Taking Citalopram

Hello, i have been taking Citalopram, an anti-depressant for about three years.
I have my medical due and was wondering if this will affect my HGV licence.
Anyone else had experience of this and how it affects your licence.Thanks.

Hello…any medication will have to written down on the medical papers prior to sending them off to swansea.this will be done by your doctor during the examination…but dont worry…only iof they are a danger will they be entered…your doctor will put your mind at rest…but your not alone…the industry itself is depressing :laughing: :laughing:

You have a pm leslie.

your doctor will tell you when you go for the medical.personnelly if your taking an anti-depressant tablet then i think it will have an affect on you getting your lgv licence. :wink:

kitkat:

your doctor will tell you when you go for the medical.personnelly if your taking an anti-depressant tablet then i think it will have an affect on you getting your lgv licence. :wink:

you cheer him up m8 why dont you… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ohterry:

kitkat:

you cheer him up m8 why dont you… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well at least he’ll be happy now m8 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Leslie,

Your Doctor will obviously advise you best but if your interested in the write up with the Tabs try this link.

www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/s … sp?id=3360

Best wishes :smiley:

Good luck leslie g heath with the medical :smiley: .

I’m no expert, but if it’s of any help I do know of someone who took Citalopram and specifically asked his doctor about it’s potential effect on his licence when he was first prescribed.

Suffice to say that he was told that it was one of the few anti-depressants which do not cause a problem with DVLA, since there is no evidence that they cause dizziness or drowsiness - even in the 4 week “adjustment period” when you begin the course…in fact they are commonly prescribed to vocational drivers as an alternative to the more popular SSRIs ( modern type of anti-depressant for the uninformed - my mother suffered from severe depression for years, hence I am a mine of useless information on such things… :blush: ) for this very reason.

As I said, don’t take it as gospel - I’m no expert - but I wouldn’t panic too much either. :wink:

I beg to differ Lucy…information on such things is never useless!

Thanks to all of you, even Kit Kat, for taking the time to answer.
I did ask at the time i was prescribed these pills if it was ok to continue to drive and he said they were acceptable to DVLA.
It is just that sometimes doctors opinions differ.
I sometimes wonder if HGV driving makes me depressed as i find it so frustrating nowadays, must be i am getting older.
My medical is on Thursday so i will let you know how i get on.
PS Special thanks to Daxi for message.

Taking these pills WILL NOT affect your licence renewal at all.

All.

Hello again, just had my medical done by a doctor recommended to me by an agency.I told him about the Citalopram and he noted it on the medical form and said it would not be a problem.
Thanks again to everyone for answering.

That’s excellent news for you leslie g heath :smiley: .

Good stuff Leslie, nice to know you are Ok :laughing:

Apparently all vocational licence holders are to be supplied with this drug.

It will make all the depressed drivers smile for all the security cameras :stuck_out_tongue:

My licence renewal has turned into a bit of a saga.I have just been informed that my licence will only be renewed for ONE year and then will be subject to further review.Trust this information may be of some help to any one taking citalopram.Regards Leslie G Heath

Not exactly the result you had hoped for perhaps :frowning: , but it could have been worse.

Best wishes Leslie :smiley:

Yep could have been worse, however dont know what it will do to you having the stress of possibly loosing your licence every year :open_mouth: