The working week of a Trailer Mate in the 60's

windrush:
Regarding the cab operated trailer brakes Dennis, did you have to apply them all the time or could the outfit slow/stop using just the wagons braking system with the trailer brake as backup?

Pete.

Hiya Pete, There wasn’t a separate cab operated brake on the Octopus it was full air through to the rear axle of the trailer although it was only 6 wheel braking on the Octopus. So the brakes were not the best and that was an under statement ! But you sure learned to always look well ahead which was a lesson I never forgot even when I was running motors at Bewick Transport with excellent “anchors” ! Cheers Dennis.

No trailer brake in the cab, Windrush- he wasn’t a “proper” trailer mate, he just went along for the ride!

And to learn R&S, of course. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
No trailer brake in the cab, Windrush- he wasn’t a “proper” trailer mate, he just went along for the ride!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink:

jmc jnr:
I was a stand-in trailer mate at Fridged Freight from 1963 to 1968. I usually spent the whole of my school holidays filling in for holiday makers or sickies - my father was a driver, promoted to T.M. so I got first call when a shortage came up and I was keen enough to hang in there when the permanent lad came back. I was taught Never to be idle or caught with my hands in my pockets and built up a memory bank of corny jokes to while away the miles and keep the driver awake. As soon as we stopped I cleaned the screen, mirrors and lights - back number plates and marker boards. Checked the fridges for oil, gas and temperature settings, thermostat settings - head underneath for air leaks - look out for punctures and whilst the driver dieseled up, up with the bonnet and check the oil. Once she had cooled down a bit I checked the water and put the blankets back after a good shake outside, then tidied the cab. I never got into trouble - well - once - I ■■■■■■ and got thrown out in the pouring rain on the East Lancs road - we were heading for the Liverpool to Belfast ferry. A police car stopped and the copper asked why I was plodding up a dangerous road - soaked to the skin. Sod started laughing when I explained, but gave me a lift to the wagon and then gave the driver a bollocking for travelling in a wagon and drag without a Mate on board!
Before the motorway network was established we went through the towns and cities and - in the age of the mini skirt - there was plenty to see and admire - not like now. A day was filled with adventure, although accidents could cause serious delays, especially where ferry connections were affected and we were to unwieldy to take to the back roads, but the drivers always knew a route that would take us there on time.
Better go before I bore you all. Jim.

Brilliant read Jim ! :smiley: More please ! Between you and Dennis this should be an intresting thread !! :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dennis
This is a bad photo of HEO 557 or the motor you mated on
JEO 192 loaded with a load of signode steel strip
Still to be sheeted correctly by you and Possy
Cheers. Frank Another X trailer mate

Image.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retired Old ■■■■:

Like my old dog used to then ROF! :laughing:

Pete.

probably not quite the same thing , but many years ago I did a few weeks at british Leyland Workington (assembly) . anyway I was getting through my work quicker than I should and spending my free time wandering about the place. this was spotted and I was told to go and see the wagon driver , he needed a second man , so off I trots to see bewicks old mate Robbie boyes .I introduced myself and asked what I was required to do?. he explained how we were going to take a rail carriage down to the harbour site where it would be attached to the bogies . so what do you want me to do I asked ? just get in that side n enjoy the ride out, out needs doin arrl do it marra . I got that job a few times . :smiley:

Leyland 680:
Hi Dennis

Aye I wondered when the “Big’uns Blue Eyed Boy” would pop up ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: How are keeping frank, well I trust ! Who is the Lad stood in fron’t of the Octopus ? and that looks a nice trailer it even has mudguards on the front axle. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Leyland 680:
Hi Dennis

Aye I wondered when the “Big’uns Blue Eyed Boy” would pop up ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: How are keeping frank, well I trust ! Who is the Lad stood in fron’t of the Octopus ? and that looks a nice trailer it even has mudguards on the front axle. Cheers Dennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That lad said he was a trailer mate on that motor I don’t no him I will be before I started as a mate and that was June 1964 but you no over the years of Brady’s having wagon and trailer’s there will have been lot’s of mate’s
Ok Dennis

Leyland 680:
That lad said he was a trailer mate on that motor I don’t no him I will be before I started as a mate and that was June 1964 but you no over the years of Brady’s having wagon and trailer’s there will have been lot’s of mate’s
Ok Dennis

To be honest Frank, Possy didn’t need a mate did he ! The only benefit he got was quicker roping and sheeting and someone to get onto the loads and unfold the sheets Eh! But I hit it off with him he was a great driver and mate to work with I know Jakie used to call him all kinds of names on the phone at times but he knew he was one of the best he employed eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Leyland 680:
Ok Dennis

To be honest Frank, Possy didn’t need a mate did he ! The only benefit he got was quicker roping and sheeting and someone to get onto the loads and unfold the sheets Eh! But I hit it off with him he was a great driver and mate to work with I know Jakie used to call him all kinds of names on the phone at times but he knew he was one of the best he employed eh! Cheers Dennis.

That is so true Dennis but to be honest It was a big learning curve to be taught by driver,s like
Erice more so for young people like me and you were who were going to make driving there
career PS should have herd some of the name’s Jakie Brady called me down the phone. Cheers Frank

Thing was Frank all the names he called you were probably true and well deserved eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Serious though I’ll tell you an hilarious story about Jakie and Eric one day in London, well you recall in those days it was all transfer charge calls well this day Eric calls Barrow and gets put through so Jakie says “Hang on a minute Son I’m just on another line” So Possy being Possy just stands in the phone box for absolutely ■■■■■■■ ages deliberate like ! so eventually Jakie comes back on the line and explodes at the Telephonist for not cutting the call off, he calls her fit to burn ( I’m stood at the kiosk door) so Possy buts in and says Sorry about his behaviour Luv but I’ll give you my name and address if you want to make summat out of it !!! Well Jakie hears this and he’s ■■■■■■■ screaming, fit to be tied down ! he calls Possy a ■■■■■■■ Glass Backed pig and he will ■■■■■■■ sack him when he gets back !! It was hilarious I was crippled with laughing. IIRC when we did get back to Barrow it was “OK Son had a good trip, just nip up to Cellophane and there’s a load ready for you” All’s forgotten and normal service resumes ! Well you probably remember they didn’t hold grudges Jakie or the Big’un only toward each other in later yrears. Cheers Dennis.

I honestly cannot remember a driver that I didn’t get on with. We were stuck together and made the best of it. There were artic drivers that I wouldn’t ■■■■■ on if flames were coming out of their flies, but the 8 wheeler drivers were the best. Those days are sadley gone but we were here there and everywhere as a team. No bother, the job got done, and my word - we had quite a few laughs, and experiences on the way. You have to have been there and done that to get what I mean. I was young, but I learned fast because I was with the best. Jim.

jmc jnr:
I honestly cannot remember a driver that I didn’t get on with. We were stuck together and made the best of it. There were artic drivers that I wouldn’t ■■■■■ on if flames were coming out of their flies, but the 8 wheeler drivers were the best. Those days are sadley gone but we were here there and everywhere as a team. No bother, the job got done, and my word - we had quite a few laughs, and experiences on the way. You have to have been there and done that to get what I mean. I was young, but I learned fast because I was with the best. Jim.

Never a truer word was spoken Jim ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Thing was Frank all the names he called you were probably true and well deserved eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Serious though I’ll tell you an hilarious story about Jakie and Eric one day in London, well you recall in those days it was all transfer charge calls well this day Eric calls Barrow and gets put through so Jakie says “Hang on a minute Son I’m just on another line” So Possy being Possy just stands in the phone box for absolutely [zb] ages deliberate like ! so eventually Jakie comes back on the line and explodes at the Telephonist for not cutting the call off, he calls her fit to burn ( I’m stood at the kiosk door) so Possy buts in and says Sorry about his behaviour Luv but I’ll give you my name and address if you want to make summat out of it !!! Well Jakie hears this and he’s [zb] screaming, fit to be tied down ! he calls Possy a [zb] Glass Backed pig and he will [zb] sack him when he gets back !! It was hilarious I was crippled with laughing. IIRC when we did get back to Barrow it was “OK Son had a good trip, just nip up to Cellophane and there’s a load ready for you” All’s forgotten and normal service resumes ! Well you probably remember they didn’t hold grudges Jakie or the Big’un only toward each other in later yrears. Cheers Dennis.

