Tesla HGV First Test

Still not sure if the idea of electric trucks will catch on but it’s seems tesla is ready for test driving there’s already

electrek.co/2018/12/04/tesla-se … tomer/amp/

I think the biggest problem will be to get up to the standard that Scania and Volvo have set.
Which will not be easy and it has taken them a long time to do. I just can’t their first truck to be better then a Scania or Volvo straight off the bat.

Also you have the issue of Service centre coverage. All the big names have them all scattered throughout the country.
That will not be cheap for Tesla to do. Some Tesla car owners had to drive 500 miles for a service In the states. Even in this country if your not near London you can expect a 2 hour drive to get your car serviced depending where you live.

Anyone got figures for it’s tare weight yet?

Edit. Typo

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Pie in the sky nonsense.

I think for me its the batteries consumption how much juice will it eat when pulling fully loaded up a hill(will it be able to get up a hill) or park up for the night when a few drivers got there gaming pc`s hooked up :laughing:

I dont think it will catch on not in EU anyway maybe in U.S.

Can I use my kettle and microwave, my microwave
has a start up 1500w,my kettle 700w.dont want to wake up to flat battreys

Nobody’s mentioned MPG yet…

Assuming they can get over the problem of the energy storage v weight equation and re charging time of batteries v liquid fuels it’s obvious that the battery and electric suppliers and government tax revenue collectors will all take the ■■■■ out of their new found captive market more than the Arabs.On that note if it’s such a supposedly good option why the need for all the tax breaks.Obviously bait to get all the mugs on board an already long ago tried and failed method in that regard.

On that note why do we go to all the bother of domestic gas heating/boiler systems when all we need to do is switch on the electric immersion heater.Oh wait.

No mention of tare weight and range which suggests it’s still some way off been a serious contender for real life work

Drempels:
Nobody’s mentioned MPG yet…

As I understand it it gets 9 maybe 10 at a push

Dirty_Mascot:
I think for me its the batteries consumption how much juice will it eat when pulling fully loaded up a hill(will it be able to get up a hill) or park up for the night when a few drivers got there gaming pc`s hooked up [emoji38]

I dont think it will catch on not in EU anyway maybe in U.S.

The big trick is that coming down the other side of a hill it doesn’t use friction brakes, it recharges it’s batteries as it slows.

Edit to add.
And oil based fuel is cheaper in US than here. If they find it a good idea, why not here?
Dunno if solid batteries are good enough yet, but the writing is on the wall for oil.

Drempels:
Pie in the sky nonsense.

More or less what people have said about every big advance. Steam engines… Getting over 30mph will kill all the passengers. Flying machines… Never get off the ground. Personal computers… Who needs one?

Santa:

Drempels:
Pie in the sky nonsense.

More or less what people have said about every big advance. Steam engines… Getting over 30mph will kill all the passengers. Flying machines… Never get off the ground. Personal computers… Who needs one?

Gonna write a proper reply after I’ve got my jetpack off. Nightmare getting on the hyperloop with it on.

Think I’ll just let my truck drive itself tomorrow, I can’t be arsed with the moon-shuttle delivery, too many tourists these days.

Don’t worry dude, I’ll always believe in you.

Still not sure how much of a marketing gimmick the Tesla truck is, although no doubt many companies will have some for publicity purposes, after all they still haven’t released an unladen weight, but made loads of claims of its acceleration, not really what the industry are interested in, but makes the Tesla fan boys go all gooey. :laughing:
Despite the massive publicity Tesla aren’t the only company developing fully Electric trucks, others are including ■■■■■■■ and Mercedes.
However I think aiming the first truck at the long distance sector is a mistake, Mercedes have a large rigid being tested by various hauliers, they are aiming their all electric trucks at the urban distribution sector, they average fewer miles each day and stay close to base where most of the initial charging points will be, with the companies who make that investment in trucks also investing in charge points, there is also a lot of questions of how much power a fleet of fully electrics trucks will require to charge if all done together.
I think in the short term, long distance trucks are more than likely to be hybrids, with enough range to run on electric power in urban areas.

Off at a slight tangent…

Two years ago Volvo was going to have members of the public testing self-driving XC90s in London, in two years’ time.

Oh, what a surprise…two years later…no sign of them.

And in the USA, the OTTO self-driving truck programme has been parked up.

I don’t think anyone is going to take Tesla seriously until the payload is revealed. And there can be only one reason for keeping it secret.

Franglais:
Edit to add.
And oil based fuel is cheaper in US than here. If they find it a good idea, why not here?
Dunno if solid batteries are good enough yet, but the writing is on the wall for oil.

You do know that the US relies on cheaper coal fired Electricity and the fuel taxation regime accounts for the difference in fuel costs here.As the French rioters are proving.Assuming we apply UK road fuel taxation on a like for like basis to existing domestic electricity costs the maths will obviously look horrendous.As I said it would be a worse move than having your gas boiler taken out in favour of using the electric immersion heater.What could possibly go wrong.

