These later Volvo's

:confused: So, On my way back from a delivery at night, I suddenly find me trailer has no lights on. Hmmmm? methinks, the older Volvo’s have a seperate fuse for the trailer, I’ll stop and replace it, that should do it.
I manage to get the dash apart to get to the fuses and looks at the fuse layout, but cannot find any mention of the trailer fuse, or come to think of it, any sidelight, brake light, indicators or any of the more likely to need replacing fuses. So when I get back I mentions it and am told, that they are buried right in the dash somewhere. :unamused: :angry: :imp:
So whats the game here then Volvo, was this deliberate or just plain stupidity ■■ Don’t you want the driver to change fuses ■■

i drove a '99 volvo vn and the fuses were under the cb mount on the dash. I had the same thing happen to me with my trailer lights. it took a while to find where they were but there is only so many panels that can be removed. if i remember correctly, the screws for the panel can be removed with a coin of somesort.

:confused: Umm yes thanks gorgeous, This was a 54 reg. Is a 99 the earlier model ? sounds like it is. :confused:

'99 as in 1999, the year it was built. it is an american model. the other thing i remember is that the truck had about ten switches for the drivers seat but was the most uncomfortable thing i ever had to drive. is yours like that too? the seat even looked comfy

The last time I was in an FH back there, Volvo Europe didn’t have CB brackets mounted in the center of the dash like the VN’s over here do :exclamation: But … the still had a removable panel on top of the center of the dash :exclamation: So … I would think the 'Very tiny fuses might be in there :exclamation:
Remember the VN is narrower than a Euro Volvo and has a dash panel missing :exclamation:

Ullo Gorgeous :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

they are in the pannel under the drinks holder.does it have a boom on it ?that can cause problems shorting out.
the electrics are very quirky on the series 2 volvo`s,and have caused lots of problems on older trailers,we have had some extra wiring done on ours to cure the problem
jon

There i panel of fuses under the drinks holder 2 scerws and yo are inas jon boy says, theres also another set of 6 fuses as you say buried right underneath there and its quite a task to get to them but they rarely blow and are really only to protect the ECU.

Theres also a small panel in the passenger footwell with some fuses behind it.

The 6 fuses under the main fuse box were an add on after Volvo found the ECU kept being blown and at about £1000 a time they had to put them in as an afterthought.

If you use the computer on the dash it will tell you exactly which fuse is blown :slight_smile::).

jammymutt:
If you use the computer on the dash it will tell you exactly which fuse is blown :slight_smile::).

There’s a funny thing Jammy, the Computer said nothing. :unamused:

There is a way Daf , i was shown by a Volvo mechanic a few weeks ago but without the dash in front of me i cant remember how to do it.

yea that happened to me n uncle in CF DAF …but 1 fuse blew which was the lights but the engine cut out and things started bleeping and flashing lol.turned out that that 1 fuse blew like 6 out lol …

Also after you have undone the screws behind the mug holder to remove the top panel the whole mug holder clips out as well which makes it easier to get at the lower fuses Jammy mentioned.

I had all sorts of problems with a current model FM12 I used to drive. You’d be inidcating round a few sets of roundabouts or whatever and then suddenly they’d stop working. A few minutes on they’d be okay again. Think it’s probably an overheating circuitry thing myself. I loved the original FH and FM models but these new model ones are tat which doesn’t look good on Volvo.

Click Happy:
I had all sorts of problems with a current model FM12 I used to drive. You’d be inidcating round a few sets of roundabouts or whatever and then suddenly they’d stop working. A few minutes on they’d be okay again. Think it’s probably an overheating circuitry thing myself. I loved the original FH and FM models but these new model ones are tat which doesn’t look good on Volvo.

They dont seem to be verry happy when you hook up to a trailer with 3 banks of lights on each side at the rear.

As far as I’m aware the fuse’s are in the same place for the FH and the VN, when I’ve had the trailer lights go out, it has always been the fuse (number F24 and it is a 20amp fuse), it is marked trailer marker lights, you will find the guilty fuse under the the removeable panel on top of the dashboard, which would be the CB mount/tray on a VN or the ‘plain jane’ tray on the FH.