:smiley: Aye all forgotten Dennis.
I were sacked at 0600 in Sheffield market in 1969 for being two hours late off a Abbey Wood changeover,which were not my fault in spite of trying to explain why.I told him to shove his job and F and V up where t’sun doesn’t shine and went home.I t was about 6 at night when t’wagon keys and an apology were shoved through letterbox for t’next night shift.Happened a couple of times. :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:
Thing was Frank all the names he called you were probably true and well deserved eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Serious though I’ll tell you an hilarious story about Jakie and Eric one day in London, well you recall in those days it was all transfer charge calls well this day Eric calls Barrow and gets put through so Jakie says “Hang on a minute Son I’m just on another line” So Possy being Possy just stands in the phone box for absolutely [zb] ages deliberate like ! so eventually Jakie comes back on the line and explodes at the Telephonist for not cutting the call off, he calls her fit to burn ( I’m stood at the kiosk door) so Possy buts in and says Sorry about his behaviour Luv but I’ll give you my name and address if you want to make summat out of it !!! Well Jakie hears this and he’s [zb] screaming, fit to be tied down ! he calls Possy a [zb] Glass Backed pig and he will [zb] sack him when he gets back !! It was hilarious I was crippled with laughing. IIRC when we did get back to Barrow it was “OK Son had a good trip, just nip up to Cellophane and there’s a load ready for you” All’s forgotten and normal service resumes ! Well you probably remember they didn’t hold grudges Jakie or the Big’un only toward each other in later yrears. Cheers Dennis.

I were sacked at 0600 in Sheffield market in 1969 for being two hours late off a Abbey Wood changeover,which were not my fault in spite of trying to explain why.I told him to shove his job and F and V up where t’sun doesn’t shine and went home.I t was about 6 at night when t’wagon keys and an apology were shoved through letterbox for t’next night shift.Happened a couple of times. :laughing:

It was a regular feature years ago Chris and there was no “un fair dismissal claims” in those far off days, but it was easier to walk into another job eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

It was a regular feature years ago Chris and there was no “un fair dismissal claims” in those far off days, but it was easier to walk into another job eh! Cheers Dennis.

You are spot on about walking into another job Dennis.Not long after I was in my local one sunday lunchtime and in he walks with his accountant pal,and afore he disappeared into “lounge bar” told me to get off to Southampton that afternoon and load oranges next morning back for Sheffield - no notice,no bugger all.Well I wanted my “Grandfather’s Rights” form for Class One licence signing so bit me lip and went at 0200 Monday morning down to PJ Pouparts,loaded and back to Sheffield,not quite legal but near enough.He weren’t happy at all as he’d checked my time leaving Sheffield market but I reminded him about having no notice of the job and presented him with the form to sign to get licence from North Eastern T Cs at Leeds.Licence came through a fortnight later and I were away to A E Evans on tankers a week later.Happy days,well most of em. :grimacing:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

You are spot on about walking into another job Dennis.Not long after I was in my local one sunday lunchtime and in he walks with his accountant pal,and afore he disappeared into “lounge bar” told me to get off to Southampton that afternoon and load oranges next morning back for Sheffield - no notice,no bugger all.Well I wanted my “Grandfather’s Rights” form for Class One licence signing so bit me lip and went at 0200 Monday morning down to PJ Pouparts,loaded and back to Sheffield,not quite legal but near enough.He weren’t happy at all as he’d checked my time leaving Sheffield market but I reminded him about having no notice of the job and presented him with the form to sign to get licence from North Eastern T Cs at Leeds.Licence came through a fortnight later and I were away to A E Evans on tankers a week later.Happy days,well most of em. :grimacing:

No flies on our Chris, not even the marks where’ve they’ed been eh! Cheers Dennis. :sunglasses:

You were lucky to find a pub that opened in Wales on a Sunday back in the sixties so drink up Denzil and crack on with the next episode. :smiley:

Chris you mentioned the North Eastern Area Traffic Office in Leeds, would that of been in a street called Swinegate. :confused:
A mate of mine got fined for parking in the seventies and had to send his postal order to the traffic office in Swinegate, what an appropriate address. :laughing: