Tesla electric lorry launch 21st Nov

So I’ve been told…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Not to be…

Confused with ‘pick-up truck’ as they say over the pond?

Its the pick up, we already know about the truck

Still no known weight / range for the semi is there?
Big enough batteries to get anywhere usefully out of a town are still too heavy it seems.

Less than 10 years ago electric cars were trash and you would be lucky to get a 100mile range out of them. The 100 mile claim was from manufacturers so in perfect ideal conditions.

Now you can get with some electric cars 400 mile range.
Charge times have increased massively and instead of driving a tiny little leafblower these machines are super quick.

I was on the fence about electric cars for a long time but they are starting to win me over.
It seems more likely that charge time in the next 10 years will drop massively as some break through has happened recently that will allow batteries to fully charge in minutes without cell degradation.

Also electric cars will be so much easier to work on due to the lack of moving parts. When the budget electric bare bone cars start to come out I can see them lasting a heck of a long time.

switchlogic:
Its the pick up, we already know about the truck

Sorry - my bad.

All well and good. But we’re do you charge them up.
Motorways services hardly have any car chargers let alone truck ones.
And if they do how much charge do you reckon you could get in on a 45 min break?

I thought you launched boats, not lorrys! :stuck_out_tongue:

adam277:
Less than 10 years ago electric cars were trash and you would be lucky to get a 100mile range out of them. The 100 mile claim was from manufacturers so in perfect ideal conditions.

Charge times have increased massively and instead of driving a tiny little leafblower these machines are super quick.

I was on the fence about electric cars for a long time but they are starting to win me over.
It seems more likely that charge time in the next 10 years will drop massively as some break through has happened recently that will allow batteries to fully charge in minutes without cell degradation.

Also electric cars will be so much easier to work on due to the lack of moving parts. When the budget electric bare bone cars start to come out I can see them lasting a heck of a long time.

I doubt those who make all electric cars will be making them too last, building things to last isn’t the greatest busines plan in a consumerist society, although that might be good for the environment, apparently actually building a car produces the equivalent carbon as driving it for something like 5 years, (assuming average mileage and internal combustion engine)

As for the electric truck, that’s not really the issue, other manufacturers are well into developing thier own one, even some on sale, mostly for urban deliveries, and hybrid ones for longer distance work, it’s more the Tesla hype machine, loads of information to make the tesla fan boys ■■■■■■, like 0-60 times, but very little information relevant to the transport industry, like overall weight, payload etc, also I seem to recall that no transport industry journalist were invited to the launch, of what Teslsa said was the future of haulage.

As for battery technology, I’m still not sure if it’s a short term development, that’ll will get replaced by a far better technology.

adam277:

Yeah right alternators and starter motors always outlast the life of the engine.Also so cheap and easy to fix that no one ever buys a brand new replacement rather than rebuild.Make no mistake this agenda is all about profit for the EV and battery manufacturers and energy providers.

As for range/refuelling/cost equation check out the cost per KWH of domestic electricity then add road fuel duty and VAT to it,battery capacity in terms of Amp/Hours/KWH v charging time.As opposed to the cost and amount of energy contained in 1 gallon of petrol/diesel/LPG in terms of KWH and how long it takes to pump that into the tank.It’s obvious that LPG fuelled ICE gradually replacing diesel/petrol is the best all round compromise for the foreseeable future.