South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:

Cracking pic of tdw,any idea where it was taken

Hi Smallcoal,
Sorry,I meant to post.It’s a Norman Corcoran picture.He took it at Helensburgh,the Scottish missile base.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,tdw had quite a few mod contracts I rember they had caerwent base in the 80’s the foden with the nameplate on front is the German :smiley:

smallcoal:

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:

Cracking pic of tdw,any idea where it was taken

Hi Smallcoal,
Sorry,I meant to post.It’s a Norman Corcoran picture.He took it at Helensburgh,the Scottish missile base.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,tdw had quite a few mod contracts I rember they had caerwent base in the 80’s the foden with the nameplate on front is the German :smiley:

Hi Smallcoal,
Yes,the missiles used to come into Barry a lot.Hard to imagine them being carried on a flat trailer now,lol.
Regards Andrew.

Oh Deffo h&s would have a field day :laughing: it would have to be tautliner strapped, fire extinguishers,etc etc over the top stuff ,not like the old days

hi everyone,
somebody was on about ROM RIVER from risca? a shot of a b series erf.

$_57[2][2].jpg

what happened to FTS .white yellow and blue wagons .i used to see them in panasonic’s factory in pentwyn. or is my memory playing tricks again?

wideboybob:
what happened to FTS .white yellow and blue wagons .i used to see them in panasonic’s factory in pentwyn. or is my memory playing tricks again?

Hi,
Trucknet member Vanman99 is the one to answer that imo.

Hi Andrew / with regards to the bombs from Barry docks we used to take them to Welford private entrance off the M4 just past Membury signed as Council vehicles only good night out there but you had to change your money into dollars I think the BRS had the main contract TDW,s used to run with us . I think they were stored there for Greenham Common .

pete 359:

wideboybob:

Hi,

Unfortunately I’m unable to help, a little before my time at Panasonic, not only that, we collect and deliver to what was the opposite side to the TV plant, even whilst it was there. I deal with another department. which is now next door to the Microwave plant, most of the work that comes out of there is done by our Eastern European ‘cousins’! Shunting done by Rhys Davies, containers come in by numerous companies. But I can ask, as I deal with the person who dealt with transport back then, now. Watch this space!

MAN wrecker from South Wales.

pete 359:

wideboybob:

Hi,

Thanks for posting this fantasti ckshot of Wynns Motor, Me late Grandfather who drove Steam Traction Engines in the 20s New the Wynns firm very well and used to work hand in hand with them when in South Wales & Told me when I was a young boy sitting in the airaid shelter during the last war, Of hisconnections with Wynns , They used to reload him back up to the Newcastle upon Tyne area, No mobile phones in those old days Eh, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete 359:

wideboybob:

Hi,

Thanks for posting this fantasti ckshot of Wynns Motor, Me late Grandfather who drove Steam Traction Engines in the 20s New the Wynns firm very well and used to work hand in hand with them when in South Wales & Told me when I was a young boy sitting in the airaid shelter during the last war, Of hisconnections with Wynns , They used to reload him back up to the Newcastle upon Tyne area, No mobile phones in those old days Eh, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the comments.Wynns to me as a truck mad kid growing up in South Wales in the 1970’s were a spectacular sight with their huge loads that I often saw on the A48.i couldn’t believe the number of wheels on their trailers and those mighty Scammell Contractors were a hell of a tool.i can very vaguely recall seeing their Pacific tractors and the weird noises they made,50 years later I now know they were chain drive.Converted from World War Two tank transporters in the Newport yard.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete 359:

wideboybob:

Hi,

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the comments.Wynns to me as a truck mad kid growing up in South Wales in the 1970’s were a spectacular sight with their huge loads that I often saw on the A48.i couldn’t believe the number of wheels on their trailers and those mighty Scammell Contractors were a hell of a tool.i can very vaguely recall seeing their Pacific tractors and the weird noises they made,50 years later I now know they were chain drive.Converted from World War Two tank transporters in the Newport yard.
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
Same here mate, Wynns used to pull the loads out of John Thompsons in Ettingshall Wolverhampton and they used to go back out of town on the A41 towards Whitchurch, I lived 1/2 mile from the bottom of a hill called the Rock, just before Tettenhall, used to be a Contractor pulling and one pushing, just before the lights there was 3 bridges very close together, so they would disconnect the one pushing and couple a Commer box van with a compressor in the rear to inflate the air bags under the trailer to reduce ground pressure over these bridges.
Once clear of the bridges both those Scammell Contractors had a dead start on that hill, quality engineering both in the load and the vehicles transporting them and what a very highly respected company Wynn’s was and very clever with their trailer building and converting those Pacifics, the likes of which will sadly never to be seen again, apologies for waffling on! Cheer’s Pete

T.D.Williams Pegaso.

t d williams pegaso1.PNG

Hi all,
I found this photo on Facebook.The red F88 is KG registered and Penarth road Cardiff is written on the door.Though I can’t make out the company name??

pete 359:
Hi all,
I found this photo on Facebook.The red F88 is KG registered and Penarth road Cardiff is written on the door.Though I can’t make out the company name??

Pop it on the middle east thread Andrew, someone may recognise it chap ? :wink:

Hi marktaff,did you pass over j44 about 8ish this morning cheers John

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Dean,
Thanks for that.i had a text from a good mate of mine who is an authority on South Wales road haulage,that 88 was owned by the original Welsh International Transport operation set up by Alf Firzpatrick and his wife Pearl.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Dean,
Thanks for that.i had a text from a good mate of mine who is an authority on South Wales road haulage,that 88 was owned by the original Welsh International Transport operation set up by Alf Firzpatrick and his wife Pearl.
Regards Andrew.

I wonder if it was this one. :wink: (Click on page once to read.)

Kempston:

That is a fine shot of the ERF and Four-in-line, 24 ton GVW, which engine would it have had , ■■■■■■■ NH180 maybe or a LX150 ? and Payload ? 15/16 ton ? Cheers Bewick.