Incidently the dashboard tray on the FH and the dashboard CB mount/tray on the VN are interchangable, even though the VN cab is about 8-9 inches narrower than the FH.

Usually when this fuse blows it will still allow the blinkers to work, somebody else said that their lights often go out on roundabouts, that sounds like the problem is in the pigtail, try checking the pins and splitting/cleaning them.

:confused: :confused: :blush: Hmmm, well as I originally said, Taking the top part of the dash apart was easy enough. As some of you know, when you have the top off, underneath shows the fuse arrangement, but not the important sidelights, trailer etc.
If someone could explain where exactly these are for future reference, that’ll be good. Looks like I’d better get meself some of those micro jobbies then, I thought I had it covered as I carry some normal spade type ones, but obviously not.

Also, apparently, Volvo also don’t recommend anybody try to change some of the front bulbs either, not sure which ones. Volvo, have you gone mad, can’t change bulbs now either. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :angry: :open_mouth:

DAFMAD:
:? :confused: :blush: Hmmm, well as I originally said, Taking the top part of the dash apart was easy enough. As some of you know, when you have the top off, underneath shows the fuse arrangement, but not the important sidelights, trailer etc.
If someone could explain where exactly these are for future reference, that’ll be good. Looks like I’d better get meself some of those micro jobbies then, I thought I had it covered as I carry some normal spade type ones, but obviously not.

Also, apparently, Volvo also don’t recommend anybody try to change some of the front bulbs either, not sure which ones. Volvo, have you gone mad, can’t change bulbs now either. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :angry: :open_mouth:

changing the bulbs is a 2 minute job.unsew the light in the footwell and the light unit goes forward to access the bulbs
the fuses are behind the pannel under the drinks holder .lift the drinks tray out unsrew the top panel and remove.pull off the panel underneath the drinks tray the main fuses are just behind that.
jon

DAFMAD:

That is the HID headlight bulbs if they are fitted, the ‘normal’ headlight bulbs are no problem and it is a two minute job to change them. You need to ensure you have turned the main switch near the batteries to the off position if you are going to attempt to change the HID bulbs because you can get a nasty belt if you touch the wrong wire and this can happen even with the main switch off, bits of you could stand on end that you don’t want standing on end. :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The old bulb also needs to be disposed of properly as the bulb contains mercury and is classed as environmentally hazardous waste.

It’s not just Volvo who recommend you don’t change the bulbs other car and truck manufacturers who fit them say the same.

as i said earlier, i had a volvo vn. the fuses in that thing were bigger than normal, about an inch wide. i thought they were clearly marked, if not, keep pulling fuses until you find the blown one. they make inexpensive fuse pullers which are almost a neccisity. also, the head lights on that thing were very easy to change. it can take less than a minute if you know what is going on. Good luck, sorry to here your truck is being such a pain.

Well, I drive a different one of these every night, and have been doing so for 2 or 3 months now, since they came in brand new.
Its only this last week that I have been experiencing any problems.
Had that trailer fuse go and had a headlight bulb go, also had a ABS ECU fault.
I don’t know why but, several of them have all sorts of bulbs gone already, interior lights and switches etc. This seems a little strange after 2 or 3 months use.
Neil, I’m not sure if the headlights are HID or not, but, aren’t those type supposed to last several times longer than normal types ?
Anyone else find the drivers side wiper seems to judder across the screen, often ?

DAFMAD:
Neil, I’m not sure if the headlights are HID or not, but, aren’t those type supposed to last several times longer than normal types ?

They are indeed supposed to last much longer. You would be able to tell if you had them, they produce a much whiter lighjt than the normal bulbs.

DAFMAD:
Anyone else find the drivers side wiper seems to judder across the screen, often ?

Haven’t had that problem, could be down top some kind of polish that has been used to clean the screen as that can cause the wipers to bounce if it is a product not recommended for use on windscreens.