South Yorkshire Companies

Chris Webb:
There was a company in Barnsley called The Star Paper Company I think? Did they have their own transport,I think they were blue wagons…

And does anybody remember a firm called Kenworthy from Barnsley,they had a Albion Reiver in SPT Templeborough and it had an alloy body so couldn’t carry coils stood up.I used to see driver regular when I worked for Prestons in Sheffield.

Chris, it was indeed the Star Paper Mills, they also had a works in Blackburn. They were by the side of the canal down Old Mill Lane, just below the junction with Eldon Street North - it’s where the Asda is now. The works closed in the early 1980s. I don’t think they had their own transport, at least in later years. If I’m right, I think it was Duncan Sharp who did most of their work. I remember the Kenworthy name, but not what they ran, or who for. There were a lot of small contractors and one-man-bands around back then.
Another firm I’d like to know more about was Taylor’s Transport from Hoyland Common. I found this picture of one of theirs in a Seddon brochure:-

fodenway:

Chris Webb:
There was a company in Barnsley called The Star Paper Company I think? Did they have their own transport,I think they were blue wagons…

And does anybody remember a firm called Kenworthy from Barnsley,they had a Albion Reiver in SPT Templeborough and it had an alloy body so couldn’t carry coils stood up.I used to see driver regular when I worked for Prestons in Sheffield.

Chris, it was indeed the Star Paper Mills, they also had a works in Blackburn. They were by the side of the canal down Old Mill Lane, just below the junction with Eldon Street North - it’s where the Asda is now. The works closed in the early 1980s. I don’t think they had their own transport, at least in later years. If I’m right, I think it was Duncan Sharp who did most of their work. I remember the Kenworthy name, but not what they ran, or who for. There were a lot of small contractors and one-man-bands around back then.
Another firm I’d like to know more about was Taylor’s Transport from Hoyland Common. I found this picture of one of theirs in a Seddon brochure:-

Thanks for that info Fodenway,I remember that paper mill and also Sharps who ran red Atki Borderers and didn’t hang about. :smiley:
I only ever saw one Kenworthy wagon,the one I mentioned,and I don’t know owt about Taylors from Hoyland Common. Do you remember Ryecroft Transport who sold out to Welches at Stapleford,I think they were at Hoyland Common,that’s going back a few years. :laughing: :laughing:

I think my memory’s playing up, I was thinking that Sharps had pale blue Atkis working out of a yard up Wakefield Road in Barnsley in the 70’s, or am I getting mixed up with Cutts? Getting old can be a bit confusing sometimes.

fodenway:
I think my memory’s playing up, I was thinking that Sharps had pale blue Atkis working out of a yard up Wakefield Road in Barnsley in the 70’s, or am I getting mixed up with Cutts? Getting old can be a bit confusing sometimes.

I’m sure Duncan Sharp’s were red and Cutt’s were red and white.Could well be wrong though,as usual. :smiley:

Sharps were red with a white stripe round the cab,
and the first time I came across them they were on the old Warncliffe colliery site, off Shaw lane
using the old pit buildings as offices before building the big shed on the Carlton estate

Yes, you’re right about Sharps, and Cutts were also red and white with the name on a pale blue band below the windows - so whose were the light blue Atkis from the yard between Building Materials (Barnsley) and Paul Sykes (now Stagecoach) on Wakey Road?

fodenway:
Yes, you’re right about Sharps, and Cutts were also red and white with the name on a pale blue band below the windows - so whose were the light blue Atkis from the yard between Building Materials (Barnsley) and Paul Sykes (now Stagecoach) on Wakey Road?

Was it Thompsons Fodenway,they ran blue wagons I think,into fridge work,but not sure if they ran Atkis.I havna been up Wakefield Road since 1980. :smiley:
Or was it a tipper firm,like Butterfields maybe?

If I remember right (and I probably don’t), they were Atki tractors mainly with flats, which made me think they pulled from the paper mill. I’ll ask a couple of the lads next time I see them, maybe I’m dafter than I thought.