As for the writing being on the wall for oil and gas yeah right the civil aviation industry is planning on conversion to electric planes if not shutting down.While every oil well is being shut down because CO2 is supposedly frying the planet if not running dry first.While I’d suggest the writing is already on the wall for electric with it just being a matter of time before France has it’s first and last nuclear plant or waste leak disaster which will make Chernobyl look like a small insignificant industrial accident.

IE Eco nutters who’d rather subject us to such an expense let alone risk on the basis of a hysterical ridiculous belief in the idea that there is a supposed link between CO2 and global atmospheric temperatures and when anyone challenges it on the basis of show us the mathematical link ( ratio between atmospheric CO2 level increase v temperature on a percentage basis ) then the fall back position that all the oil is supposedly running out.In which case great we’ll worry about that if/when it actually happens.

Santa:

Drempels:
Pie in the sky nonsense.

EV’s aren’t a ‘big advance’.They were there competing with ICE powered vehicles from day 1 and …rightly lost on the basis of natural selection.They are only there now for political reasons and why would anyone want to throw away proven technology in favour of failed inferior and more expensive to buy and run technology.All on the basis of politicians saying trust me this is the way to go because the oil is all running out and CO2 is frying the planet.

Carryfast:

Santa:

Drempels:
Pie in the sky nonsense.

EV’s aren’t a ‘big advance’.They were there competing with ICE powered vehicles from day 1 and …rightly lost on the basis of natural selection.They are only there now for political reasons and why would anyone want to throw away proven technology in favour of failed inferior and more expensive to buy and run technology.All on the basis of politicians saying trust me this is the way to go because the oil is all running out and CO2 is frying the planet.

Agreed. Again, it’s about control. If you disagree with their “green” agenda, you’re automatically killing the planet and everybody on it.

It’s a great wheeze to make subservient semi morons do exactly what you want them to from cradle to grave.

If you don’t think they exist, go to a warehouse in Milton Keynes or Corby :laughing:

Agree that most of the cost of oil based fuel here is tax. True.
And if taxes aren’t raised on diesel they will come from elsewhere. But who will voluntarily pay high tax on oils if there are lower taxes on other forms of energy. Taxes don’t have to be limited to transport.* (Although it currently feels like it!)

Denying climate change due to CO2 is like denying the link between cancer and smoking. Because 90yrs old Auntie Bessie smokes and hasn’t got cancer, and young Bob has got cancer doesn’t mean risks aren’t there.
Nuclear accidents are rare and hit the headlines, pollution is insidious and commonplace. Air crashes killing two or three make national headlines. Car crashes less so.
More people died on Piper Alpha than in the initial Chernobyl explosion. Deaths from pollution is ongoing with both nuclear and carbon fuels.

*edit to add: why is polluting aviation fuel so much cheaper than road fuels? “The polluter pays” isn’t working here.

Franglais:
Agree that most of the cost of oil based fuel here is tax. True.
And if taxes aren’t raised on diesel they will come from elsewhere. But who will voluntarily pay high tax on oils if there are lower taxes on other forms of energy. Taxes don’t have to be limited to transport.* (Although it currently feels like it!)

Denying climate change due to CO2 is like denying the link between cancer and smoking. Because 90yrs old Auntie Bessie smokes and hasn’t got cancer, and young Bob has got cancer doesn’t mean risks aren’t there.
Nuclear accidents are rare and hit the headlines, pollution is insidious and commonplace. Air crashes killing two or three make national headlines. Car crashes less so.
More people died on Piper Alpha than in the initial Chernobyl explosion. Deaths from pollution is ongoing with both nuclear and carbon fuels.

*edit to add: why is polluting aviation fuel so much cheaper than road fuels? “The polluter pays” isn’t working here.

You obviously conveniently missed the bit that if road fuel taxes are no longer there from diesel then they’ll just be put on electric instead.You can bet with some very hefty penalties for use of fraudulent untaxed electric charging for road use.While as it stands the whole EV agenda is just a tax avoidance scam to create a captive market which will then be milked by the electricity and battery providers and tax revenue raisers for all its worth.

As for eco loons preferring all the dangers of nuclear because of the bs CO2 theory I’d guess the real term is criminally insane.On that note like all believers you’ll obviously have no trouble in answering that question concerning a mathematical link ( ratio ) between atmospheric CO2 and atmospheric temperature.Oh wait you ain’t got one because it doesn’t exist.All you’ve got is a flawed bs theory put forward by a pot smoking hippy in the form of Carl Sagan who came up with the 2 of Venus’ atmospheric CO2 composition + the 2 of Venus’ atmospheric temperature must mean the 5 that its the CO2 that’s causing it.As opposed to being almost 30 million miles closer to the Sun and with a ground level atmospheric pressure of 90 times greater.Remind us why it’s colder at the top of Mont Blanc than in Chamonix ?.IE - 10 C and + 2 C today for example.Here’s a clue it’s got nothing to do with any comparative difference in CO2 levels between the two places.Just as Venus isn’t being cooked by the CO 2 composition of its atmosphere.