The working week of a Trailer Mate in the 60's

rigsby:

Bewick:

dosser:
Bet you found that Lincolnshire isn’t so flat as they say Dennis ! Did you come up through Lincoln ? Lindum hill would warm your old 680 up a bit . Regards Geoff

Hiya Geoff, That job we did was a “one off” and it was over 50 years ago ! :open_mouth: But it stuck in my mind because it was a real cross country hike ! and hard work for both Eric and the Octopus! I was just in the “other seat” but it was an endless grind ! Glad it wasn’t a regular job phew ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

It’s alright for you , dozing in the lad’s seat whiling the time away while eric grafted . some of us were out there behind the wheel of a Foden standing up on the corners with the Armstrong steering and growing old before our time . you youngsters had it cushy .

Hey Riggers you’ll never know how hard it was keeping awake and “compus mentus” in that air suspended mates seat ! :wink: It took me about ten trips down to London before I saw the entire length of the M1 ! well after a substantial breakfast at the Hollies or the Jet what else is there for a keen young lad to do ? Zzzzzzzzzzzz!! PS sometimes that acrid smell from Stewartby brick works was blowing across the M/way so it woke you up :unamused: Oh! and just to ■■■■ you off the power steering on the Octopus was a light as a feather you could literally turn the wheel with one finger loaded or m/t ! happy days Cheers Dennis.

More of the Co-op.
After I came out of hospital I was put on the fruit with Jack McKee as light work. He had an LAD Albion Victor with a long body as it used to work out of the Tomato Nurseries at West Kilbride on the Clyde Coast.
We did Irvine, Kilwinning, Stevenston & Ardrossan Societies every Monday and Thursday (No Irvine on Thursday but sometimes West Kilbride and Fairlie.)
On a Monday we would meet two drivers from the S.C.W.S. at Kilmarnock, Frank MacDougall (Who I am proud to say was a friend in later life!) who worked out of the Eggs and Peter Duffy who delivered potatoes.
These two were a pair of rascals and always playing jokes on one another, and anyone else within reach. On a Monday, that was me!
Of course, there was no malice in all this, it was all good fun, and as they say, all’s fair in love and war!
When I appeared on the scene they both saw opportunities to expand their escapades in my direction.
As I was a Glaswegian, that didn’t last too long as soon I gave as good as I got.
Good times with good people. Sadly, Jack, Peter and Frank are up there in a better place, no doubt getting up to all kinds of mischief.

The rest of the week we did jobs such as bananas from College Street Goods Yard; this was a really yucky job. The bananas were in railway vans and had been heated, the bananas were just as they had been cut from trees, with spiders and lizards and other creepy crawlies to add flavour.
In those days no-one used gloves so what crawled out crawled on you! We tucked our ‘Breeks’ into our socks, tied string round the cuffs of our jackets and hope we didn’t get any live bonuses on us.
We also were regular visitors to the Fruit Market which then was in the City Centre around the Candleriggs. To say it was a congested area is an understatement, however, everyone who went there just put up with it.
There was one Polis who tried to stop ‘Tusking’ loads from a parked lorry onto one blocking the street but he would have been as well trying to stop the tide turning in the nearby Clyde.
I still remember with fondness the chips from the Ramshorn Restaurant in Ingram Street, fair makes my mouth water!
On one occasion in December we went up into the Trossachs to load Christmas Trees, the Forestry Commission guys cut them straight out the forest, Jack handled the loading and I drove the Albion along the road, stopping and starting as required.
Jack and I were pals, we fought and then were pals again, all part of life’s learning curve.
I was with Jack 9 months before being moved on again, this time to larger vehicles; I never lost touch with Jack and exchanged Christmas Cards every year.

The Late Jack McKee

Jack’s Bedford that he drove before going to the Fruit and the Albion.

The S.C.W.S. supported many Gala Days around Scotland, this one was the ■■■■■■■■ Ayrshire, Miners Gala Day. The float was made by the S.C.W.S. Advertising Dept. at Shieldhall, Glasgow. Drivers were paid overtime for the job and a blind eye was turned to them taking their wife’s for a day out. The photo’s were taken by Cathy, his wife, who I still keep in touch with.

A Merry Christmas to one and all!
Alex

Cracking stuff Alex,a really good read.
Keep up the good work pal. :smiley:

Are “we” out on the ■■■■ in Douglas to-night Chris or what :wink: All the best for 2018 cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Are “we” out on the ■■■■ in Douglas to-night Chris or what :wink: All the best for 2018 cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ha ha,no me owd pal,staying in tonight,out tomorrow for a meal and a fewish drinks,as yer do. :wink: My dodgy neet out money is dwindling fast… :grimacing:
Will you be partaking tonight then?

All the best to you as well.

Cheers,

Chris.

Same as you Chris, them days are long gone for Anne and me eh! :smiley: We’ve had a couple of drinks with the family this afternoon and we have a nice bit of beef rib for a slap up meal this evening, just the two of us ! But that’s suits us fine now, the days of staggering about hugging and kissing are all well behind us now :wink: Quiet day to-morrow mebe have a walk around to our Son’s in the afternoon, if they have “surfaced” that is ! You’ll have another problem arising in the year however, having to get rid of all the old tenners you have salted away. It’s no good taking them into the Bank as they will ask you how you came by so many ! Money Laundering etc ! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis

Bewick:
Same as you Chris, them days are long gone for Anne and me eh! :smiley: We’ve had a couple of drinks with the family this afternoon and we have a nice bit of beef rib for a slap up meal this evening, just the two of us ! But that’s suits us fine now, the days of staggering about hugging and kissing are all well behind us now :wink: Quiet day to-morrow mebe have a walk around to our Son’s in the afternoon, if they have “surfaced” that is ! You’ll have another problem arising in the year however, having to get rid of all the old tenners you have salted away. It’s no good taking them into the Bank as they will ask you how you came by so many ! Money Laundering etc ! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis

Yes,all for a quiet life like us then Dennis.we’ve just had a fortnight in Nice, France,we go every Xmas,rent an apartment there.
As far as old paper money is concerned they take owt in Switzerland,which reminds me,I must book a flight to Zurich and see me banker… :grimacing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Yes,all for a quiet life like us then Dennis.we’ve just had a fortnight in Nice, France,we go every Xmas,rent an apartment there.
As far as old paper money is concerned they take owt in Switzerland,which reminds me,I must book a flight to Zurich and see me banker… :grimacing:

What’s all this guff about “booking” a flight to Nice and Zurich Chris ! :wink: More like “I’ll alert my pilot” as to when and where I want to fly off the Island. Those private jets must be parked up like sardines on the IOM, and oh! I’ve just had a thought I bet you have a choice of pilots willing to do a “dodgy” for you which avoids you having to run your own plane, some of those Millionaire tossers ( Excepting you of course Chris :blush: ) won’t miss their private jet if it does a few “dodgies” eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

What’s all this guff about “booking” a flight to Nice and Zurich Chris ! :wink: More like “I’ll alert my pilot” as to when and where I want to fly off the Island. Those private jets must be parked up like sardines on the IOM, and oh! I’ve just had a thought I bet you have a choice of pilots willing to do a “dodgy” for you which avoids you having to run your own plane, some of those Millionaire tossers ( Excepting you of course Chris :blush: ) won’t miss their private jet if it does a few “dodgies” eh! Cheers Dennis.

Aye,my private jet was an Airbus A320,courtesy of EasyJet,IOM - Liverpool then Liverpool - Nice.There were some Manx registered private jets parked up at Nice Aeroport though…all above board and legal,like. :smiley:

