South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

smallcoal:

Paul John:
Hi all. John, thanks for posting photo’s from Porthcawl. Seemed to be a good turnout, especially from Hick’s. Someone may want to tell Neil (mechanic77) its summer, and Porthcawl is a seaside resort!
We have dried out here, back to hot, hot humid weather today.
Moving house this weekend, should of hired yourself, Mark and Jakey.

Take it easy, Paul

Hi mate no probs weather on and off here but didn’t put the dampeners on things yes a good turn out ,me mark and jakey would have found an old Bedford and made the trip :laughing: hope the move goes well take it easy and bend your knees :laughing: :laughing:

Nice pics John, like the 2 old Atkinsons and Hicks DAF 2800. Those DAF’s seem to be fairly rare compared to some of the other
popular models that were around at the same time. Theres loads more Volvo F88’s,Scania 111 etc. Dont know why there are not
more DAF 2800,3300 and 3600’s as they were a popular truck. :unamused: :wink:

Cardiff Transport 1986.

Click on page once.

wales cardiff 1986 p.PNG

DEANB:
Cardiff Transport 1986.

Click on page once.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the article,Cardiff Transport were the ideal choice to test any truck brand imo.Another fantastic time at The Porthcawl Truck Gathering,despite some awful weather.Heres a few of some stunning trucks present.

BB29CA08-F7D0-4431-B5F6-BB0321AA6B0A.jpeg

8942B3FB-0E5F-4ED2-B618-047F17076D23.jpeg

724A8CBD-5ABA-4B43-9976-645544324787.jpeg

FF874CA4-4D12-4146-8470-FAA772AF4B65.jpeg

71E2A453-707D-43FF-AFFF-9B1DBBF01B96.jpeg

Bridgend based Bristol.
No doubt Wally Beer and Curly Bill would have drove this lorry .

DEANB:
Cardiff Transport 1986.

Click on page once.

2 years old and over 483,000 miles on them, was that just what the day man had clocked up?! And at high motorway speeds :smiley:

pete 359:

DEANB:
Cardiff Transport 1986.

Click on page once.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the article,Cardiff Transport were the ideal choice to test any truck brand imo.Another fantastic time at The Porthcawl Truck Gathering,despite some awful weather.Heres a few of some stunning trucks present.

Glad a good weekend was had by all, excellent turnout. Seeing Dai’s Catnic Scania brings back many happy memories of being parked next to one on a Monday night at Birtley town, behind Kwik Save, cross the road to the snooker hall and a few drinks with the one and only Echo one, and again on a Tuesday night at Leigh lorry park near the Tennis club for a night out at Fletchers night club and an Indian takeaway on the way back! Good days, sadly missed :frowning:

vanman99:

pete 359:

DEANB:
Cardiff Transport 1986.

Click on page once.

Hi Dean,

Glad a good weekend was had by all, excellent turnout. Seeing Dai’s Catnic Scania brings back many happy memories of being parked next to one on a Monday night at Birtley town, behind Kwik Save, cross the road to the snooker hall and a few drinks with the one and only Echo one, and again on a Tuesday night at Leigh lorry park near the Tennis club for a night out at Fletchers night club and an Indian takeaway on the way back! Good days, sadly missed :frowning:

HI Simon,
Thanks mate.

383AA150-D47A-4087-B61D-CD856C30C129.jpeg

Hi all,
Here’s a few photos of a Cardiff Transport subbie,that came off the M4 at St.Julians flyover…

Scania 81
Good to see the photo of the Bridgend based Bristol.
Looks like it was taken outside the Austral/ Astral cafe on the A48 between Newport and Chepstow
Brings back memories from way back when I used to ride with the ’ old man ’
Regards Curly Bill’s eldest

pete 359:
Hi all,
Here’s a few photos of a Cardiff Transport subbie,that came off the M4 at St.Julians flyover…

Hi Andrew,when did that happen was he ok or not I never heard that mentioned by the Cardiff boys very bad one

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,when did that happen was he ok or not I never heard that mentioned by the Cardiff boys very bad one

Hi Smallcoal,
Imo,that was the early 1990’s,He was fine.I remember the incident very well,was the topic of conversation for a while.He was ex forces and curled himself up into a ball,which everyone reckoned at the time saved him? I gather he’s working for Wincanton now? Nasty accident,very lucky man to survive that.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Smallcoal,
Imo,that was the early 1990’s,He was fine.I remember the incident very well,was the topic of conversation for a while.He was ex forces and curled himself up into a ball,which everyone reckoned at the time saved him? I gather he’s working for Wincanton now? Nasty accident,very lucky man to survive that.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew how come I missed that I worked for Cardiff in the 90.s seen this daf in andoversford Cheltenham today Barry sheens support truck

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Some classic BRS photos here,three images of Pontypool depot and an aerial shot of believe it or not? Ferry Road Cardiff depot…

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Smallcoal,
Regards Andrew.

Looking at the last pic with the crane lifting the cab up,it appears that the cab took the accident very well. Do you know what make it was as it looks
like an ERF to me but bearing in mind they were fibre glass i think it must be another make ■■ Like you say, a very lucky driver.

Tony Morgan’s mighty 143 from 1991.

wales tony morgan 91.PNG

Hi Dean yes it was a erf mate

DEANB:

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Smallcoal,
Regards Andrew.

Looking at the last pic with the crane lifting the cab up,it appears that the cab took the accident very well. Do you know what make it was as it looks
like an ERF to me but bearing in mind they were fibre glass i think it must be another make ■■ Like you say, a very lucky driver.

Tony Morgan’s mighty 143 from 1991.

Hi Dean,
It was a C series ERF,bought second hand from Meachers of Southampton.
Regards Andrew.

Thanks John / Andrew for confirming it was an ERF.

Bedford agent advert.

wales sw.PNG

DEANB:

Bedford agent advert.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the dealership advert,Nelsinho were also a haulier,Joint Motorways Bought a few of their trailers and were still running them when they ceased trading in December 1998.Here are a few of Wynns and the final shot is a screenshot of a Huntley films video production on Newport Docks in the 1970’s…

91DA0D98-231F-4FE1-A18D-8B9612CF6155.jpeg

DEANB:

Bedford agent advert.

Hi all. Andrew and Dean, Nelson’s also had Bedford dealership in Ystrad Mynach on the large roundabout on the main Cardiff road through Llanbradach and Caerphilly.
The busiest parts business was DH Davies of Tredegar, if they didn’t have the part next call was to Vincent Greenhouse in Hereford.

Paul John:

DEANB:

Bedford agent advert.

Hi all. Andrew and Dean, Nelson’s also had Bedford dealership in Ystrad Mynach on the large roundabout on the main Cardiff road through Llanbradach and Caerphilly.
The busiest parts business was DH Davies of Tredegar, if they didn’t have the part next call was to Vincent Greenhouse in Hereford.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply mate.Colin Nelson whom afaiaa was the owner? He has lived in the Same village as me,for as long as I can remember,Though I’ve not seen him in some time now.Here are a few more classic old photos for my old mate Mr steel.

AED4337F-A83C-4FFE-9DDD-A390AD181FAB.jpeg