The music thread

We are quite lucky in my town as we have a fairly active music scene .
Everything from solo performers to full swing band and some tribute acts .
We have several pubs and welfare clubs that have live bands and a couple of professional venues and some growing annual festivals .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

No real reason but it’s got a funky beat

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wck6YaZytmM

The gas man:
No real reason but it’s got a funky beat

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wck6YaZytmM

The originals v rap covers. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=vgSQCRDbvFg

youtube.com/watch?v=Er9xGRolrT4

youtube.com/watch?v=rKTUAESacQM

Friend of mine just attended the Shrewsbury Folk Festival last week and sent me some photos of himself with folk rocks first lady,Maddy Prior no less.Blagged me a signed copy of Steeleyes new cd,‘Dodgy ■■■■■■■■■ :slight_smile: Always loved steeleye span and their rockier take of trad English songs,Blacksmith,Lowlands Of Holland,Marrowbones,Bonny Moorhen etc.
The finest truck n roll track for me though has to be ‘High tide and green grass’ by the Outlaws a breathtaking multi guitar tour de force in the Lynnrd Skynnrd tradition.Awesome music.

grumpyken52:
We are quite lucky in my town as we have a fairly active music scene .
Everything from solo performers to full swing band and some tribute acts .
We have several pubs and welfare clubs that have live bands and a couple of professional venues and some growing annual festivals .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Some of these ‘tribute’ acts are getting out of hand lately.George Michaels barely cold in his grave before his legacies (for what it is)is plundered by brazen opportunists hither and yon.
Got dragged to a Limehouse Lizzy gig years ago,yes they were pretty good to be fair,but Fleetwod Mac,Floyd??..nar,leave well alone.

Ok got a bit of a varied taste in music, my ipod includes stuff like this.

I hope you find something you enjoy.

Dropkick Murpheys

Dreadzone

Gogol Bordello

Show of Hands

Bellowhead

Faithless

Robyn

Paul Brandt

Kendal Carson

Marty Mone

Flogging Molly

muckles:
Kendal Carson

Blimey who cares about the record. :open_mouth: :smiley:

While along similar lines.I’ll always remember the first of these often on the radio as a soundtrack when running up and down the M40 and M6 on the Scotch changeover.

youtube.com/watch?v=G6Kspj3OO0s

youtube.com/watch?v=tLpsDamWdIM

Cover versions?
Dylans "All Along The WatchTower" was taken and owned by Hendrix for my money, but that didnt stop The Grateful Dead, XTC, Clapton and Kravtz and many others putting out good versions.
youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY
But outta left field comes this theme to a TV version of a 1847 novel:
tvadvertmusic.com/2018/09/v … ne-singer/
Totally different, but great choice. Well done.

Hendrix is the artist probably most associated with “Hey Joe” too,
youtube.com/watch?v=rXwMrBb2x1Q
but have this next version is sooo different. A sense of humour is necessary first
youtube.com/watch?v=eYzVkV94IfA

The Persuaders had a hit with “Thin Line Between Love and Hate” covered and IMHO improved by The Pretenders
youtube.com/watch?v=4pCCdclkdLY
And Annie Lennox does a good version too.

Then to equal things out, Chrissie Hynde`s “Private Lives” is covered by Grace Jones,
youtube.com/watch?v=yvLn_qC7QAs

Franglais:
Cover versions?

Some good cover version there, I think if you’re going to cover somebody elses song you should try and bring something new to it or just set yourself up as a tribute act.

My contribution:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA

muckles:

Franglais:
Cover versions?

Some good cover version there, I think if you’re going to cover somebody elses song you should try and bring something new to it or just set yourself up as a tribute act.

