Some Old Seddon's

John West:
Thanks Franky.

I’m too old to remember exactly when I saw them. They would have been, I think, on Athersmith’s contract with Barrow Paper Mill, long since defunct, whether on contract A licences or full A licences I couldn’t say, but the mill had plenty of outbound traffic to places south and the return loads would be some sort of clay used in paper making from Devon or Cornwall.

Bill Athersmith used to enjoy a yearly cruise, so I was told, and related to someone that he didn’t need huge profits from each individual wagon, ten pounds per week was sufficient. Tales from yesteryear!

John.

With regards to the yearly cruise John this was in the days before jet travel and the Liners were the means of communication around the world and apparently the done thing was to travel south on either an Australian or S. African bound liner stopping off in Funchal, Madeira, or carry on to Cape Town then return North eventually back to the UK. I don’t think it was the same as cruising we have to-day it was far more up market and I believe this was the sort of cruises Billy Athersmith went on, well at least that is how Jackie Brady explained it to me ! The Big’un could never understand why anyone would ever want to leave the Furness Peninsula :open_mouth: ( Unless it was to go into Lancashire to a RLF match :wink: ) Cheers Dennis.

robert1952:
A Seddon ugly duckling! robert

And a 4 glass windscreen,was a woeful looking “shed” indeed!

David

I can only assume this awful looking motor was an early attempt to produce something for export along the lines of what was seen on the continent at the time which seems to be early 50’s. There is no doubt Seddon gave their designers cart blanche approval to turn out many different designs of cab, the range during the 40’s to the 60’s proves this, no other small concern produced so many cab designs and different mark’s of vehicle in such a short period of production. I believe it was a totally Seddon design without any connection to another foreign company, the chrome bars on the grille are also used on their Mk 12 NC (normal control) which was also a vehicle produced for export around the same time with similar looking four piece screen although slightly better shaped. It is a truly bad looking machine all the same and may likely have not got any further than what seems to be a prototype model and therefore may of had changes if put into production (no wing mirrors fitted although there does seem to be a reg no on the bumper). Its a shame there is no info to go with the pic, ugly but interesting! Franky.

There is though this Seddon-Van Twist-Maessen design from page 5 which is very similar probably not as ugly but not much better so there may have been some connection with foreign makers. Maybe our ugly duckling was the prototype of this below! Franky.

Seddon-VanTwist-Maessen.jpg

Seddon - D M Parker - (CFR31):

couple more to follow …

TROOPER 8011:

couple more to follow …

Great photo, 1946 Blackpool Reg, Thanks for posting this fine looking Seddon, I wonder what was under its bonnet ■■, Regards Larry.

Dad drove one like that with a Perkins P6 engine and wooden bulk grain body for Laws Transport of Reading. The reg number was JMO 1 which would be worth a bit these days.

Pete.

windrush:
Dad drove one like that with a Perkins P6 engine and wooden bulk grain body for Laws Transport of Reading. The reg number was JMO 1 which would be worth a bit these days.

Pete.

Hi “windrush” That is a great photo The reg is late 40sEarly50s Berkshire, Regards Larry.

JMO is Dec 53 to Oct 54 then KMO from Nov 54 Larry, your right about the Berkshire district and I would think JMO 1 would make a few bob today. Cheers Franky.

Lawrence - Thanks for your kind comments re CFR31.
A couple more …

Seddon - K & R Walsh - (390XUA):

Seddon - Chaddock Bros - (921FH):

Frankydobo:
JMO is Dec 53 to Oct 54 then KMO from Nov 54 Larry, your right about the Berkshire district and I would think JMO 1 would make a few bob today. Cheers Franky.

It would have been around 8 years old when dad had it then. Must have been registered locally but I don’t think that LAWS were the original purchasers as they had nothing new but did run several later model Seddons of various vintage (some ex Christopher Hill I believe?) with Leyland engines, we will never know now of course.

Pete.

Before anyone asks …
The vehicle on the back of the K & R Walsh Seddon (390XUA) is a French built/registered Hotchkiss (6112 GG 76):

Lawrence Dunbar:

TROOPER 8011:

couple more to follow …

Great photo, 1946 Blackpool Reg, Thanks for posting this fine looking Seddon, I wonder what was under its bonnet ■■, Regards Larry.

Thanks for a great picture of the Seddon mk5 , My first mount at BRS Oxford fondly remembered by me in 1950 ish PFC 321 good for 7 ton, 5sp David Brown box plus Eaton 2 sp axle .just out of National Service i was and ready to fly -she obliged !. Got "promoted " to the same model but in artic format soon after but at 12 ton cut my wings somewhat. but decent trucks all the same.

moomooland:

Great picture Paul. Would it be OK for me to repost it on the Distillers thread.

Ray

This might of been one of Moomoolands old photos so my thanks go to Paul. :smiley:
I think that the driver would of been an old fellow called Gill Scott.

Probably a DD8 although we can’t see the rear axles in this pic. XDK is a Rochdale reg from May 1960 until September 60. Although this motor seems to have lost its newness so to speak so maybe mid 60’s when this photo was taken. The SD6 to DD8 range was introduced 1958 with this style cab with Seddon Diesel attempting to break into the 8 wheeler market which wasn’t so successful and had a short production run. The 1962 rationalisation meant there was a change of favour to the artic anyway but despite this those operators using Seddon SD or DD8 vehicles thought well of them. They could be fitted with the Gardner 6LW, 6LX or ■■■■■■■ HF6 at 24 tons gross. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Probably a DD8 although we can’t see the rear axles in this pic. XDK is a Rochdale reg from May 1960 until September 60. Although this motor seems to have lost its newness so to speak so maybe mid 60’s when this photo was taken. The SD6 to DD8 range was introduced 1958 with this style cab with Seddon Diesel attempting to break into the 8 wheeler market which wasn’t so successful and had a short production run. The 1962 rationalisation meant there was a change of favour to the artic anyway but despite this those operators using Seddon SD or DD8 vehicles thought well of them. They could be fitted with the Gardner 6LW, 6LX or ■■■■■■■ HF6 at 24 tons gross. Franky.

Hi Franky, Regarding the 8 wheelers Matty Armstrong from Ponteland had one it was a Ex Tom Fisher motor from the Beverley area, It had the 150 Gardner Engine with Kirkstall rear double drive axles, Plus a Eaton two speed device fitted on the back of the gear box, He reckoned it was a good old bit of gear, Regards Larry.

When i was a young lad at Fred Chappells we had just one 4 wheel Seddon tipper, Perkins P6, I used to hate the thing with a passion and Fred knew it. “Brian, load the Seddon at Leeds Fireclay and deliver to Port Talbot”. :cry: No motorway in those days, what a shed it was. The Perkins had a habit, when you stopped the engine, of running backwards on maximum revs, clouds of smoke and ■■■■ near impossible to stop. I never did find out what was actually happening when it set off on max revs and ■■■■ near destroyed it’s self. The bloody thing traumatised me for life. :frowning:
Same with the TS3 when it decoked itself coming over the Brecon Beacons in the middle of the night, nobody warned me about it , I though the world was ending. :laughing:

moomooland:

I thought these were really Smart in their day, My Dad used to drive one for Marwin Transport (became Brit European)