T&D NEEDS Post One: Were you around when RDCs first started?

Remember early 90’s delivering to Netto’s RDC at South Elmsall ,Doncaster when on for traction pulling for Ferrymasters. Delivery time was always on notes 12pm, get there and find usually 20 or so lorries parked up waiting, as they used to do all their trailers before the general public were let in! Then when you eventually got backed onto bay opened up back and then asked have you operated a battery pallet trolley if no then a quick point to buttons, if yes then crack on and unload driver!
Straight away i thought well that’s one of the ways that these low cost chains are keeping costs down getting us to do their work. You would often see Kellogg’s drawbar units in there but their drivers didn’t unload their units, as Kellogg’s had told supermarket if you want our good’s then you unload them, which is what it should be.

Sainsbury’s Hackbridge,. Trying to reverse in the dark between the post…

I started on MFS Littlewoods in 77 and we used to do Basingstoke Gosport and Portsmouth from Hitchin then reload at Mr Kiplings Eastleigh back to Hitchin.
The load then went on to Maltby and reloaded back to Hitchen. We covered all the stores in the south from there.

eric the judge:
I started on MFS Littlewoods in 77 and we used to do Basingstoke Gosport and Portsmouth from Hitchin then reload at Mr Kiplings Eastleigh back to Hitchin.
The load then went on to Maltby and reloaded back to Hitchen. We covered all the stores in the south from there.

Hi Eric.
Can you remember the name of the Basingstoke based driver that Maltby changed over with at Oxford? I can’t remember why MFS set him on when you did that run mentioned above. How are you by the way?

The change over at Oxford finished before i started for MFS Chris,my first week on nights was Basingstoke etc. Took me ages to find the loading bay at Basingstoke.
Im not too bad mate a few medical issues but hey we are all getting on a bit.
Hope you are OK and have a good Christmas. All the best Eric.