Chris Webb » Friday,4th March,2011 2:36 pm
QUOTE:A Hanson Atkinson in Barnsley.Peter Davies photo.UNQUOTE.

FodenWay » Saturday,5th March,2011 12:44 PM
QUOTE:
Hi, Nice to see another Barnsley lad online!
Regarding the “Hanson in Barnsley” shot from Peter Davies, it’s not actually in Barnsley at all! I’ve studied the photo in his book, and there are definitely trolleybus wires overhead, so it could either be Bradford, Huddersfield or Rotherham (if it is in Yorkshire) as Barnsley never had trolleys.
UNQUOTE.

Coca Cola Kid » Saturday,5th March,2011 12:47 pm
QUOTE:Regarding the “Hanson in Barnsley” shot from Peter Davies, it’s not actually in Barnsley at all! I’ve studied the photo in his book, and there are definitely trolleybus wires overhead, so it could either be Bradford, Huddersfield or Rotherham (if it is in Yorkshire) as Barnsley never had trolleys.

It looks to me very much like the junction at the top of Corporation St with High St, Ship Hill & Westgate in Rotherham
Cheers Mel UNQUOTE.

Ramone » Wednesday,9th August,2017 10:35 am
QUOTE: Anyone remember Earls Transport in Sheffield , green motors? UNQUOTE.

Revman » Friday,11th August,2017 12:10 am
QUOTE:
Ye Robert Earls Sheffield ran a mixed fleet but mostly Leyland including a couple of Marathons,some pics on old lost hauliers facebook page
UNQUOTE.

Chris Webb » Monday,4th June,2018 5:57 pm
QUOTE:Thanks for that info FodenWay,I remember that paper mill and also Sharps who ran red Atkinson Borderers and didn’t hang about. :smiley:
I only ever saw one Kenworthy lorry,the one I mentioned,and I don’t know owt about Taylors from Hoyland Common. Do you remember Ryecroft Transport who sold out to Welches at Stapleford,I think they were at Hoyland Common,that’s going back a few years. :laughing: :laughing: UNQUOTE.

TruckNetUK. Old Time Lorries. South Yorkshire Companies. Pages 1 & 2. Wednesday,6th June,2018. VALKYRIE. Replies:-

#Atkinson
Atkinson S2486X of R.Hanson in ‘Barnsley’ town centre,photographed by Peter Davies.

I myself am quite familiar with the Barnsley area,and have done a reconnaissance job on the above photograph,which is published on page
90 in the Yorkshire Traffic Area chapter of the following book: British Trucks At Work In The Sixties,Peter Davies,Roundoak Publishing,
1988,re-published in 2002.A photograph of a red Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik Rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry,959 FLR,London,1963,R.Holder & Sons Ltd,
followed by a yellow AEC Mammoth Major Eight MkIII Rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry of Trowbridge,Sheffield,is on the front cover,QV below.

I came to the conclusion,like FodenWay and Coca Cola Kid, that the Atkinson wasn’t photographed in Barnsley,the most likely location was
in Rotherham…but there was only one way to find out exactly where this Hanson Atkinson lorry was photographed: Ask the man himself! :exclamation: :smiley:

Came the Trans Pennine Run 2005,on the Oatlands Stray,Harrogate,and EUREKA! :exclamation: :slight_smile: I met Peter Davies,who was in his photograph sales tent :slight_smile:

So I asked Peter Davies and asked him to check where he photographed this Atkinson of R.Hanson - Peter did stay in Barnsley with friends and/or
relatives from time to time by the way. Peter did indeed check the location and discovered it was DERBY! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
By his own admission,at the time that he was writing the above book,he couldn’t be bothered to check the location,so he therefore presumed
he had photographed the Atkinson at his second home:Barnsley :slight_smile:
Just for the record,Derby did indeed operate trolleybuses from 1932 to 1967 - hence the trolleybus overhead electric power wires in the photograph :slight_smile:

Atkinson S2486X,Mk1-Cabbed,Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel Oil-Engined,Tipper-Bodied,8x4 Lorry,BYG 405B,West Riding Yorkshire,1964,R.Hanson & Son Ltd,Wakefield,photographed by Peter Davies in Derby!. 1#