I recall one trip down to South Wales loaded with 22 ton of Signode strapping we had to run into Leyland Motors at Oldbury with fuel trouble which resulted IIRC in a new fuel pump been fitted. Well late in the afternoon they finished the job and the Foreman a chap called Dezzy Bull a Great Fella where Leylands were concerned who we knew reasonably well from the other odd times we’d been in Oldbury said he would follow us for a bit down the M5 in his Vitesse service van, so could we “wind it up” as he was curious to find out what the Octopus would perform like and to make sure the job was “A O K”. IIRC when he finally overtook us to turn off at the junction ( Droitwhich I think) he said he would flick his back lights which he did 7 times. We had arranged to call back in to Oldbury on our way back home the next day or day after for a check. From memory the speedo more-or-less went off the clock at speed which only read upto 60 or 70 mph IIRC. Anyway, when we called back into Oldbury two days later Dezzy told us we had been clocking 75 MPH according to his clock. But I must say doing speeds like that were few and far between but we didn’t hang about either I’ve got to say ! The Octopus was shod on 900x20 Dunlop RB6’s and the trailer on Cross Ply 1000x20 I can never recall a trailer tyre blowing but once the RB6’s started popping 3 or 4 went within a few days, it was uncanny ! We had two blew off in Shap Village one morning and an old lass walking along the pavement just about had heart failure, what a ■■■■■■■ Bang! Bang! on the N/S. Gorills from Penrith came out to fit two new ones ! Cheers Dennis.

Very interesting Dennis. That young Dan on the Foden thread reckoned I have a good memory but I think you have a better one. Mind you, being older you have more to remember than me! :wink: Being ‘laid up’ poorly for ten days and unable to work I have been musing over my past life as a mechanic and driver on BMC/Bedfords/Fodens etc, hence my Foden and tipper ramblings on here, and it was good writing them down on here even though they wouldn’t mean much to anyone else. Gave the old grey matter a workout at least! Those of us of a ‘certain age’ should really get our more interesting experiences down in writing or similar for posterity, we could be on the best seller list along with that J.K Rowling chap! :laughing:

Pete.

As an aside, Athersmith Bros of Barrow had an identical specc’d Power Plus Octopus to Brady’s but my mate Eric said it would have been lucky if it ever saw the top side of 40 mph never mind getting dropped into Overdrive :blush: . The driver was called Eddie Mansell and his mate was his Brother-in-law who’s name just escapes me ( might have been Arnold !) what a right pair of miserable ■■■■■■■■ they were. IIRC the mate ended up on a 4 wheeler TK after they had had a family fall out. “Leyland 680” will know more about them than I can recall. But the Athersmith Octopus would be lucky if it did 50% of the work the Brady Octopus & trailer did during their respective lives, I kid you not ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
As an aside, Athersmith Bros of Barrow had an identical specc’d Power Plus Octopus to Brady’s but my mate Eric said it would have been lucky if it ever saw the top side of 40 mph never mind getting dropped into Overdrive :blush: . The driver was called Eddie Mansell and his mate was his Brother-in-law who’s name just escapes me ( might have been Arnold !) what a right pair of miserable [zb] they were. IIRC the mate ended up on a 4 wheeler TK after they had had a family fall out. “Leyland 680” will know more about them than I can recall. But the Athersmith Octopus would be lucky if it did 50% of the work the Brady Octopus & trailer did during their respective lives, I kid you not ! Cheers Dennis.

Very appropriate reg number Dennis WTF .

rigsby:

Bewick:
As an aside, Athersmith Bros of Barrow had an identical specc’d Power Plus Octopus to Brady’s but my mate Eric said it would have been lucky if it ever saw the top side of 40 mph never mind getting dropped into Overdrive :blush: . The driver was called Eddie Mansell and his mate was his Brother-in-law who’s name just escapes me ( might have been Arnold !) what a right pair of miserable [zb] they were. IIRC the mate ended up on a 4 wheeler TK after they had had a family fall out. “Leyland 680” will know more about them than I can recall. But the Athersmith Octopus would be lucky if it did 50% of the work the Brady Octopus & trailer did during their respective lives, I kid you not ! Cheers Dennis.

Very appropriate reg number Dennis WTF .

Well spotted Dave , I couldn’t possibly comment :blush: :wink: Athersmiths ran four waggon and trailer outfits, The Octopus, a Seddon DD8, an Atkinson and a Leyland Hippo. Obviously these outfits disappeared with the onset of the 1968 Transport Act. Athersmiths also ran artics , all Seddons both coach built and then the 32:4 ( LXB 180’s) but interestly they never ran any 40 foot trailers and I don’t think they even ran any 33 foot trailers either! even though they only sold out to Brady’s in '73.Cheers Bewick.

The final part of the story.

When I was 17 I was moved from the fruit to larger vehicles, these were mainly 10 tonners and 8 wheelers. For some reason I never got onto the 6 wheelers but that’s just the way it was.
This move meant overnights to Bladnoch Creamery in Galloway. When delivering to Societies such as Patna & Dalmellington, Stranrear, Newton Stewart & Wigtown, Carrick Co-op (Maybole & Crosshill or Dailly & Girvan) we went on to Wigtown for an overnight stay.
The digs we stayed at were run by Mrs Fergusson (Or Ma as she was known) and her daughter Sadie. Good food, clean beds and warm in the winter.
Next morning we got up at 6 and went to Bladnoch for a load of margarines and fats for Glasgow.
Sometimes we loaded fats and shortening for the United Co-operative Baking Society (U.C.B.S.) at McNeil St. Bakery in the Gorbals or their biscuit factory at Clydebank. Both of these were good drops as we would leave with cakes at one and biscuits at the other, perks of the job.
On occasions we would go to Whithorn Creamery to load cheese, after loading at any of the creameries we would go back to the digs for our breakfast.
After leaving our next stop would be at Gray & Young’s garage in Girvan which belonged to the Wholesale, the rest of the day would be a gentle run home for tipping the next day.
One of the good drivers I spent time with was Wallace Watson who drove a Bedford TK 192 DGE. In later years I would drive this vehicle myself.
When on the 8 wheelers there was another ‘Perk of the job’ for the boys.
On a Friday some of the drivers would come in with a hangover. In the winter when it wasn’t light here until almost 9 am, we started at 6 in darkness. The driver (No names mentioned!) would go about half a mile then pull over and swap places with the boy who, wearing a Bunnet (Flat Cap) would pull it down almost to his eyes, turn up the collar of his Donkey Jacket and drive to the Sugar house at Greenock while the driver slept.
In those days this was down the old A8 single Carriageway, through Renfrew, Bishopton, and Port Glasgow to Greenock.
On arrival at Westburn Sugar, the boy then filled the cans with tea and both started the day the proper way. First stop was in the Refinery itself where 2 Cwt bags were loaded; these came from way up the building. We filled a bucket with water and then soaked some rags. These were thrown up the chute to slow the bags as they came down at Warp Speed.
The boy drove the lorry a few feet at a time past the chute when instructed to and the driver loaded these 5 across. The next step was across the road to the warehouse where we loaded parcels of Sugar, Icing Sugar and Treacle.
One of the not so pleasant jobs on the 8 wheelers was when they came up from London with a high load of tea in tea chests.
The boys didn’t go south so we were only were allocated to a driver when he came back. At Shieldhall near the city boundary with Renfrew, the Wholesale had an Industrial Estate of its own, being built before the term was ever thought of.
The tea factory was owned jointly with the English C.W.S., that wasn’t a problem, the 2 foot high loading bank was. As we all know, in those days everything was handballed off and handballed on.
Getting those tea chests down from the top of the load was bad enough; the risk was in getting your hands ripped by the jagged metal used to seal them. Not many managed to leave without spilling blood, no gloves in those days.
When I was 18 I started driving, my first lorry being a 30 Cwt petrol Threepenny Bit BMC. That brings us to the end of my tales about being a boy at the Co-op.

