Stage Truck

Does anyone have any recent experience of working for these? I’ve had a search but can’t find any up to date information, I found an old post that suggested some offensive pay rates but I’m sure things have moved on from there, I don’t mind a drop in money for interesting work but nothing’s as interesting as that! I know it’s weeks away at a time and I know it’s container work when they’re quiet, that’s all I have found!

Talk to Radar19: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=107715

mrginge:

Thanks

mrginge:

Just checked and Radar19 has not visited here since May. Does anyone have another way to contact him or other info? Thanks

Why not ring them & ask ?

I know someone who works for TransAm which I imagine is pretty much the same. The day rate is poor but with it being paid seven days a week, and with the extras for “clicking” or working spotlights or selling programmes and T-shirts he takes home around £900 a week when he’s away on tour. And all the catering is laid on too.

It’s odd hours though, setting off at 0100 or later after a gig and doing a two or even a three man drive to the next venue. At the end of a tour he always looks grey, bloated and exhausted. I think it’s probably a good job for someone in their 20s who wants to live the lifestyle and I wouldn’t have minded doing it back in the day but it wouldn’t be for me now.

Harry Monk:
I know someone who works for TransAm which I imagine is pretty much the same. The day rate is poor but with it being paid seven days a week, and with the extras for “clicking” or working spotlights or selling programmes and T-shirts he takes home around £900 a week when he’s away on tour. And all the catering is laid on too.

It’s odd hours though, setting off at 0100 or later after a gig and doing a two or even a three man drive to the next venue. At the end of a tour he always looks grey, bloated and exhausted. I think it’s probably a good job for someone in their 20s who wants to live the lifestyle and I wouldn’t have minded doing it back in the day but it wouldn’t be for me now.

Given the choice between waiting on a metal chair in Tesco or doing that… I’d do it every day of the week. Sounds like interesting and fun work. A bit like the army… rubbish money on paper but you go on tour and come back to loads in the bank, and some weird/great memories and experiences.

All the R&R co’s have their quirks.

Best thing to do is try it but be warned , there is no such thing as a day off for a wedding , birthday , stag night etc .

You are on the tour or not.

A WARD:
Why not ring them & ask ?

Because the phone is unlikely to be answered by someone who drives for them and will tell it like it really is.

Thanks for the responses chaps, I’ve been thinking about it all week and as much as some of it appeals I don’t think it’s for me.

Try watching Mat Ireland videos on YouTube. He is a member of this forum as well.

Les Shoes:
Thanks for the responses chaps, I’ve been thinking about it all week and as much as some of it appeals I don’t think it’s for me.

Probably for the best too many wannabe gods of rock n Roll as it is !!!
BTW its STAGETRUCK ONE WORD

If you fancy this type pf work then why not try Paul Mathew?

We are hiring at the moment

sammym:

Harry Monk:

Given the choice between waiting on a metal chair in Tesco or doing that… I’d do it every day of the week. Sounds like interesting and fun work. A bit like the army… rubbish money on paper but you go on tour and come back to loads in the bank, and some weird/great memories and experiences.

There you go paul matthew has Jobs

What’s the pay and working life like at Paul Matthews?

See plenty of trailers parked in services throughout the week.

Used to tour the country with bands and acts 12 years ago, and it’s something I regret giving up.

we work mainly at weekends theatre shows move on Saturday

So my week is as follows in on Friday, mess around move trailers here and there

Get to theatre location early Saturday morning and book off and have 11 hours off. start around 10pm loading trailers and then take a trailer to a location. rest of Sunday off. We have 32 units and 150 trailers

Monday start moving trailers into position for load in to theatres,

Tuesday more of the same and Wednesday head back to base.

I am not prepared to discuss wages openly but if you wish to private message me you can

glabrate:
we work mainly at weekends theatre shows move on Saturday

So my week is as follows in on Friday, mess around move trailers here and there

Get to theatre location early Saturday morning and book off and have 11 hours off. start around 10pm loading trailers and then take a trailer to a location. rest of Sunday off. We have 32 units and 150 trailers

Monday start moving trailers into position for load in to theatres,

Tuesday more of the same and Wednesday head back to base.

I am not prepared to discuss wages openly but if you wish to private message me you can

Sounds similar to Stage Freight based in Leeds. They do theatre work in UK and Europe. Salary was around £30,000

It is more than that

i did about a year for paul mathew, job is ok, plenty of london, occasional europe, but
that mostly goes to a select few.
good points
next to no manual work, aside from tying (no ratchet straps) bits in to the trailers. you will be shown how to do this, it doesn’t take long to get the hang of it, then you can take your new found skill home to the bedroom with the wife!
you’ll put in plenty of miles in a week, plymouth to aberdeen and any where in between.
parking and truck wash accounts.
showers available at pretty much every theatre when you visit them.
drivers there are very very helpful to each other with regards to advice.
show crews work their nuts off and have a good laugh with it.
you’ll be able to blindside a 45ft mega into a parking space no bigger than a postage stamp
trucks are replaced at 4 years old, all DAF XF 460/480.

bad points
crawling under low ride trailers in p1ss soaked lay-bys and services to put locks on the pin
knowing where to leave trailers and more importantly where to find them, they are left anywhere. literally anywhere.
expect to go into central london a bit, even more so if you screw things up and upset the apple cart. saturday night moves are planned weeks in advance.
when you book off on a saturday outside a theatre it will be noisy, especially in the town
or city centre ones.

ArcticMonkey:
Sounds similar to Stage Freight based in Leeds. They do theatre work in UK and Europe. Salary was around £30,000

Mate of mine works there and has been all over with them.

Ken.