South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
There’s 30 years seperating these photos,though the same driver.Richard “■■■■” Rees,has driven for Ronnie S.Evans for 46 years!

Pete359,

Your absolutely right Richard is such a Stalwart for Ronnie S Evans, he lives 200 yds away from me, and I recall him there back in 1974 when an uncle of mine drove with them also. In those Days Ronnie ran Dodge tippers and had quite a few that I can recall. A pair of 4 wheelers NTH 107 & 109 J A pair of 6 Wheelers PTH 664 & 665K and a later one XTH349M which is on an earlier page of this thread parked behind a Hobbs Quarries Reiver somewhere or other. All of those Dodges were Perkins V8 powered.

Richard can often be seen riding his Bicycle on a Saturday around the village here! :sunglasses: )

Great to see those pictures , thanks.

Eifion.

Hi all,anyone know what dai bike from llansamlet up to nowadays he drove for Ronnie s Evans ,then him and his wife drove for Merlins

Dai the bike has been with MCL Newport since he left Ronnie hasnt changed a bit

pengelli:

Hi pengelli what his he driving

Hi all,
A beautiful Mandator V8, from the fleet of Alcan at Rogerstone.I think they were light blue and silver? This V8,many years later made it into preservation and was once owned by a dear friend John Ward r.i.p.of Oadby Leics.

EC5C9F96-BEAD-4A09-9E91-927A51276368.jpeg

Hi all,
I think this picture could be one of Ron Weatherall’s? I found it somewhere online.i notice OWENS have at least one New XF DAF now? A first for them,I think?

FB_IMG_1541418354180.jpg
Fil King pic

coomsey:
Fil King pic

Think that Gareth runs a white Foden 6 wheel tipper and not sure if that Dodge came from M Williams Haverfordwest

smallcoal:

pengelli:

Hi pengelli what his he driving

apart from driving everybody up the wall he’s got a scania on continental

T.D.Williams Iveco.

wales tdw1.PNG

Hi all,
Thanks Dean for the T.D.Williams Iveco picture.Here is the late Gerald Jones’ Scania 111.Replaced with a new 112 that ran for over 20 years.Dai,Gerald’s son,runs a new Scania drawbar these days,from the family farm in Nantgaredig…

A few here from the fleet of Narberth Transport services,courtesy of Ron Weatherall.

An old advert from 1962 showing a couple of South Wales Atkinson dealers.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:
An old advert from 1962 showing a couple of South Wales Atkinson dealers.

Click on page twice.

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the picture,Bevan’s went onto be Mercedes dealers and every new joint Motorways Merc,bar one was bought from them.Every South Wales steel haulier had a Merc from Bevan’s.Here is a John Beynon Evans F88 photo that I found online…

A Joint Motorways Shrewsbury based subbie,

rp 568.jpg

Morning Andrew,
Not sure if I have posted this on here before, Trevor Davies’s, they ran a few bulk blowers as well, bought a Leyland Constructor off a company I worked for, I think Chris Farnah got a pic of it, same company who owned the Albion Chieftain I have now, Cheer’s Pete

pete 359:

smallcoal:

daibootsy:
Helllo smallcoal, mark dad is Vivian, viv had a brother john. Their fathe was WJ DAVIES, from Landore. WJ DAVIES had lorries, W.G.Davies, Morriston had a lorry.
When B.R.S was denationalise, wjdavies bought W.G.DAVIES, and kept the name going to this day. wjdavies wife name Bonham davies, when viv was born, he was named Vivian Bonham davies, that’s how V.B.DAVIES got the name on the trucks, viv & john had big argument, but that’s another story.
Roy Colcombe from Boen-y-Maen, Had blue F89 Volvos, the yard is still there now, also own the fish shop. Malcolm Cotterell, bought nth 14y roadtrain off Owens, years ago he was a driver for John Evans Transport. here,s a pic of W.J.DAVIES.

Thanks for the info dai it’s nice to know these things :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hello dai,
Thanks for the call this morning.didnt Roy colcombe have yellow 88’s? The two blue 88’s that come to my mind? We’re owned by mad bob Davies,(rip).both of mad bob’s 88’s have been restored.
Regards andrew.

Hi Malcolm Cotterell had leyland marathons,guys big j4ts ,he had nth 20 y a ley land roadtrain he bought off john evans along with 2 others not owens.He also had scammell crusders .Bedford tms and aec mandators in the old days. He did also run an old foden s38 split screen with a 180 gardner for a short time.

merlin:
My father drove for Ely Transport and had in the 60s/7 a mk 5 AEC, CUH @@@B. I went with him several times as a boy, it was a flying machine and could keep up with Scanias which were just coming in then.
About 20 yearslater I was driving from seeing a customer in Llanelli and what do I see going up the long bank on the M48 with a coil on....the same wagon in Prosser colours, at least 30 yearsold!
Prosser at Pontllew used to run old AECs between the tin plate works around LLanelli (Treostre) My dad tell me they used to buy all the old AECs from Ely and Prices and then run them for another 20 years!

I grew up watching rossers of pontlliw AECS puffing up the road comming out of trostre steel works llanelli. They kept them lorries going for years lol.My dad sold them an aec nya 701p which was modern for them as it had power steering and a heater lol.

pete smith:
N.M.P, will remove if requested.

Lovely tm with a ■■■■■■■ .my dad had 2 back in the days one was brand new from nelsons motors swansea lth180p .she had a detroit engine.