Agree with that. A straight copy is no big deal. A new version may be difficult to get on with if we like the original, but if we can get past that, well.
How about this though?
“Stairway To Heaven”? Great in the original form. But after hearing a great live album by the late and great Mr Zappa, up pops this version. It rises out of the mayhem of one of Franks live gigs, so give it time... [youtube.com/watch?v=d0MxkZHeYPs](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0MxkZHeYPs) Now, I think its great, but maybe thats because I heard it after the full (live recorded) show. Zappa ripping Jimmy Swaggert to shreads etc. And Im a fan of Frank. Dunno how it will sound to anyone coming at it cold?
Other covers by Zappa, include
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hiDYE5Qdw
and bet thisll upset the C and W fans [youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY) Heres Frank getting Sting to jam at a gig.
youtube.com/watch?v=5Q313A5oS8E

And lookit what YouTube throws up next!
Dweezil and a 12year old violinist playing one of his Dads numbers
youtube.com/watch?v=TOywUUqDuBE

One last cover
Sam Cooke`s 1957 hit covered by many, but here is Eddi Reader: spine tingling…
youtube.com/watch?v=VqhS2E13EH0

Franglais:
Cover versions?

covered and IMHO improved by The Pretenders

And this one. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=ANaP26V1tFw

Franglais:

muckles:

Agree with that. A straight copy is no big deal. A new version may be difficult to get on with if we like the original, but if we can get past that, well.

and bet this`ll upset the C and W fans
youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY

Here’s a cover version that Johnny Cash made his own.
Does anybody even know the original?

Carryfast:

Franglais:
Cover versions?

covered and IMHO improved by The Pretenders

And this one. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=ANaP26V1tFw

Not often I give you a Smilie, but you get two for that! :smiley: :smiley:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

and bet this`ll upset the C and W fans
youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY

Here’s a cover version that Johnny Cash made his own.
Does anybody even know the original?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Had to go and find the original of course! No, never heard it before.
The Cash version is great. Neither version is an easy listen (in a complimentary way) but Cash has it for me.

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
Cover versions?

How about this though?
“Stairway To Heaven”? Great in the original form. But after hearing a great live album by the late and great Mr Zappa, up pops this version. It rises out of the mayhem of one of Franks live gigs, so give it time... [youtube.com/watch?v=d0MxkZHeYPs](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0MxkZHeYPs) Now, I think its great, but maybe thats because I heard it after the full (live recorded) show. Zappa ripping Jimmy Swaggert to shreads etc. And Im a fan of Frank. Dunno how it will sound to anyone coming at it cold?
Other covers by Zappa, include
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hiDYE5Qdw
and bet thisll upset the C and W fans [youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCuyGcw8ddY) Heres Frank getting Sting to jam at a gig.
youtube.com/watch?v=5Q313A5oS8E

And lookit what YouTube throws up next!
Dweezil and a 12year old violinist playing one of his Dads numbers
youtube.com/watch?v=TOywUUqDuBE

Love Zappas work-Muffin Man,Dirty Love,and if there’s a wittier song than Valley Girl,it’s sure escaped me.

manalishi:
Love Zappas work-Muffin Man,Dirty Love,and if there’s a wittier song than Valley Girl,it’s sure escaped me.

Agree there.
Serious guitar player, and composer. Some heavier stuff, and some social and political commentary, but never without a humourous touch when needed.
youtube.com/watch?v=p-LArv-sEQU
Zappa had an obituary by Natalie Wheen on BBC R4, I think. He received a standing ovation from the LSO after working with them. He was seriously anti drug and drink. Really interesting character.
youtube.com/watch?v=KSZXBjU2juk
youtube.com/watch?v=XhDXbElN1oY

Franglais:

manalishi:

Agree there.
Serious guitar player, and composer. Some heavier stuff, and some social and political commentary, but never without a humourous touch when needed.
youtube.com/watch?v=p-LArv-sEQU
Zappa had an obituary by Natalie Wheen on BBC R4, I think. He received a standing ovation from the LSO after working with them. He was seriously anti drug and drink. Really interesting character.
youtube.com/watch?v=KSZXBjU2juk
youtube.com/watch?v=XhDXbElN1oY

All true,if you want some good reading on Frank and his central role with the Laurel Canyon scene,i heartily recco-‘Weird Scenes inside The Canyon’ by the late great David Mcgowan.Mind- blower of a book.

My music collection is very mixed, depending on my mood I listen to everything but new country or the ■■■■ that makes up the current top 40.

Got a few favourites though.

youtu.be/gkqfpkTTy2w

youtu.be/EbI0cMyyw_M

youtu.be/Bk7RVw3I8eg

youtu.be/Eab_beh07HU

youtu.be/wyQUCYl-ocs

youtu.be/IwOfCgkyEj0

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk