South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete smith:
A couple of shots of the original M5/M50 junction, some loads been shed on that bend! Cheer’s Pete

Nice capture of the F86 from Clarendon Haulage of Ribchester, near Preston. Still going today, but now based at the former Stuart Taylor yard at Mellor Brook, between Preston and Blackburn

And they’re still chucking loads off on that roundabout - I go round it twice a day!

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
Regarding the pictures of the M50 junction, I’m waiting for some shots of the old A465 HOTV road around Abergavenny area, so fingers crossed they will be good enough to post!
A couple of JR’s that were based in Walsall, the motor on the left must be a re-build or sat in the shed on the farm for a few years! N.M.P, Cheer’s Pete

It would have to be a rebuild: E-reg was issued only between January and June 1967. which would place it firmly as a Mk.1, with either a 150 or 180. The cab here is post-'72, with the bigger headboard. I didn’t think that JR kept the motors that long?

pete 359:
Hi all,
A few here from the fine fleet of Glyn S.John.

They were quite keen on the RR engines, weren’t they? Don’t tell Mr Smith from Westmorland… :unamused:

pete smith:
Morning Andrew,
Regarding the pictures of the M50 junction, I’m waiting for some shots of the old A465 HOTV road around Abergavenny area, so fingers crossed they will be good enough to post!
A couple of JR’s that were based in Walsall, the motor on the left must be a re-build or sat in the shed on the farm for a few years! N.M.P, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the J.R. Picture,I hadn’t seen that one before.Great picture.They had lorries out based everywhere in their day.i am told of an outbased J.R. driver in Arbroath,he used to confuse his colleagues in Bridgend by calling the sheets,” skans”Here is,I am guessing? an ex Metal Box of Neath Leyland Buffalo,Maybe? Came to Stobart as Part of a deal when they took over the haulage,many years ago?

Hi all,
I don’t think? We’ve had this photo on here before? Very old Swansea haulier.

evening all,
A.J.DAVID Ltd were from sway rd, Morriston. also ran buses as well,here,s pic of an early sentinel
reguards daibootsy.

N.M.P, will remove if requested.

19013573784_eaac0494a4_k.jpg

Off NA3T site,

JLC00332-27.jpg

A couple of shots of the original Heads of the Valleys road, 1st pic Blackrock,2 nd pic looking down from Brynmawr, 3rd pick looks like the start of the original bypass of Blackrock looking down the Clydach Gorge.

pete smith:
A couple of shots of the original Heads of the Valleys road, 1st pic Blackrock,2 nd pic looking down from Brynmawr, 3rd pick looks like the start of the original bypass of Blackrock looking down the Clydach Gorge.

Hi Pete,
Thanks very much for those brilliant Blackrock photos.Ive not been there for a few months,tbh I try to avoid using it,as the construction works there have been causing massive traffic flow problems.i look forward to using it once it’s open though.Be an impressive sight.I gather the climb up the mountain is on stilts? Like a lot of Italian Motorways.
Here is a rare shot,definitely not taken by me,as I can’t really remember Ricketts of Ewenny?

BF0435FE-A715-4A7E-ABAC-E227142B03F8.jpeg

pete 359:

pete smith:

Hi Pete,
Thanks very much for those brilliant Blackrock photos.Ive not been there for a few months,tbh I try to avoid using it,as the construction works there have been causing massive traffic flow problems.i look forward to using it once it’s open though.Be an impressive sight.I gather the climb up the mountain is on stilts? Like a lot of Italian Motorways.
Here is a rare shot,definitely not taken by me,as I can’t really remember Ricketts of Ewenny?

Morning Andrew,
It must have been hard going up that hill with the old tackle, never mind coming down with the poor brakes of the era! I have not been down there for a while, think the last time was returning from Illtyd Thomas’s yard in Cockett after dropping Paul’s ERF back to him 18 months ago, Cheer’s Pete

Seeing the image of the G N Ricketts Seddon page 677 brought back many memories, the day that seddon arrived new, along side it came a new Scammel Handyman (697VNY) both arrived with new crane fruehouf tandem trailers.

My father drove for Noel Ricketts and was due to have his first artic, the Scammel after his AEC mk 5 eight wheeler. I was aware that these trucks were arriving so after school on my bike down to Ewenny to view the new arrivals. In the yard was Noel Ricketts he was with tall man in a very smart suit. Noel knew I was truck mad kid so gave me the OK to check them out. I loved the Scammel and disliked the Seddon I thought it was ugly.

Noel goes off to his office to take a telphone call, the man in the suit and I start talking and to my horror he liked the Seddon and dislikes the Scammel, Noel returns to the yard and after a few minutes the man leaves. Noel asked me if knew who that man was, I said no, he said that was John Raymond.

From 1961.

wales 19611.PNG

Hi Andrew.
I know Sandersons were not strictly speaking a Welsh company but i have just received this colour photo taken in Sandersons yard at Great Broughton and noticed there is a Cardiff telephone number on the cab. So before they opened the yard on Commercial Road in Newport, they originally ran the night trunks to Cardiff. When my father started trunks he did say for a short time he had digs in Cardiff before digging in Newport this would probably be around 1966, hope this is of interest to you.

jshepguis:
Hi Andrew.
I know Sandersons were not strictly speaking a Welsh company but i have just received this colour photo taken in Sandersons yard at Great Broughton and noticed there is a Cardiff telephone number on the cab. So before they opened the yard on Commercial Road in Newport, they originally ran the night trunks to Cardiff. When my father started trunks he did say for a short time he had digs in Cardiff before digging in Newport this would probably be around 1966, hope this is of interest to you.

Didn’t sandersons change their colours ,I remember them on commercial road it all houses there now cheers John

smallcoal:

jshepguis:
Hi Andrew.

Didn’t sandersons change their colours ,I remember them on commercial road it all houses there now cheers John

I remember Sandersons did a changeover with S Protheroe at Fradley,Lichfield,in the 70s.

Hi John.
After a few years of being owned by Durhams fleet colours were changed to a blue with a green and purple stripes this mirrored Durhams whose colours became red with a matching orange and yellow stripe. Was highlight of my summer holidays going on night trunk with my dad and staying at digs in Newport. Sandersons depot was just getting established when i first started going in the mid 60,s seem to think depot was either next to or behind a Shell garage on Commercial road.
Chris you are right about changeover with S Protheroe after years on night trunk my dad then dropped onto changeover as well as my uncle . I would when on holiday try and go as often as possible with both of them. In fact my dad and uncle did a fortnight about changeovers on nights then a fortnight of days local tipping and reloading for nights, so was not unusual for me to do a night then go straight away with one of them on days!! As andrew will know changeover was just off the A38 at an old bit of road signed posted as Fradley depot warehousing seem to think in those days you could see a big Lucas factory in the distance. Obviously it’s all changed a lot now.
John

jshepguis:
Hi John.
After a few years of being owned by Durhams fleet colours were changed to a blue with a green and purple stripes this mirrored Durhams whose colours became red with a matching orange and yellow stripe. Was highlight of my summer holidays going on night trunk with my dad and staying at digs in Newport. Sandersons depot was just getting established when i first started going in the mid 60,s seem to think depot was either next to or behind a Shell garage on Commercial road.
Chris you are right about changeover with S Protheroe after years on night trunk my dad then dropped onto changeover as well as my uncle . I would when on holiday try and go as often as possible with both of them. In fact my dad and uncle did a fortnight about changeovers on nights then a fortnight of days local tipping and reloading for nights, so was not unusual for me to do a night then go straight away with one of them on days!! As andrew will know changeover was just off the A38 at an old bit of road signed posted as Fradley depot warehousing seem to think in those days you could see a big Lucas factory in the distance. Obviously it’s all changed a lot now.
John

I remember them now there’s a Esso garage there now it’s all changed there now new roads houses it’s all there,cheers John

Where the entrance was there’s a car sales on the garage you will see it on google maps street view ,it not commercial street it’s corporation rd I was told that when they cleared the area there was 3 blue line tractor units there cheers John

Dai Echo has asked if anyone remembers a company in Newport [ based further along Corperation road] called R Williams international?
He recalls his Uncle drove an F88 for them on trips to Sweden.