Some Old Seddon's

gingerfold:
FRC 805C In Rush Green Motors, February 1986

Delivered to the farm where the restoration was to take place, March 1986

Restoration of the chassis completed by July 1987, all preparation and painting done by hand with basic facilities.

Arriving at The Stray, Harrogate, August 1989, which was our second time at this event.

Here’s a photo of 877 DPW when new. I did know from its registration details that it had been a van originally and for a meat company, presumably from the photo a member company of FMC. isn’t the internet wonderful.

27103112191_6cd8742504.jpg

Yours in 1967 for the princely sum of £3.875 complete with heater, demister and windscreen washer :unamused:

Note in 1967 £3,875 at today’s value would be £48,032. :astonished:

Now here’s an interesting photo, a Jack Bradley of Accrington Seddon four wheeler and drawbar trailer, not a common sight at all. Is the lorry a 15/10 or a long wheelbase SD4?

30469287443_25f381fb65.jpg

Graham it seems the cab seen here as fitted to the SD6 to DD8 was also fitted to the Mk14 four wheeler which this could well be, if the reg is PTD then its from 1960. The SD, DD range came out in 58. The bumper as on the Seddon in your pic is slightly higher up on the Mk14 as opposed to the DD’s. As you know its difficult to say for certain with Seddon’s range at this time they had such a variety! Franky.

moomooland:
0Yours in 1967 for the princely sum of £3.875 complete with heater, demister and windscreen washer :unamused:

That by today’s standard is a very competitive price for what was a durable motor ■■?.

shugg:

moomooland:
0Yours in 1967 for the princely sum of £3.875 complete with heater, demister and windscreen washer :unamused:

That by today’s standard is a very competitive price for what was a durable motor ■■?.

Oh! come Shugg’s those Seddon RR 32:4’s were the cheapest nastiest bags 'o ■■■■■ available on the “Premium” market, why do you think BRS ran so many ! :unamused: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Frankydobo:
Graham it seems the cab seen here as fitted to the SD6 to DD8 was also fitted to the Mk14 four wheeler which this could well be, if the reg is PTD then its from 1960. The SD, DD range came out in 58. The bumper as on the Seddon in your pic is slightly higher up on the Mk14 as opposed to the DD’s. As you know its difficult to say for certain with Seddon’s range at this time they had such a variety! Franky.

Yes Franky, it is difficult to decide without seeing it in the flesh, so to speak. The front towing / pushing bracket and jaw, the front mounted exhaust suggesting Gardner engine, makes me think it could be a SD4. The tag with the photo says 15/10, (which is by a jobbing photographer) but I don’t think it is.

gingerfold:
Now here’s an interesting photo, a Jack Bradley of Accrington Seddon four wheeler and draw-bar trailer, not a common sight at all. Is the lorry a 15/10 or a long wheelbase SD4?

Click on picture to view full size.

Jack Bradley of Accrington operated this Seddon Diesle Mk15 draw bar outfit during the early late 1950’s and early 1960’s.

The late Peter Davison, who took the picture in 1961, gave me a copy in 2008 and at the time he told me….

"This is the Seddon that i was trailer mate on for Jack Bradley and as far as I know, it was the last draw-bar trailer outfit that Bradley’s ran.

There were three draw-bar trailer outfits at Bradley’s when I started there, two Atkinson’s’ and a KV ERF all fitted with Gardner 5LW engines.

As you can imagine, progress was painfully slow at times with the trailer on and the Seddon was no different, only being equipped with a 5 pot Gardner.

I took the picture just outside the then Turners Asbestos works at Erith in Kent in 1961 were we loaded up with 22 tons of asbestos sheets.

My driver at the time, Les Salisbury, was in the phone box to the extreme left of the picture, ringing for instructions, which no doubt entailed us having a wash & brush up, grabbing a feed somewhere before the long journey home North."

My first day on brs Stoke,arrived at 5.30 transport manager says Chris you go with Ian he will drop you off at brs Oxford,he was going to London I seem to remember,collect a tractor ,one of the Seddons Rolls powered and a 40 foot van just bring back to Stoke, seemed easy enough, arrived in Oxford walks into office and gave him my paperwork. Follow me young fella he says , I obliged, he shouts to this fella in overalls this lad has come for that Stoke motor, fella carries on walking and shouts to me its running don’t stall it it hasn’t got a starter motor ! baptised by BRS cheers.

I don’t know anything about this photo, are they legs or something on the trailer for building a stand maybe ? , also the cab roof has something heavy duty on it for standing on.

Jenson:
I don’t know anything about this photo, are they legs or something on the trailer for building a stand maybe ? , also the cab roof has something heavy duty on it for standing on.

Hi Jenson, that was the transporter for Donald Campbell’s Bluebird, speed record breaking car not sure which one there were at least 2 and in preservation toured racing circuits .
Oily

oiltreader:

Jenson:

Hi Jenson, that was the transporter for Donald Campbell’s Bluebird, speed record breaking car not sure which one there were at least 2 and in preservation toured racing circuits .
Oily

Thanks for that Oily , that’s interesting so i did some researching ( not that i didn’t believe you) and you were correct
I found these photos on the internet so not mine.

567807493.jpg

Just had a look in the Bob Tuck book Carrying Cargo which has a picture with info and the “props/legs” on the trailer were for supporting the unloading ramps which where 40ft long.
Oily

moomooland:

gingerfold:
Now here’s an interesting photo, a Jack Bradley of Accrington Seddon four wheeler and draw-bar trailer, not a common sight at all. Is the lorry a 15/10 or a long wheelbase SD4?

Click on picture to view full size.
0Jack Bradley of Accrington operated this Seddon Diesle Mk15 draw bar outfit during the early late 1950’s and early 1960’s.

The late Peter Davison, who took the picture in 1961, gave me a copy in 2008 and at the time he told me….

"This is the Seddon that i was trailer mate on for Jack Bradley and as far as I know, it was the last draw-bar trailer outfit that Bradley’s ran.

There were three draw-bar trailer outfits at Bradley’s when I started there, two Atkinson’s’ and a KV ERF all fitted with Gardner 5LW engines.

As you can imagine, progress was painfully slow at times with the trailer on and the Seddon was no different, only being equipped with a 5 pot Gardner.

I took the picture just outside the then Turners Asbestos works at Erith in Kent in 1961 were we loaded up with 22 tons of asbestos sheets.

My driver at the time, Les Salisbury, was in the phone box to the extreme left of the picture, ringing for instructions, which no doubt entailed us having a wash & brush up, grabbing a feed somewhere before the long journey home North."

Great information, thank you. A 5LW gave 100 bhp…to shift 22 tons plus the tare weight of the outfit. Makes you think.

Jenson:

I see that the Seddon unit had ,what would have been, an early ■■■■■■■ engine, would it have been a NH180 ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Jenson:

I see that the Seddon unit had ,what would have been, an early ■■■■■■■ engine, would it have been a NH180 ? Cheers Bewick.

I believe that you’re correct Dennis, the early ■■■■■■■ engines in the UK were NH180s

Bewick:

shugg:

moomooland:

Oh! come Shugg’s those Seddon RR 32:4’s were the cheapest nastiest bags 'o [zb] available on the “Premium” market, why do you think BRS ran so many ! :unamused: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Exactly my point Bewick , but they moved large tonnages when required for many customers ■■?.

137.jpg