Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

Rowley010:
Electric truck for a smaller rigid doing town/city centre multi drops within a 30 mile radius from the depot might not be far away.

To put it on a 44 tonner going up and down the country all week. I think they are a LONG way off making that happen.

This is true for the short term, but things change, I’m sure many train drivers in the 1920’s thought that trucks would only supply short distance transport from railhead to customer.

I personally think battery operated vehicles are only a short term thing, I’m pretty sure the transport of system in 50 to 100 years will be very different from what we know and from what many predict it will be.

dancompression:

Dipper_Dave:
wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

The law of the conservation of energy says this will not work. Any charge such turbines produce will be negated by increase aero drag.

I thought that after I posted (honest) but surely they could use clever ducting to channel the used airflow away, this ducting could have smaller turbines at the end for the focused air to be used as well.

Using vanes angled for propulsion could also generate a small amount of thrust. Bit like propeller aircraft but using natural aero for power and battery charging.

I’m off to patent this idea…

Ignore this post I’m trying to fix an earlier post and got in a mess. By earlier I mean the one above this. Done it now, why are you still reading this one. Alright I made a boo boo, I’m not perfect. Handy round a ■■■■■ maybe but ■■■■■■■■■ this phone is a whole different ball game.

dancompression:

IronEddie:
[True we are slowly moving to generate all electricity via green or nuclear means. But what about the construction of the vehicle itself? The petrochemicals used to create the plastics used extensively in the vehicles construction for example, the construction of the batteries themselves isn’t green either.

During the lifetime of the vehicle it will more than compensate for its increased manufacturing environmental costs. Combustion engines vehicles need manufacturing too! The batteries are recyclable. It would NOT be a good idea to scrap a combustion engine vehicle before the end of it’s life because it isn’t electric.

blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-nealer/g … ssions-953

And as mentioned, this will improve as renewable increase.

Ok the graph is quite convincing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Dipper_Dave:

dancompression:

Dipper_Dave:
wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

The law of the conservation of energy says this will not work. Any charge such turbines produce will be negated by increase aero drag.

I thought that after I posted (honest) but surely they could use clever ducting to channel the used airflow away, this ducting could have smaller turbines at the end for the focused air to be used as well.

Using vanes angled for propulsion could also generate a small amount of thrust. Bit like propeller aircraft but using natural aero for power and battery charging.

I’m off to patent this idea…

Just moving my line of thought on a bit, if Tesla and Dyson joined forces between them they could create a form of natural propulsion that would not only generate charge for the batteries but ■■■■ the truck along using the biggest area of drag since Cyril Smith put a dress on.

Think I’m entering the realms of perpetual motion here but would only work at higher speeds.

No wonder I have a 166 IQ… :wink:

Already touched on here, but with electric vehicles the energy used in braking can be put back into the batteries.
The energy used to get a vehicle up a bank can be replaced by the energy used to slow it down on the other side. In the real world it’ll never be equal, but will make a big difference in overall efficiency. Just consider all that heat thrown out (wasted) by an engine climbing a hill and all that heat thrown out by brakes and retarder (wasted) on the descent. I’ll have a bet that what takes to the road first will be a hybrid, large batteries, regenerative braking, and an I.C. engine to give a boost to the batteries when needed. And with predictions about the route chosen maybe use the engine to top up the battery before a hill upwards, or allow the battery to get low if a descent is approaching.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

Dipper_Dave:
Solar panels on top of trailers and units, wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

Kinetic energy charging from braking, wireless leccy charging from motorways etc…

The technologies available, but you can guarantee the moment I plug my kettle in the whole lot shuts down.

I think the national grid should be more worried about mrs Dipper’s super-de-luxe ■■■■■■■■…

so what will happen to the deisel fairys will they be replaced by solar fairys, or will they be retrained

Franglais:
Already touched on here, but with electric vehicles the energy used in braking can be put back into the batteries.
The energy used to get a vehicle up a bank can be replaced by the energy used to slow it down on the other side. In the real world it’ll never be equal, but will make a big difference in overall efficiency. Just consider all that heat thrown out (wasted) by an engine climbing a hill and all that heat thrown out by brakes and retarder (wasted) on the descent. I’ll have a bet that what takes to the road first will be a hybrid, large batteries, regenerative braking, and an I.C. engine to give a boost to the batteries when needed. And with predictions about the route chosen maybe use the engine to top up the battery before a hill upwards, or allow the battery to get low if a descent is approaching.

