These later Volvo's

DAFMAD:
:? :confused: :blush: Hmmm, well as I originally said, Taking the top part of the dash apart was easy enough. As some of you know, when you have the top off, underneath shows the fuse arrangement, but not the important sidelights, trailer etc.
If someone could explain where exactly these are for future reference, that’ll be good. Looks like I’d better get meself some of those micro jobbies then, I thought I had it covered as I carry some normal spade type ones, but obviously not.

Also, apparently, Volvo also don’t recommend anybody try to change some of the front bulbs either, not sure which ones. Volvo, have you gone mad, can’t change bulbs now either. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :angry: :open_mouth:

I did!, it is under the top of the Dash, I even told you the fuse number, it should be marked Trailer Marker Lights, These Volvo’s are supposed to be standardised on stuff like this, my fuse’s were made in Germany, the fuse is one of those little jobbies, I 'm sure I read that this type of problem is rectified by the same or similar parts no matter where in the world your Volvo is…but maybe I’m wrong, it has been known…Once!

Had this blowing fuses thing happen to me a few times coupling up trailers. Found that it helps leaving the lights on the unit switched off as I couple up the trailer. Also experienced this thing about lights working, then not working, then working…arghhhhh. Well it seems that some connections are just a bit loose so I plonge one of my extra rubber bands for the number plate around the leads. Might not be after the book, but hey…it works.
Sometimes it will work wonders to phone back to the workshop. You can guarantee the light will be working again as you try to explain what the problem is and you’d have had the pleasure of making a total fool out of your self !

Oh well…

Jo

:smiley: Yeah thanks Cliff, it could be that the US Volvos fuse arrangements are different to the European ones ?
I had the top dash panel off (& the cup holder, easy) the fuse arrangement sticker is underneath the top panel, I don’t remember any reference to the trailer or marker lights.
The office confirmed my findings and said that the fuse concerned is burried deep inside the dash (somewhere). They’ll have to get Volvo out to sort, they said.
Next time I see one of the Volvo fitters I’ll ask, trouble is when I start, they are not usually about.

Got to say, the later 420 engine is great, leaps away has loads of torque.
Brakes are excellent too…powerful and the brake pedal feel is spot on. :smiley:
And of course the driving position and adjustment is even better than it was before. :smiley:

Owens Girl…yeah I now connect up with no lights on, found that best on the later DAF’s too. When the fuse went, it was on the way back, was fine on the way there…wierd. :confused:

I had an FH for 3 years and the trailer lights were forever blowing fuses, for the first year I carried a good supply of fuses, after that I would call out a fitter(usually between 0100 and 0400).

On one occassion I lost the trailer lights on the A30 (Honiton) westbound, this was 2 am. I phoned for assistance and a fitter was sent out from Exeter, said fitter couldn’t fix the lights, so I waited till daylight then followed fitter to his (Volvo) depot just off M5 (J30 I think).

Backed trailer into the workshop, fitter asked me take the unit off, which I did. Then say’s the manager would like to see me, off I go to the manager’s office.
“Sorry mate, your trailer’s being impounded” - but you can keep the unit.

The unit and trailer was on lease from (dodgy) Dawsons, whenever I had a breakdown Dawsons would contact Volvo and they in turn would attend.

However it turned out that Dawsons hadn’t been paying their bills to Volvo, and I just happened to have a valuable load (mainly laptop and desktop computers).

My firm told me that I must stay where I was and they would sort it out with Dawsons, this took a lot longer than anticipated and to cut a long story short, my firm sent me a hire car and I came home.

It was another 3 days before I finally got my unit and trailer back, oh yes I did get paid for those 3 days.

Owens Girl has it right anyway, if you connect the electrical leads and the suzies up with lights off and ignition off, it doesnt confuse the computer for the light check and abs operation.

Then when you turn on the ignition it will go through its series of checks and show up any faults.

Clever aren’t they these new fangled trucks■■? :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: Bet you wish you had one then Malc ■■ :stuck_out_tongue: :open_mouth: :blush:

DAFMAD:
Got to say, the later 420 engine is great, leaps away has loads of torque.

:confused: first time i’ve heard that about one :confused: :open_mouth:

V8KARLV8:
:? first time i’ve heard that about one :confused: :open_mouth:

Yes well, when you’re old enough to drive one you’ll be able to pass comment.

:confused: :confused: :smiley: OK, I saw the Volvo man and this is what he said…

There is no trailer light fuse, but, there is a controller unit. If this senses a fault in the trailer lights it can trip out. This can be reset by turning off the igntion, for at least 10 seconds, with the lights off. Then try again, if the lights trip this controller out again, the trailer fault will need rectifying.

This applies to 54 Reg, I omitted to ask, how far back this applies, model year wise.

Mine is December 2002 and on looking at the diagram on the back of the fuse cover lid and in the manual I have no trailer fuse listed so I guess it must be the same for mine. Thanks for that info DAFMAD.