South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

hi all,
can’t remember the firm tbh.looks like a real working welsh lorry.courtesy of DEANB and the Paul C Gee collection.Love the greedy boards for the coke!

hi all,
Two MAN of cardiff based nationwide transport,a big player in their day.ran a lot of timber to and from tilbury and all over the uk from their yard at cardiff docks.i think? they did a bit of middle east work with J&M Transport back then also? I remember seeing them everywhere as a kid,running column change MAN.courtesy of DEANB and Paul C Gee.

nationwide2.jpg

nationwide.jpg

1. a D.Austen jones 400.
  2. a caswell borderer.
  3. a pair of glyn s.john’s.
  4. a BSC fleet crusader.
  5. a Rewson of neath 400.

d austen.jpg

A00151.JPG

cusadbsc.jpg

gsj2.jpg

gsj1.jpg

caswell.jpg

Hi all,
Firstly another of Rewson transport,then GHB 542N a J&M Transport 290 F88,driven from new by my life long friend alun griffiths,i did many miles in that motor over 40 years ago! and a western BRS buffalo……

AS21.JPG

asg.jpg

rewson 4002.jpg

Hi all. Andrew the Williams Brothers F88 ran out of Nantgarw coke works and Machen Colliery. Trethomas is between Caerphilly and Newport . Rowly knows the brothers.

Paul

Wynns.

wynnsaa.jpg

hi all,
with thanks to DEANB and Paul C Gee we have here:
1)Hicks of newport sed.atki.400.
2)Geest from barry foden.
3)calor gas from briton ferry A series.

AS11.JPG

AS22.JPG

AS14.JPG

pete 359:
hi all,

Geest, there’s a name from the past, just after passing my class one and on agency work to start, I was shunting on the docks in Barry, round the clock, no drivers hours there, once the boat was in, it was straight off the boat into the fridge, keep the trailers coming until the boat was empty, trailers were then taken by the regular drivers wherever they were wanted. Nigh on 20 hours, got fed up of winding sodding legs that’s for sure, no air suspension to lift 'em up a bit to roll!

vanman99:

pete 359:
hi all,

Geest, there’s a name from the past, just after passing my class one and on agency work to start, I was shunting on the docks in Barry, round the clock, no drivers hours there, once the boat was in, it was straight off the boat into the fridge, keep the trailers coming until the boat was empty, trailers were then taken by the regular drivers wherever they were wanted. Nigh on 20 hours, got fed up of winding sodding legs that’s for sure, no air suspension to lift 'em up a bit to roll!

hi simon,
my father worked in barry dock many many years ago.i can remember going down to see the geest bay come in with bannanas from the windward islands.i cant recall exactly when geest left barry? i am guessing the early to mid 1990’s.Geest have a huge facility at portsmouth these days,you can see it clearly when coming in and out on the Le Havre and Caen boats.

hi all,
some more welsh motors near Ross on Wye,courtesy of the Paul C.Gee collection.Firstly three from the B.A.Rogers fleet from skewen.

bar3.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar1.jpg

A few more,courtesy of the Paul C.GEE collection,two of wm.morgan of ystradgunlais and i think an Entress F86?

ent1.jpg

wmystrad2.jpg

wmystrad1.jpg

hi all,
A few more welsh motors,courtesy of the Paul C.Gee collection.two nationwide transport MAN and a Foden from RE-CHEM who i know had a large plant near my uncle’s house in griffithstown near pontypool.

rechem1.jpg

nat2.jpg

nation1.jpg

hi all,
here is a 400 sed. atki. from nessbert of cardiff,then a tim price of pontypool borderer and a coastal roadways of pyle ERF.

coast1.jpg

tprice1.jpg

nessb1.jpg

hi all,
courtesy of Paul C Gee.Fowler’s from south wales?

fowl1.jpg

Hi all,
Courtesy of the Paul C.Gee collection.

1. Alcan of Rogerstone Scania 110.
  2. Tac Glyn John VOLVO F88.
  3. Penllyne of llandow Foden.
  4. Bown’s Ford Transcontinental.

bown1.jpg

pen1.jpg

tac1.jpg

cross keys1.jpg

hi all,
A few more welsh oldies,from Paul C.Gee.

1. a bridgend BRS DAF.
  2. a Nationwide Transport MAN.
  3. a new looking 290 F88 of Glyn S. John.

john1.jpg

nat3.jpg

brs daf.jpg

pete 359:
hi all,

1. a bridgend BRS DAF.

Excellent photos,i believe the brs daf was a ferry road Cardiff motor.
Of the 4 at bridgend MWS917 910R were last to be painted mustard yellow.I am just hoping for the 2 Buffalos to appear.
I never took photos of them Peu712 713R painted in the new colours.

scania81:

pete 359:
hi all,

1. a bridgend BRS DAF.

Excellent photos,i believe the brs daf was a ferry road Cardiff motor.
Of the 4 at bridgend MWS917 910R were last to be painted mustard yellow.I am just hoping for the 2 Buffalos to appear.
I never took photos of them Peu712 713R painted in the new colours.

hi all,
scania 81,thank you,i did wonder after i posted it tbh.much like yourself,i am hoping for more cracking welsh images.
regards andrew.

courtesy of the Paul C.Gee collection:
1)a sprayway? of swansea borderer.
2)a Maldwyn Davies of hirwaun Foden eight wheeler.
3)a pair of B.S.C. fleet Scammell Crusader’s.

crusbsc2.jpg

crusbsc.jpg

maldwyn.jpg

sprayway.jpg

hi all,
a couple more here,courtesy of the Paul C.Gee collection.Nationwide transport were a very big player in their day,i think they were owned by a large ship chandlers,bailey of cardiff dock…

nation again.jpg

nation yet again.jpg