Modern Hybrid racing cars not only recover power from the brakes, but also recover energy from the exhaust system, and a motor connected to the turbocharger which works both in a recovery mode and is also able to spin the turbo up to reduce turbo lag. The F1 regs have reduced the allowed fuel flow to 100kg/h, when F1 stopped using the 3l engines they required a fuel flow rate of around 190kg/h. I’ve spoken to drivers who’ve moved from normal racing cars to the hybrids, and they say the main things they notice is the instant acceleration from the electric motors and the extra braking from the energy recovery system.

Mercedes have just launched the Project One supercar, 1000bhp from a 1.6litre hybrid engine :open_mouth: taken directly from their F1 program.

Imagine the energy recovery possibilities of a modern 13litre diesel engine and the saving on fuel costs and the extra torque for hill climbing or pulling away fully loaded?

The only thing for me having seen the procedure for making the car safe for transport and the procedures in place to deal with battery and ERS problems, is the amount of power in the system if something goes wrong.

malcolmgbell:

the nodding donkey:

Dipper_Dave:
Solar panels on top of trailers and units, wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

Kinetic energy charging from braking, wireless leccy charging from motorways etc…

The technologies available, but you can guarantee the moment I plug my kettle in the whole lot shuts down.

I think the national grid should be more worried about mrs Dipper’s super-de-luxe ■■■■■■■■…

so what will happen to the deisel fairys will they be replaced by solar fairys, or will they be retrained

I think you might get battery fairies, but far more risky than siphoning a bit of diesel.

Well I think we have pretty much cracked this combining:
Solar power
Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems
Aero Propulsion Turbine System. (My own patented technology)
Some dodgy Batteries.

Jobs a good un.

Just spoke to Professor friend of mine who has confirmed my system is doable and is just like a propeller aircraft in reverse. So there…

It seems obvious that there’s more logic and practicality in alternative fuelled ICE powered vehicles ultimately in the form of Hydrogen,than EV’s.While the dash for EV’s seems to be more about lumbering the customer with a lower value less practical product,to create more profits for the manufacturers.Together with resulting over dependence on electricity and captive market for the expensive electricity suppliers in either case.

Dipper…does that mean your system will make trucks go backwards all the time…■■ sorry just asking…
Yes i can see local deliveries could be done with electric vehicles, albeit small ones…but depends if old harry the night watchman has plugged them in ready for the next day…or there are charging points along the way…just in case… i would like to see these happen in every town, and the large vehicles would pull into a hub to offload…close to every major town…for eg at the side of a motorway…these smaller vehicles will then deliver the carg instead of us…that where also the LGV electric can come in useful…they will transport ( driverless ) London to Birmingham or manchester the batteries will be recharged, whilst the trailer or two will be off loaded, and reloaded for the return…depots will be at the beginning of every motorway…where the small electric vehicles will feed them…thats a system i can see in the future…any faults please note them and keep them to yourself. :smiley: :smiley:

truckyboy:
Dipper…does that mean your system will make trucks go backwards all the time…■■ sorry just asking…

Only if they put the blades on the wrong way round, with a bit of luck it should ■■■■ most drivers off forwards.

muckles:

Rowley010:
Electric truck for a smaller rigid doing town/city centre multi drops within a 30 mile radius from the depot might not be far away.

To put it on a 44 tonner going up and down the country all week. I think they are a LONG way off making that happen.

This is true for the short term, but things change, I’m sure many train drivers in the 1920’s thought that trucks would only supply short distance transport from railhead to customer.

I personally think battery operated vehicles are only a short term thing, I’m pretty sure the transport of system in 50 to 100 years will be very different from what we know and from what many predict it will be.

in 50 to 100 years there wont be nothing here just ice the world is cleaning the ■■■■ out, and we happen to be the ■■■■ , so dont worry your selfs

Dipper_Dave:
Well I think we have pretty much cracked this combining:
Solar power
Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems
Aero Propulsion Turbine System. (My own patented technology)
Some dodgy Batteries.

Jobs a good un.

