South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Mark,you and your Ford Cargo’s!
You are correct Alan Price did run 6 wheel cargo’s,with the Michelin men.This was carried over from the days they fitted them to their 8 wheel Deutz’s,which also had air horns.
I was working there when the first cargo came on a Y plate,with a V6 air cooled Deutz.An alloy body was transferred off a D series Ford and she was put to work, running shale from Merthyr Vale to Dowlais top,then running over to Vaynor quarry for roadstone used on the A470 by-pass.It had a payload of 17+ tonne, and did loook the part.I believe after the miners strike a batch of 4 were added replacing 3 D series Fords,and the last 2 road going Dodges.
I never did get to drive one,as shortly after the first one arrived I moved to London,but a few of my friends had them and spoke highly of them. The D series was always a comfortable cab with good visability,mine had a two speed eaton rear axle, and would out pull those with the roadranger 4+4 box, my only negative point would be tfhe brakes or lack of.
Needless to say the cargo became a legend in its own right. Here in the States,you will find them under the Ford,Sterling and Freightliner badge. They never brought the Euro-Cargo over,and with Mercedes Benz closing their Sterling plant the cargo is due to be retired.
Sorry but I don’t have any pics
Paul

Hi paul,

Thanks very much for your reply and the interseting info it contained.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Cargo and the earlier D series as my dad was involved with them for a while.

Cheers
Mark

Suedehead:
Glyn John Transport ? cant remember exactly where they were from - used to run a few Transcons - late 70s.

Also Blue Line from Tondu ? (spelling)

Glyn John were based near Pontypridd and owned by Liners who made products from gelatine. They bought Ely Transport who were based at Culverhouse Cross at the top of Cardiff (now a big roundabout with BnQ on it).
Glyn John ran Seddon Atkis, Ely had Volvos, F86 and F88s a few Ford Transcontis and old AECs. In the 90s they moved to the Docks and had Ivecos and Mercs. then bought by a Manchester group BFI, who also bought Febrys, Prices amongst others and them closed the lot of them.
Blue Line tan Atkinsin Borderers out of Margam steel works.

My father drove for Ely Transport and had in the 60s/7 a mk 5 AEC, CUH @@@B. I went with him several times as a boy, it was a flying machine and could keep up with Scanias which were just coming in then.
About 20 yearslater I was driving from seeing a customer in Llanelli and what do I see going up the long bank on the M48 with a coil on....the same wagon in Prosser colours, at least 30 yearsold!
Prosser at Pontllew used to run old AECs between the tin plate works around LLanelli (Treostre) My dad tell me they used to buy all the old AECs from Ely and Prices and then run them for another 20 years!

Hi Pete,
Here it is,if you want to revive it,or if you wish,start another.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave, I was thinking exactly the same, hopefuly Pete will add to this thread, and include companies that have survived through good and bad times and are still trading today. Hopefuly, we will see some family business names now run by sons and grandsons.( or daughters )

Cheers from sunny Florida Paul

thanks for that,it’s so sad to see what little is left of the once thriving south wales haulage industry/companies.the only really large one now are owens,they recently moved out of what was joint motorways yard on the docks at port talbot,joints where located there for around 30 years.both my father and i drove for them and painted their fleet.john raymond another large (though not as big as they were)welsh firm seemed to have survived with rockwool,tesco and other contracts.both raymond’s brothers used to be in haulage,argosy and vale transport respectivley.blue line became carline then stiller bought them and they have now all but disapeared off the south wales radar.it’s difficult to explain without boring you all ( i hope i am not) the importance of “the abbey” steelworks at margam to all of these and the many more firms that relied on the steel traffic,to give you some idea joint motorways (just them) used to tip well over 100 loads of steel everyday from “the abbey”,the dozens of others would do at least the same.now what bulk tonnage does leave is delivered to roundoak in the midlands by rail,the rest is auctioned off on-line to the lowest bidder.sorry to be negative.that’s the problem with the truth,it hurts.

Hi Pete,
Quite agree its sad to see all those transport firms gone,its pretty much the same all over the country. Around this way Roberts of Knighton ( Atkidave has a thread on here about them ) are no more,just over the border in Shropshire Lloyds of Ludlow are only running a couple, D & N Morgan from Craven Arms finished years ago,Swains of Stretton finished,but Steve Swain runs several from Shrewsbury under the same colours.
Keep them coming Pete,I used to see all those firms you mentioned,be nice to her a bit more about them.
Cheers Dave.

Oops, it looks as if pete 359 is no other than Andrew Cooper. If you can revive this or any site Andrew I am
sure it will give myself, Dave and many others some good reading.

Good luck Paul

hi paul,yes that’s me.i thought pete 359 was suitable as that’s the truck i have now,am trying to get to grips with photobucket and load some images.hope i havn’t strayed of the thread?have plent of images to share,will start with some older one’s (when i figure it all out)
regards

Hi Andrew,
If you look at the top of the page ROG has put some helpful info about posting pics,sorry if I’m telling you something you already know,thats how I learn’t.
Cheers Dave.

There seems to be probably the most famous South Wales haulage company missing on this page Robert Wynns of Newport who did general haulage and tank haulage as well as heavy haulage.

cheers
Johnnie :unamused:

sammyopisite:
There seems to be probably the most famous South Wales haulage company missing on this page Robert Wynns of Newport who did general haulage and tank haulage as well as heavy haulage.

cheers
Johnnie :unamused:

have got loads of wynns pics will post when i get them scanned…

Dave the Renegade:
Does anyone remember the south wales hauliers, such as Entress, Morfa Transport, Blue Line, Slver Roadways etc

C’mon Dave youv’e missed out the two best firms ---- Gwynne Bowen and Trevor Phillips !!! and you claiming to be a good Welshman and Plaid Cymry supporter !!!

Bewick, You need to read the thread again,or see an optician.
Cheers Dave.

Here you are Bewick,sorry its not in colour.

Dave the Renegade:
Bewick, You need to read the thread again,or see an optician.
Cheers Dave.

Well Dave Silver Roadways belonged to Tate and Lyle I do know ! But if I was to follow some of these threads to their logical conclusion I would end up where theSun don’t shine !!!

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:
Does anyone remember the south wales hauliers, such as Entress, Morfa Transport, Blue Line, Slver Roadways etc

C’mon Dave youv’e missed out the two best firms ---- Gwynne Bowen and Trevor Phillips !!! and you claiming to be a good Welshman and Plaid Cymry supporter !!!

Nay,Philip Jones from Fforestfach,W.G.Davies from Morriston,S.Protheroe from Swansea,Rosser from Pontillw they were all good owd South Welsh hauliers and we’ve only just scratched the surface.Valley Carriers Penarth,Ely Transport Cardiff,Griff Fender Swansea,George Beer Swansea,South Wales Roadways,Nationwide Cardiff,Williams Brothers Crosshands,H.Morgan Cwm ---------------------------------I’m off to bed. :laughing:
Can’t say goodneet in Welsh,help me out Dave :smiley:

I have a nice print of a Silver Roadways Foden,coming by the walls at Newnham on the A48,done by Alan Spillett.

ah yes you are right,wynns were a big player,though you must remember that they disapeared nearly 30 years ago.someone once told me that brs in wales during the 60’s had the highest concentration of 8 wheelers compered to anywhere else in the u.k.[album][album].this was a 1974 erf that i owned in 1996,we restored it into joint motorways livery,as they owned it new.the picture was taken in a rainy fort william in 1999.