Side marker lights

OK. so this is not a particularly exciting, or even interesting picture.
A little DAF CF road sweeper happily going about its business.
But, it shows us something that as puzzled me for years. this little DAF is illuminated from the side by two orange side marker lights.
I assume that this is per the current regulations, it as one towards the rear,and another approximately in the middle.
Right,so far so good. Now,again i assume that the decision to make the fitting of such lights ,was taken to make vehicles more visible ,
easier to see,(and avoid) in the dark.That sounds laudable, i think.
Now i come to the bit that’s keeping me awake at night, its been gnawing at me, there as to be a answer,somewhere.
Why,and perhaps more to the point, who decided that a vehicle,like our little DAF road sweeper needed the added protection of side maker lights from the middle,to the rear, but not from the middle to the front.
The front bit is where the cab is, its the bit that contains the driver,its the bit that is most likely to emerge or protrude from a side road or a gateway,a garage, a works exit.Therefore its the bit that is most likely to be struck by a vehicle passing across its bow,if you see what i mean.
Yes i know, i should get a life,there are a great many more important things to worry over, but i cannot, i have tried and tried to get a satisfactory answer to this.
I have contacted car manufacturers who seem to fit marker lights as and when the mood takes them, sometimes both ends,sometimes the front end ,but not the back, and sometimes vice versa.
All to no avail. The usual response is, ‘Contact your nearest dealer.’ I,ve tried that. they either have no idea what i am talking about, or they tell me to contact the manufacturer. Or ‘We are pleased you are interested in our range of vehicles, would you like to arrange a test drive.’!!
I did have a very long and detailed response from Mark Grainger of the S.M.M.T awhile back which made very interesting reading.
But it still did not answer that one simple question, why do so many runs of side maker lights finish before the cab door.?
Have a look next time you are out on the road and see whether you agree.

I think you should have a wee lie down in a darkened room until these thoughts go away… :slight_smile:

I wish I had the time like you to dwell on such meaningless crap!!

Well i am long retired, and too knackered to do much else.

samaritans.org

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Does this come under the construction and use regs, maybe your answer is in there.

:slight_smile:
The cab in the picture, a DAF, looks the same to me as most if not all others in this particular respect:
The front corner marker light (just below the wind deflector) has a curved shape and can be seen when lit from the front, SIDE and rear.
Some have one bulb inside, and some have two, with a divide piece between them.
The lens cover has two colours so that when fitted shows only white light when viewed from the front and amber from the side and rear (as per the Construction & Use regulations.)

Well that’s my theory, anyway … :sunglasses:

A dont know maybe thats the way it is because DAF said so

Deesider:
The cab in the picture, a DAF, looks the same to me as most if not all others in this particular respect:
The front corner marker light (just below the wind deflector) has a curved shape and can be seen when lit from the front, SIDE and rear.
The lens cover has two colours so that when fitted shows only white light when viewed from the front and amber from the side and rear (as per the Construction & Use regulations.)

Yes i see your point but i think in this case its the flasher bulb that is orange, and not the lens.
again if the DAF was parked in the dark with its front end in a vulnerable position and only its side lights on,?

pyewacket947v:

Deesider:

Yes i see your point but i think in this case its the flasher bulb that is orange, and not the lens.
again if the DAF was parked in the dark with its front end in a vulnerable position and only its side lights on,?

You would see it because the side light would be on in the dark as the side light in the headlight would be on.

Construction and use, 2 or more lamps each side, 1 no more than 1 metre from the rear, and 1 no more than 4 metre from front of vehicle, no more than 3 metre apart.

I’ve never agreed with orange side marker lights, from the side at a glance for example in fog you can not tell which way the vehicle is facing, and a flickering side marker lens being orange could be mistaken for an indicator.

At one time as older drivers will recall, all side marker lights were two colour lenses, showing white to the front half and red to the rear, quite why this sensible design had to be changed i do not know, probably harmonisation with the continent just as with the change from the 3 line brakes to the much safer :unamused: two line system, and the increase from a 12.5 hour day to a 15 hour safer working day :unamused:

Progress, two steps forward three steps back.

You need to make a call to Samaritans,you need help if marker lights are playing on your mind.

maga:

:laughing: :laughing:

pig pen:
Construction and use, 2 or more lamps each side, 1 no more than 1 metre from the rear, and 1 no more than 4 metre from front of vehicle, no more than 3 metre apart.

Quite right, construction and use in a nutshell.
Hench my original,somewhat tongue in cheek question.
Why no more than 1 metre from the rear, but 4 metres from the front.?
No,in the great scheme of things its a tad trivial.
Apparently such things are actually thrashed out,over countless expense account lunches at the UN.

SuperMultiBlue:

maga:

:laughing: :laughing:

After 50yrs in transport, 40+ behind the wheel, i think i am entitled to ponder over some of the things i have seen and heard.
I hope all who spend their lives on the road reach retirement in one piece, and still sane as well.

If you want a general answer, Type Approval is why the side markers must be fitted this way!

Specifically, because Reg 48 says so:

unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tra … 048r9e.pdf

Section 6.18 is for side marker lamps, it begins on page 62. The component you are looking at is a side marker lamp and a side retro-reflector (section 6.17 a bit higher up for the reflector aspect of it). This Reg only applies to the vehicle build before it is registered, once on the road Construction and Use regs apply.

consettbell:
If you want a general answer, Type Approval is why the side markers must be fitted this way!

Specifically, because Reg 48 says so:

unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tra … 048r9e.pdf

Section 6.18 is for side marker lamps, it begins on page 62. The component you are looking at is a side marker lamp and a side retro-reflector (section 6.17 a bit higher up for the reflector aspect of it). This Reg only applies to the vehicle build before it is registered, once on the road Construction and Use regs apply.

Thanks,but I’ve got all that,
I just wondered why they,who ever they are, arrived at such a odd decision of no more than 1 metre from the rear but 4 metres from the front.
Why not simply 1 metre front and rear and no more than ,say 2 metres between. Simples.

TiredAndEmotional:
I think you should have a wee lie down in a darkened room until these thoughts go away… :slight_smile:

Good idea.
With Carol Kirkwood and a bottle of vodka.
Help, ive got palpitations again.!

Juddian:
I’ve never agreed with orange side marker lights, from the side at a glance for example in fog you can not tell which way the vehicle is facing, and a flickering side marker lens being orange could be mistaken for an indicator.

At one time as older drivers will recall, all side marker lights were two colour lenses, showing white to the front half and red to the rear, quite why this sensible design had to be changed i do not know, probably harmonisation with the continent just as with the change from the 3 line brakes to the much safer :unamused: two line system, and the increase from a 12.5 hour day to a 15 hour safer working day :unamused:

Progress, two steps forward three steps back.

Agreed. Do you recall the red circular dome like side markers that the Irish Republic started to use,round about the same time as orange ones made a appearance here. They did not seem to last long.
and dont start me off on 15 hour days.!!