British Trucks At Work In The Sixties,Peter Davies,Roundoak,1988.Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik R8 Lorry,959 FLR,London,1963,R.Holder & Sons Ltd & AEC Mammoth Major Eight MkIII,Trowbridge,Sheffield,on the front cover.1#

You mention some other Yorkshire road haulage companies:-

Rodwell,Wombell.Maroon livery,their depot was,I think, Wood Walk-Hough Lane,near the railway station,on the righthand side going towards
Wombwell.They operated AEC and Dodge lorries,and had at least one AEC Mustang 6x2 Twin Steer Chinese Six Lorry.

Ryecroft,Hoyland Common.Dark green and light green livery,their depot was next to a motor garage and petrol station on the lefthand side
of the Turnpike-Sheffield Road going toward,and very near to,Allotts Corner. Some of their lorries included Albion Caledonian rigid eight-wheelers,
tippers and flats.
This depot has always had a road transport connection ever since I can remember. I once saw a 1940s or 1950s blue Scammell,Normal Control,
4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle,with Henfreys written on the side,parked outside the depot one weekend.

Welch’s used this depot in the 1970s,then it was used for storage of mainly double decker buses,usually painted green,waiting to be broken up by the Blacker Hill-based,later Birdwell-based,commercial vehicle breaker,Alan Finlay - Hartwood Exports…this must have been in the late 1970s. From the early 1980s the depot has been used by Armitage Transport to date. They operated ERF C-Series,DAF 3300,3600 ATI,DAF XF95-Series,Leyland Roadtrain lorries,and all were in a beautiful dark blue,with yellow,red and white relief,livery.

I kept a close eye on Armitage Transport at one time :slight_smile: The last time I saw Armitage lorries they were Iveco Stralis’s - in dealer white livery :unamused:…but that was in early 2016.And now currently I’m personally generally out of touch with the Barnsley area…have been for years.

The field next to the depot plays host to the annual early July Hoyland Common Feast operated by Tuby’s Funfairs :smiley: In fact I’ve just discovered
that part of the Armitage Transport address is Fairfield Garage! :exclamation: :slight_smile:

There are three other road haulage companies in the Hoyland-Hoyland Common area that I recall:-

Colin Vaines,Birdwell,opposite the former National Coal Board Workshops,which is where Alan Finlay-Hartwood Exports took up residence :slight_smile:
Colin Vaines operated MAN tipper R8 lorries in a overall dark blue,with light blue relief,livery.

Don Mellor,Tinker Lane Foot,Hoyland Common.Green,with red and white relief,livery.Has operated numerous marques and models of heavyweight
lorry over the years,including an Atkinson T746X,Mk1-Cabbed,4x2-4 Articulated Lorry and an ERF C-Series 6x2 Twin Steer Articulated Lorry.

Chas Braham,Hoyland and Chapeltown.Red livery.Operates tipper lorries,and in the mid 1970s operated a Leyland Bison 6x4,a Atkinson
Defender 8x4,a ERF LV 68 8x4 and a Foden S80 8XB6/30 8x4,all were kept in immaculate condition.

Kenworthy. The only Kenworthy that I recall was:-

Kenworthy,Chapeltown,Sheffield,and might have traded as Kenworthy Brothers? :question: Anyway,George and Leonard Kenworthy operated motorcoaches
and lorries.The livery was red for their Bedford A-Type,D-Type and TJ lorries and red and cream for their Bedford motorcoaches:at least one
Bedford SB,Petrol-Engined/Harrington Crusader Motorcoach,and at least one Bedford SB1 or SB5,Diesel-Oil Engined/Duple Bella Vega Motorcoach.

Earls Transport,and also Talbot Transport,both in Sheffield and both used green liveries ? :question: and eventually merged. I seem to recall that
Earls and Talbot operated some late 1950s-early 1960s Thornycroft rigid six and rigid eight-wheeler lorries,i.e. Thornycroft Mastiff 6-wheelers
and Thornycroft Trusty 8-wheelers :slight_smile: I think these might have had the standard Thornycroft GRP cab,with panoramic windscreens and silver-
coloured and attractive Thornycroft radiator grille.

I’ve just come across the following Sheffield Forums website forum and is devoted to road transport:-

sheffieldforum.co.uk/showth … p?t=199458

I bet there is a lot of information and photographs on this website :slight_smile:

I do of course remember other road haulage operators in the Yorkshire area :slight_smile: And I’ve also got very happy memories of related Yorkshire transport
subjects,including Alan Finlay-Hartwood Exports,Paul Sykes Organisation-PSO,Pickfords Heavy Haulage,Fairground Transport,etc :slight_smile:

VALKYRIE

Chris Webb:

fodenway:

Was it Thompsons Fodenway,they ran blue wagons I think,into fridge work,but not sure if they ran Atkis.I havna been up Wakefield Road since 1980. :smiley:
Or was it a tipper firm,like Butterfields maybe?

Hi definitely not Thompson’s we run out of Grimethorpe never ran Atkis we had Guy AEC and then onto continentals we did flat work in early days the 1970s then moved onto fridge work and continental tilt work I 80s still running fridges today hope this helps

I think but not sure the light blue atkinsons your talking about were star paper as previously mentioned earlier in thread

Ey Up SHYTOT, I discovered Trucknet in 2015, but it was only yesterday that I found the “South Yorkshire” thread.
I drove for Robert Baillie of Portsmouth for 3 years in the early 1970s, based at their Wigan depot. Baillies also
had a depot at Chappelle Drive in Doncaster, near the fruit market and abbatoir. Their office and small yard were
next to a Butchers Equipment supplier, Knives, Aprons, Chopping Blocks etc. The picture of the Robert Baillie
Atkinson Borderer on the motorway has “SHYTOT” in the windscreen, is that yourself ? or are there many “SHYTOTS” ?
The Robert Baillie drivers that I can remember from Doncaster depot were Colin Brooks and ■■■■ Brown.
Sharps of Barnsley had a small operation in Wigan for a while, based in the Robert Baillie yard at Wigan.
Connals Transport of Maryhill, Glasgow also occupied part of the yard for their trunk and shunt operation. Regards, Ray Smyth.

POA 509M.jpg

Scan%204.jpg

SHYTOT:
I think but not sure the light blue atkinsons your talking about were star paper as previously mentioned earlier in thread

i had a word with one of my old mates this morning, he seems to think the light blue Atkis belonged to a firm called A.N. Davies (or Davis), and it does seem to ring a bell. Can anybody confirm?

A well known name in transport around Sheffield, and a Wagon built at Tinsley by Sheffield-Simplex, the Shefflex six wheeler.

fodenway:

SHYTOT:

i had a word with one of my old mates this morning, he seems to think the light blue Atkis belonged to a firm called A.N. Davies (or Davis), and it does seem to ring a bell. Can anybody confirm?

That sounds about right and I think they worked for star paper

SHYTOT:

fodenway:

SHYTOT:

That name Davies rings a loud bell,the Atkis were light blue as mentioned with a gold star ont front both sides I think and the Davies or Davis name somewhere,maybe on doors?

someone somewhere must have a photo of one

SHYTOT:

fodenway:

SHYTOT:

The legend in the Blackburn area was that the work of Star Paper’s plants in Barnsley and Blackburn, and then carried by Holden & Davis, was to be split with each party looking after one mill. The story goes that, on the toss of a coin, Md Davies moved to Barnsley to deal with that traffic with a fleet in his own right, whilst Wilfred Holden Limited in Darwen remained at home with the Blackburn traffic.

I don’t doubt that the tale has been somewhat embellished over the years but, nevertheless, Holden & Davis went their separate ways and Davis ended up in Barnsley.

Are these the ones A & N Davies. Les.

imagesBD5HKOUP.jpg
imagesL0UBD2JY.jpg
imagesYVSRA2ZJ.jpg

Yes, they are the ones I was remembering, thanks for confirming that. I’ll sleep better tonight…