerous practice by opening up an all singing, all dancing, free abattoir in Dammam, staffed of course, not by Saudis’ but by Egyptians.
I went down with our cook to see how it operated.
You first buy your goat, sheep, camel etc from the market, you stuff it in your boot, chuck it on your back seat or tie it down in the back of your pickup. Then off you go to the abattoir. On arrival, you are given a ticket number then you go to the viewing gallery where you can watch your animal being ritually slaughtered, parcelled up in portions and then handed straight back to you. Very efficient.

img064.jpg

Ron, have just come across this photo taken at Dammam villa. You of course on the left in your shorts and socks! Me in my poncy white clogs. (They got me some stick they did! ) I think it’s Ginger McNeil, an owner driver standing in the background and of course the world famous Cope. The only man to have Velcro hands. Hiding in the background is that Philippino with long hair. Can’t remember his name. There were times I wondered a bit about him. He used to slide off down to the Sealand camp on his day off and come crawling back the next day looking warn out and smelling of perfume.
Why are we all sitting legs akimbo? Was it the heat or had Ginger brought round a bluey?

Great yarns and it seems that the good times outweigh the bad ones which we all experienced at one time or another…met a few Trans Arabia lads and had a game of darts against them a couple of times in Jeddah (I,m sure it was TA ) you,ll all be thinking here comes another SARAMAT Hijack !!! far from it… keep the yarns coming we are all disappearing ■■? here is a pic of what we had to contend with outside our yard in Jeddah and one of the workshops courtesy of Ian (The Pig ) Pender

Wirlinmerlin:
Another post from Ronaldo 'Awkins.
before I went to Saudi I was working as just a foreman mechanic after serving my apprenticeship at Walsall Bus Corp. on Gardner engines in the early 1950’s under the gaze of top man Herbert Wolf. This was the place to learn all skills mechanical and I did well.
Moving jobs I started work at the THree Crowns Garage. They had at that time a 1943 Diamond T tank transporter called Clay! It was a big attraction and I drove it to recovery jobs on many an occasion, some fatal. ( Never drink and drive!)
Then I moved on to Jones Aldridge as night foreman working with a wide variety of men, the good, the bad and the downright ugly. One young man named John Davies was keen to learn and we got on well. I could see his potential and we became good friends.
I went on to receive the Gold Spanner award at ■■■■■■■ Engine Company at Darlington and later, when Jones opened a joint venture in Saudi Arabia in the late 70’s, I went out on their behalf, fitting Jake brakes to the ■■■■■■■ engines and to completely rebuild two Mack truck engines that had been over run when carrying very heavy loads up in the mountains.
We built both trucks up in a tin work shop. It was so hot we could only work for 15 minutes at a time…
See picture. John Davies was a good lad, as we all were. Trans Arabia. Great times sometimes in awful conditions.
PS. I loved it!
PPS. The bloke standing next to me isn’t John Davies with a sun tan!

Ken Broster commented- The workshop was the local Mack truck agents - they were fitting complete new engines to the vehicles where the engines had overrun due to a copy of the Jake Brake that did not really workin the same way - I had to shame them into fitting new engines that took months!! The Young Indian man stood next to Ron was a good engineer and I tried to recruit him on a number of occasions without success .

Wirlinmerlin:
Another posting by Ron Hawkins.
Entitled: Tough times in Jeddah and how K.B. nearly got K.o’d!

I feel I should clarify the awful state of Jeddah in the late 70’s although things did begin to improve at the beginning of the 80’s.
It was really iffee, and wiffee with dead animals and guts just left in the streets decomposing after residents had been doing a bit of home butchery and meal time preparation!. At night time a truck would come round belching out smoke to kill the flies.
Our accommodation ( the villa!) was absolutely crawling with cockroaches just about everywhere. One day, Gipsy Dave, a driver, lifted a bog manhole cover and discovered thousands of cockroaches, virtually shoulder to shoulder. Using his initiative and skills picked up from watching too many American war movies,he decided to burn them out. Getting some petrol, he poured it down the drain then chucked in a bit of flaming paper. There was a muffled boom followed instantly by some loud shouting and swearing! It transpired that our boss, K.B. had been positioned on the spread axle loo at a very inopportune moment! The proverbial really did hit the fan!!
There were many times when me and J.D. would come in , blacked up with axle grease to find all the hot water had been run off but on an uplifting note, every morning, the pupils from the girls school turned out to buy from the from the old woman who sold sticky sweets from her trolley. This pleased the flies and made us happy as well!!
See picture below of the morning street scene, taken through the windscreen of a Mack truck.

Ken Broster comments
I remember the incident well - the person on the loo was Charlie Fussell I was in the office - it was Bill Smith who was pouring petrol into each manhole then he ignited the manhole by the back gate - all the lid blew into air and the water in the bottom toilet kissed the rear end of Charlie including the loo came off the ground - good memories - some very sad times but outweighed by the good - you couldn’t write some of the things that happened

Good picture out of the Mack window - reading the news yesterday about the young Saudi lad being sentenced to 10years jail and 1000 lashes - they gave him 50 on Friday in public outside a central mosque - that reminded me of the early says when some lads went down town on a Friday lunchtime and got dragged into watching a beheading - they did not go again - very surprise some of our drivers did not loose hands and get lashes for some of the stupid things they got up to!!!

Wirlinmerlin:
Another Ron Hawkins tale.
Entitled- How to make a happy man even happier!
At Trans Arabia we had a driver called Eric Bowers. He was a little short in the stature department and had great difficulties when it can to rauling the spare wheel on his Mack. He asked me if I could come up with a solution. I was in my element with this type of problem. The picture below shows my handiwork. I fabricated a carrier on the front of his truck.
Not only was E.B. then a very happy chappy, but our boss K.B. was so impressed he asked me if I could do something similar for him on the front of his Blazer the results of which can be seen in the background.

Ken B comments
Love this - are you sure this was not for Gysy Dave and yes I was impressed
Keep them coming

robert1952:

Wirlinmerlin:
Another Ron Hawkins tale.
Entitled- Nelson drops one on the way to King Solomon’s mine.

This truck had been “all shuck up” like Elvis, running on a graded road for 60 klicks off the tarmac to this mine. Yes, it was a Mack. Driven by a good chap called Nelson, a Phillipino. he had said that he had had to stop because " the engine has dropped down!"
Robbing some parts from the burnt out Mack ( see previous story) I tooled up and got to Nelson at a place near to Nazran and right enough, the bloody engine had dropped!. Good job I had some tackle. Using a sky hook I wound the engine backwards with talk and jacks and replaced the off side rear engine mounting. All of this was done in the middle of no where. After doing repairs to the fuel lines etc etc we started it up and it ran fine. I followed him for a mile or two to ensure he was ok. This was hard job well done. It took me two days to get back to our yard where I tried blowing my own trumpet but it was too full of bloody sand!!

Another world, entirely! Keep 'em coming Merlin. Robert :smiley:

Ken b comments
The start of this story was when Nelson Dadag walked into Jeddah office - no truck - broken down boss on way into the mine at Almasame 111 km off road near Yemen boarder/Nagran - how the hell have you got here was the question? Got a lift to the main road off a bedu and another lift to Khamis airport and bought a ticket to Jeddah plus taxi - you have to admire the intelligence of the block - he was 6ft gold chains all over over him but a very experienced driver working in the Gulf and Vietnan for the Americans - good skills by Ron fixed the job.

THe spare wheel in front of trucks was also often used in Israel.

Wirlinmerlin:
I recently heard that the famous Ron Hawkins who worked for Jones of Aldridge as a fitter and who subsequently did a few years for them and Trans Arabia in Saudi ( later with Taseco TMS) has in his retiring years, finally taken on the challenge of the internet. I wish him good luck and all the best. A man never to be forgotten. A man who ruined my best white, bri nylon shirt. A man who never failed to eat my yogurts when my back was turned. A man who would disappear for days into the desert on a job but who would always reappear…job done. Welcome Ronaldo.
( I attach here, a photo and very short story he recently sent me. The picture and humour within the few lines illustrates the man to a tee! Give us some more Ron.)

Ken B. Comment
Great picture - john Parry only went out of Jeddah once!! With the LL to Riyhad - got a puncture and laid in his bed unill someone turned up to change it - 4 days later - he was terrified of being out of Jeddah - we never sent him again

Wirlinmerlin:
“We’re in the sh.t! …Send for 'Awkins!..Again!”
The story of flaming Mazola and the case of the missing Chicken!

Ken b comment

Flaming Mazola/Mack
Interesting story - went down to Binzagr main office in the Souk - Faisal Binzagr called me into his office - been meaning to call you!! Have had the police on from Taif - they have a drive in custody his truck had an electrical fire last night on the mountain climb!!! Driver - tall guy from West Midlands
Back to th office - Jogn D get your things together we are are to Taif Mack with electrical problem!!! Quick lunch and off we went - for those that have been its a long drag up to the lower check point - we then climbed the mountain - nothing - nearing the top we came around a corner and there she was - an electrical fire - bloody hell - major fire - the cab was a complete burn out — the trailer front was bent with heat. I stood at the side looking at the truck and said to JD there’s someting missing here . Yes the sleeper pod has total burnt out and gone.
In reality what had happened - the Mack truck had a vertical exhaust, plus the plastic sleeper pod sat on a piece of thick plywood - the exhaust must have got so hot that it ignited the timber base and went up in minutes. The trailer was loaded with 2 containers of marble - I reckon 55tons plus - we were doing this for Salmine Binmafoze the Binzager port fixer as a favour for his mate - I had argued about the weight - he said 20tons each - I put them over a weigh bridge at BRC Alfadel!!!
So where’s the driver - up to the police in Taif - no sign - the jail - no sign - to a police station on the Abha road and there he was sitting on the floor in the doorway ad cool as a cucumber - all they wanted was a signature to say I did not hold him responsible - should have refused and left him there.
Yes Ron a difficult recovery on the mountain side. But I had the best guys in town
Thanks

A short tale of scullduggery by Ron Hawkins.

I attach below, a photo of three black country lads who worked for Trans Arabia.
On the left. Jimmy Wells. Usually to be found wearing gold chains round his neck and sporting a fancy pair of shades. He was a very kind man. It took him some time to realise that he had been lending me his smart clobber when he had been going off on leave!
I enjoyed, on his return, watching him jump up and down, turning the air blue when he saw the state of his once lovely white socks with red and blue rings. They were now sporting an extra ring! Of axle grease!! And his white shirts! Well what can I say!! Taffy Bill was heard to remark, on more than one occasion- " Blimey Ron, I’ve never seen you so smart. Are you on a promise?"
Ginger Taylor on my right was a great kid. He to was smart, always with a smile on his face and ready to help when I needed a hand.
Great lads.

Wirlinmerlin:
A short tale of scullduggery by Ron Hawkins.

I attach below, a photo of three black country lads who worked for Trans Arabia.
On the left. Jimmy Wells. Usually to be found wearing gold chains round his neck and sporting a fancy pair of shades. He was a very kind man. It took him some time to realise that he had been lending me his smart clobber when he had been going off on leave!
I enjoyed, on his return, watching him jump up and down, turning the air blue when he saw the state of his once lovely white socks with red and blue rings. They were now sporting an extra ring! Of axle grease!! And his white shirts! Well what can I say!! Taffy Bill was heard to remark, on more than one occasion- " Blimey Ron, I’ve never seen you so smart. Are you on a promise?"
Ginger Taylor on my right was a great kid. He to was smart, always with a smile on his face and ready to help when I needed a hand.
Great lads.

Ken b. Comment

You and Gypsy Dave borrowing cloths - I think it was Billy Jacksons cloths Gypsy D was into
Ginger Taylor - was he from Manchester?

Great stories - I am sure many more to come

I remember Jimmy Wells. Always with the gold chains, sun tan, Spanish Gigolo moustache and big shades. He was, like a lot of little men, also a bit quick with the slightly aggressive verbals.
Often he would return from a trip and regale us with stories of how he used his truck and trailer size to sort out the mad Tonkers. But, on this occasion, he very nearly came unstuck. He apparently had some kind of altercation with a Tonker driver and indicated to him to pull over to sort it out. The Tonker driver promptly obliged which surprised Jimmy, but when he got down from his cab, expecting the usual shouting and arm waving, the other driver dismounted, clutching a club! Other passing Tonkers, seeing this, also pulled over. Jimmy nearly had a heart attack. He was very lucky to escape unharmed but was still pale and trembling when he landed back at the yard. I suspect he kept himself in check after that.

