South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:
A couple here from Swansea based operators…

Some fine shots there Andrew ! In particular that Atki of Killay’s, that driver took a real pride in his sheeting and obviously it was in the days of the old hemp/sisal ropes that look like the are well used and have seen better days ! But the Lad has made the best of the gear he has ! Those Fodens of Bowens were still running when I used to visit S. Wales in the mid late 60’s. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

pete 359:
A couple here from Swansea based operators…

Some fine shots there Andrew ! In particular that Atki of Killay’s, that driver took a real pride in his sheeting and obviously it was in the days of the old hemp/sisal ropes that look like the are well used and have seen better days ! But the Lad has made the best of the gear he has ! Those Fodens of Bowens were still running when I used to visit S. Wales in the mid late 60’s. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the reply mate.Bowen,s as you are aware,we’re a proper firm back then.Here are a pair of photos of a proper welsh based international bulk haulier.

79BF371F-CCAA-4FF4-90E6-7C18C8328666.jpeg

IMG_3933 (6).JPG

pete 359:

1 for trucknet member Chris 143.
I am sure this marathon was new to the menace,then Percy Bailey and chris,s dad would have drove it.
Just before the 81,s arrived my late dad would use it on nights.
Dai

Dai , the marathon looks a bit rough.

JAKEY:
Dai , the marathon looks a bit rough.

Afternoon Jakey,you are right there it was rough looking for years.
The A letter missing and the dirty grill looked awful from a business point of view.
It went like the clappers though and Terry Green was overtaking Steve Parry in is 111 just past the a34 turn off [M4]standing on the steps of this machine.1 slip and carnage.
A crazy lot at the time but i have fine memories of the era as a cab rat.
The Avon contract motor seddon in the background was driven by Howard Edwards who looked a dead ringer for Arthur Lowe[Captain Mainwaring].
Dai

Hi all,
Not 100% sure that you could call my old mate,Mark Allen’s Kenworth a South Wales motor? Though he had just loaded out of Port Talbot when Bob Jones took this photo at what looks to me like the original Raglan Services?

DD381018-FEE6-4250-9C29-55712008A1A5.jpeg

Andrew I remember that Keny well ,it pulled a green tandem Wilcox bodied tipper trailer with a red chassis ,cheers Dan .

Punchy Dan:
Andrew I remember that Keny well ,it pulled a green tandem Wilcox bodied tipper trailer with a red chassis ,cheers Dan .

Hi Dan,
Your right,he did.I think the bulk work was subbing to George Read? I still see Mark Allen at events.He now shows a fully restored AEC Mammoth Major in ROSSER of Pontlliw livery.He drives for a local builders merchant these days…
Regards Andrew.

Good morning Dai,

thank you for your reply , our blur Mathons had flaking paintwork as well !!! maybe they were all painted at the same locations.

Attached is MAG 67 later to become TAG 67 , ? Betnay had this one on Oxford to Swindon on days , he kept the inside clean but struggled with the paintwork on the outside , ended up being sent to Swindon and used as a shunter .

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,
Your right,he did.I think the bulk work was subbing to George Read? I still see Mark Allen at events.He now shows a fully restored AEC Mammoth Major in ROSSER of Pontlliw livery.He drives for a local builders merchant these days…
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
I can remember that KW of Marks, had “giddy up Joe” written on the side of the bonnet!
Never knew that was Marks Aec of Rossers, some work gone into that! Cheer’s Pete

JAKEY:
Good morning Dai,

thank you for your reply , our blur Mathons had flaking paintwork as well !!! maybe they were all painted at the same locations.

Attached is MAG 67 later to become TAG 67 , ? Betnay had this one on Oxford to Swindon on days , he kept the inside clean but struggled with the paintwork on the outside , ended up being sent to Swindon and used as a shunter .

I remember this motor Jakey roaming about the A420 and the A34.Used to call into Swindon depot who had a mixed fleet also.Wh smith and Wise cakes contracts etc.Bridgend had a demo Roadtrain when they first come out but they were to expensive.A few years later they had a load of them off Cardiff trucks.This is a picture of the Bridgend graveyard and they had a few dumped in the abbey works. My favourite era and i spent every minute i could around the London wharfs and kent docks in these seddons watching and learning life being away all summer holidays.
Dai

Hello Dai, we had a about three day cabbed Marathons and two Sleeper Marathons at Oxford depot ,but 67 was one of the better ones of the day cabbed ,MA56 and MA68 were not looked after,i also have a number of photos of theses motors including the sleeper cabs .

Afternoon Andrew,
I’ll put this on the right thread now!
Not sure if this has been on here before, apologies if so, not sure of the source,
Think this motor is still in the yard at Cockett with a dismantled overhead crane on the back of her, Cheer’s Pete

29540451953_32d6ed930c_b.jpg

pete smith:
Afternoon Andrew,
I’ll put this on the right thread now!
Not sure if this has been on here before, apologies if so, not sure of the source,
Think this motor is still in the yard at Cockett with a dismantled overhead crane on the back of her, Cheer’s Pete

Hello Pete,
Thanks for the comment and photo.I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that mate!

Afternoon Andrew,
A couple of pics of ex Protheroe Merc’s, not sure if they have been on before, credit for pics VLRH? Will remove if anyone is offended as I’m not 100% of the source, Cheer’s Pete.

pete smith:
Afternoon Andrew,
A couple of pics of ex Protheroe Merc’s, not sure if they have been on before, credit for pics VLRH? Will remove if anyone is offended as I’m not 100% of the source, Cheer’s Pete.

Hi Pete, that top pic was port talbot based ,I never seen a tilt that big on steel :slight_smile:

smallcoal:

pete smith:
Afternoon Andrew,

Hi Pete, that top pic was port talbot based ,I never seen a tilt that big on steel :slight_smile:

Morning Andrew,
Should have clocked the reg number, it’s a Lincolnshire reg :blush: ! I done a load of tin plate coils out of Gorseinon back to Immingham docks and 75% of the motors in there were Consolidated, all moaning about the rates! Cheer’s Pete