Looking back, it was a great place to learn your craft, the boys had a thorough training in all the arts of driving and loading lorries and vans, not to mention gaining valuable mechanical knowledge to make you self sufficient. No Scania Lifeline or DAF Aid in those days, you got out and got under.
In later years I worked for BRS at the Douglas Branch in Glasgow. I loaded in Leeds for Leith and Glasgow and went to digs in Walker, Tyneside, for the night. I met two of my workmates there, Tam ■■■■ who drove an 8 wheel Ergo Mammoth Major on long loads and his mate, old Matha.
We left the digs next morning and walked to where we had left our lorries, mine on that trip was an LAD Albion flat.
I had loaded promotional material for Shell consisting of pallets of small whisky glasses on the bottom, pallets of advertising material on the top. I used three sheets, two in normal fore and aft fashion albeit each hanging down at the capes (Raves for the foreigners!) to cover the high load. The third sheet went across the load (Port to Starboard?) to cover the front. All securely roped down.
When Tam saw my lorry, he and Matha walked round it very slowly, examining the sheeted load. I was waiting for him to find fault in the way it was sheeted. Ignoring me completely, he surprised me by turning to Matha, and said ‘One thing about these ex co-op boys, Ian Spittal, John Fitzhenry (Both of whom I had worked with at SCWS) and Alex Saville, they can all rope and sheet! Well trained!’ And with those remarks they climbed aboard their eight wheeler, waved to me and were gone. Praise indeed from a master of the art of lorry driving.

And so ends my story of being a boy at the S.C.W.S, Social History, so they say.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Sid Black with his ■■■■■■■ engine Foden, last seen burned out at the top of Shap on the A6.
Note the neat load of bags of flour from the Regent Mill, Partick, Glasgow. Photo Copyright Alex Saville/S.C.W.S.

Decades earlier another neat load of flour loaded just along the street at the Regent Mill. Photo Copyright Alex Saville/S.C.W.S.

PDTP0824 (2).jpg
Leyland Octopus with a load of tea from London for Glasgow. Photo copyright S.C.W.S. and present day Co-op.

An old friend Allan Crawford when he was doing his boy on this coachbuilt cab Albion. The milk was loaded out of the S.C.W.S. Creamery on Hawkhead Road Paisley and was destined for Beith, Kilbirnie and Dalry Co-ops, Ayrshire. This lorry was around until Plating and Testing killed the old lorries off. Photo Copyright Allan Crawford.

The Late Frank MacDougall of Moscow, Ayrshire with his prizewinning Albion Victor. Frank worked out of the Egg Department in Kilmarnock. I’m proud to say he was a friend.

The First (Officially) Lorry I drove. A Three penny Bit petrol 30 Cwt. BMC which I drove on the fruit. Photo copyright Alex Saville

The Last lorry I drove, Robin Masters Bristol which I drove from Pershore to the Lincoln Farm Café and back for BRS 64. Still got the old touch, I’m pleased to say. Photo Copyright Alex Saville.

Good stuff Alex, thanks for sharing your memories. Your days as a “boy”, an apprenticeship by another name??

Grand stuff Alex,thanks for sharing your experiences from long ago. :slight_smile:

Yes, Graham, I suppose it could be called an apprenticeship, I learned a lot from those drivers and when I went to BRS I learnt even more from the older generation.
If the job is worth doing then it’s worth doing right was the way I was taught.
One of the gems of wisdom handed down was ‘It’s my brains and your youth - if It works, I take the credit, if it doesn’t YOU take the blame!’
Delivered in good humour.
Thank you and Chris both for your kind words.
Alex

Congratulations Alex for a thoroughly interesting thread, I didn’t realise what a very large, all embracing, the SCWS was ! I suppose the same could be said about the CWS in England although maybe not as concentrated as was the SCWS. Anyway enough of the technicalities ! What a shame those SCWS 8 wheelers didn’t pull trailers down to “the smoke” you don’t know what you missed !! Who knows you might even have come across “H” in his early years in one of the East end dives which he used to regularly visit :wink: I believe there is still an old Bird who still goes in the Brown Bear in Leman St. looking for that 'andsome Lad from East Lancashire to whom she claims to have been “betrothed” :blush: Can you still be had up for “breach of promise” ? I won’t “grass “H” up” if you won’t Alex !! :wink: All The Best for 2018 Dennis.

Dennis

Thanks for your generous words.
The S.C.W.S. wa a Multi-National before the word was thought of. Two of it’s managers were Chairman and President (At different times.) of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange, having been sent out to Manitoba to look after the Societies interest’s there.
They had an office in Montreal for a subsidiary called Scottish General Products which sold Co-op made goods in North America.
The photo below shows a Grain Elevator, next to the Railroad tracks in Glass Manitoba that belonged to the Society.

glasselevator1.jpg

Alex