Kenb:

Wirlinmerlin:
“We’re in the sh.t! …Send for 'Awkins!..Again!”
The story of flaming Mazola and the case of the missing Chicken!

Ken b comment

Flaming Mazola/Mack
Interesting story - went down to Binzagr main office in the Souk - Faisal Binzagr called me into his office - been meaning to call you!! Have had the police on from Taif - they have a drive in custody his truck had an electrical fire last night on the mountain climb!!! Driver - tall guy from West Midlands
Back to th office - Jogn D get your things together we are are to Taif Mack with electrical problem!!! Quick lunch and off we went - for those that have been its a long drag up to the lower check point - we then climbed the mountain - nothing - nearing the top we came around a corner and there she was - an electrical fire - bloody hell - major fire - the cab was a complete burn out — the trailer front was bent with heat. I stood at the side looking at the truck and said to JD there’s someting missing here . Yes the sleeper pod has total burnt out and gone.
In reality what had happened - the Mack truck had a vertical exhaust, plus the plastic sleeper pod sat on a piece of thick plywood - the exhaust must have got so hot that it ignited the timber base and went up in minutes. The trailer was loaded with 2 containers of marble - I reckon 55tons plus - we were doing this for Salmine Binmafoze the Binzager port fixer as a favour for his mate - I had argued about the weight - he said 20tons each - I put them over a weigh bridge at BRC Alfadel!!!
So where’s the driver - up to the police in Taif - no sign - the jail - no sign - to a police station on the Abha road and there he was sitting on the floor in the doorway ad cool as a cucumber - all they wanted was a signature to say I did not hold him responsible - should have refused and left him there.
Yes Ron a difficult recovery on the mountain side. But I had the best guys in town
Thanks

Ken b asks?
Why do we not see anything from the Russell Davies joint venture with Fayez Shipping and there huge very profitable contract with Elliot Building from Peterborough - all done on 60ft trombone trailers. Elliot building systems had a huge contract with the Saudi Goverment to supply modular building for schools in the Riyhad area
They came in on the Seaspeed Ro Ro service from Felistowe - who remembers the Seaspeed Dora turning turtle whilst unloading in Jeddah Quay - ripped the loading ramp clean off - Trans Arabia has new trailers from York a Trailers on board - insurance pay out - they turned up in Greece - the new owner looking for bearings etc

Wirlinmerlin:
I remember Jimmy Wells. Always with the gold chains, sun tan, Spanish Gigolo moustache and big shades. He was, like a lot of little men, also a bit quick with the slightly aggressive verbals.
Often he would return from a trip and regale us with stories of how he used his truck and trailer size to sort out the mad Tonkers. But, on this occasion, he very nearly came unstuck. He apparently had some kind of altercation with a Tonker driver and indicated to him to pull over to sort it out. The Tonker driver promptly obliged which surprised Jimmy, but when he got down from his cab, expecting the usual shouting and arm waving, the other driver dismounted, clutching a club! Other passing Tonkers, seeing this, also pulled over. Jimmy nearly had a heart attack. He was very lucky to escape unharmed but was still pale and trembling when he landed back at the yard. I suspect he kept himself in check after that.

Love it - I guess he was not on his own with that one

backsplice:
Great yarns and it seems that the good times outweigh the bad ones which we all experienced at one time or another…met a few Trans Arabia lads and had a game of darts against them a couple of times in Jeddah (I,m sure it was TA ) you,ll all be thinking here comes another SARAMAT Hijack !!! far from it… keep the yarns coming we are all disappearing ■■? here is a pic of what we had to contend with outside our yard in Jeddah and one of the workshops courtesy of Ian (The Pig ) Pender

Ken b. Comment

Yes your yard was just outside the port and near the seaport Hadj terminal - hell on earth
I remember the Saramat G M or depot manager ( from Yorksire? Herbert? )in his 4 x 4 being all over the front pages of the local paper when he went through flood water by the seaport Hadj terminal roundabout and covered them in muddy water - he spent time in the police jail did he not?

Ken B I think the GM when I was there was Dave Turk who came from Kent I think then again another manager was a bloke called Potter I only experienced rain once in 12 months and I was out near Riyahd … I enjoy reading all the stories it sure was a great adventure we all had keep e’m coming