Just spoke to Professor friend of mine who has confirmed my system is doable and is just like a propeller aircraft in reverse. So there…

a friend of mine i met in a rdc is a Professor and he said he has never heard so much crap, he said aero propulsion turbine system was tested in 1874 and they recon it no better than ■■■■■■■ in a bucket

malcolmgbell:

muckles:

Rowley010:

in 50 to 100 years there wont be nothing here just ice the world is cleaning the [zb] out, and we happen to be the [zb] , so dont worry your selfs

In 50 to 100 years we won’t be here? I’d say 50 to 100 months. But then I’m an optimist. :wink:

Carryfast:
It seems obvious that there’s more logic and practicality in alternative fuelled ICE powered vehicles ultimately in the form of Hydrogen,than EV’s.While the dash for EV’s seems to be more about lumbering the customer with a lower value less practical product,to create more profits for the manufacturers.Together with resulting over dependence on electricity and captive market for the expensive electricity suppliers in either case.

I would agree that Hydrogen fuel cells make sense for commercials (It takes a ■■■■ load of energy to produce Hydrogen) but not for the consumer market. It’s simply not sustainable.
Micro generation will kill off Hydrogen fuel cell in consumer cars. In the last 4 weeks alone, my solar panels on the roof have produced 60Kwh of electricity in ■■■■ Scottish weather. That’s enough to fully charge a 28Kwh electric car battery twice from 0% to 100%. That’s 250 miles of range for a family car straight from the sun without the need to strip hydrogen, condense it, store it at high pressure and strap it behind the baby seat in the boot.

Residential battery systems like the Tesla powerwall 2 and vehicle to grid technology in electric cars will put the Hydrogen nonsense to bed shortly as the price continues to fall . These smart grids are just around the corner.

If you dabble in stocks & shares, get some money invested in Lithium mining :slight_smile:

slighty off thread but I drove a Scania with a 340hp engine run on cows ■■■■ and I never driven anything so gutless in my life, As I have driven trucks full time for over 30 yrs that’s saying something, 340 horses was super power at 38 tonnes when I first started

Electric trucks, gas trucks etc is going to be the thing we be driving in inner citys in years to come, we going to have to get use to it worse luck,
me being a scanny V8 fan :cry:

rabb:

Carryfast:

I would agree that Hydrogen fuel cells make sense for commercials (It takes a [zb] load of energy to produce Hydrogen) but not for the consumer market. It’s simply not sustainable.
Micro generation will kill off Hydrogen fuel cell in consumer cars. In the last 4 weeks alone, my solar panels on the roof have produced 60Kwh of electricity in [zb] Scottish weather. That’s enough to fully charge a 28Kwh electric car battery twice from 0% to 100%. That’s 250 miles of range for a family car straight from the sun without the need to strip hydrogen, condense it, store it at high pressure and strap it behind the baby seat in the boot.

Residential battery systems like the Tesla powerwall 2 and vehicle to grid technology in electric cars will put the Hydrogen nonsense to bed shortly as the price continues to fall . These smart grids are just around the corner.

If you dabble in stocks & shares, get some money invested in Lithium mining :slight_smile:

Firstly I wasn’t referring to fuel cell technology.I was referring to burning hydrogen directly in conventional ICE powered vehicles.

While assuming that we’re going for loads of electricity generation anyway to power EV’s.Then we might as well use it and put up with the downside of Hydrogen’s production inefficiencies for the upside of not having to drag loads of expensive batteries around the country in addition to all the other expensive,over priced and unreliable technology that goes with EV’s. :bulb: Also bearing in mind that using hydrogen would be a game changer in terms of ICE emissions.Also bearing in mind that conversion of existing diesel engines to spark ignition gas engines is already existing proven technology.On that note great let the market decide which it prefers between hydrogen fuelled ICE v your expensive and ultimately less efficient,not to mention ‘less fun factor’,battery powered EV nightmare.

While it seems clear that the EV agenda is mostly about the real or perceived profits for the manufacturers,in flogging battery powered toys at,or more than,a proper ICE powered vehicle price.In addition to the profit and tax potential of smart metered electricity supplies to fuel the things.Which is really what this EV propaganda agenda,based on the bs that other,better,alternatives,to meet the 2040 deadline,supposedly don’t already exist in the superior form of Hydrogen fuelled ICE,is all about. :unamused:

greencarcongress.com/2006/09 … nts_f.html

youtube.com/watch?v=Kx4F5JuCUuk

elsa Lad:
Electric trucks, gas trucks etc is going to be the thing we be driving in inner citys in years to come, we going to have to get use to it worse luck,
me being a scanny V8 fan :cry:

Why wouldn’t you prefer to get the V8 converted to spark ignition and then run it on hydrogen.Bearing in mind that actually meets the conditions of the 2040 deadline. :confused: