Side marker lights

Christ lets all hope no one does!!!

I think the idea of side markers is to highlight the fact that the vehicle pulling out of the side road etc is significantly longer than a Mondeo, thus helping to ensure that no plank attempts to cut round “behind” the (well illuminated) cab, thinking it to be vehicle of normal car length.

pyewacket947v:

consettbell:
If you want a general answer, Type Approval is why the side markers must be fitted this way!

Specifically, because Reg 48 says so:

unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tra … 048r9e.pdf

Section 6.18 is for side marker lamps, it begins on page 62. The component you are looking at is a side marker lamp and a side retro-reflector (section 6.17 a bit higher up for the reflector aspect of it). This Reg only applies to the vehicle build before it is registered, once on the road Construction and Use regs apply.

Thanks,but I’ve got all that,
I just wondered why they,who ever they are, arrived at such a odd decision of no more than 1 metre from the rear but 4 metres from the front.
Why not simply 1 metre front and rear and no more than ,say 2 metres between. Simples.

I could be wrong. . . . But I’d guess it’s a compromise between what manufacturers say/promise thry can do (not costing TOO much) and the ideal solution. Side markers every metre or two may seem a good idea and I’d say, yes, most importantly at the front (truck nosing out to see past a tree etc), but maybe the makers say a standard is too difficult to agree on? I’ll admit that doesn’t seem likely to be the case, enough people fit lights all over cabs.
Governments do consult with makers before regulations are changed. Re pollution the current emissions levels weren’t just magicked up, the industry said it could get to the levels now required. Some obviously were a bit short on their promise, hence the imaginative use of software by VW. And one of my bug-bears the lane departure and EABS systems we have.- all compulsory under EU6 regs (doubtless the makers convinced the regulators they DO work) whereas we know they’re a waste of space.
Why is it that our Gov Tech departments relie on the industry to tell what is and isn’t possible?
Simply put- underinvestment. But that’s another argument again.
On Juddian’s point about side marker colours, why not tricolour lenses? White, orange and red.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

pyewacket947v:

Deesider:
:slight_smile:
The cab in the picture, a DAF, looks the same to me as most if not all others in this particular respect:
The front corner marker light (just below the wind deflector) has a curved shape and can be seen when lit from the front, SIDE and rear.
Some have one bulb inside, and some have two, with a divide piece between them.
The lens cover has two colours so that when fitted shows only white light when viewed from the front and amber from the side and rear (as per the Construction & Use regulations.)

Well that’s my theory, anyway … :sunglasses:

Yes i see your point but i think in this case its the flasher bulb that is orange, and not the lens.
again if the DAF was parked in the dark with its front end in a vulnerable position and only its side lights on,?

Thats what the conspiquity tape is for.

If you look at the door and down the side there is a reflective stripe, which is a legal fitment over 7.5t. Doesn’t need them on a tractor unit though. Some makes do have a side light / indicator combination lamp around the cab area but it’s not a mandatory position lamp.

Franglais:

pyewacket947v:

consettbell:
If you want a general answer, Type Approval is why the side markers must be fitted this way!

Specifically, because Reg 48 says so:

unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tra … 048r9e.pdf

Section 6.18 is for side marker lamps, it begins on page 62. The component you are looking at is a side marker lamp and a side retro-reflector (section 6.17 a bit higher up for the reflector aspect of it). This Reg only applies to the vehicle build before it is registered, once on the road Construction and Use regs apply.

Thanks,but I’ve got all that,
I just wondered why they,who ever they are, arrived at such a odd decision of no more than 1 metre from the rear but 4 metres from the front.
Why not simply 1 metre front and rear and no more than ,say 2 metres between. Simples.

I could be wrong. . . . But I’d guess it’s a compromise between what manufacturers say/promise thry can do (not costing TOO much) and the ideal solution. Side markers every metre or two may seem a good idea and I’d say, yes, most importantly at the front (truck nosing out to see past a tree etc), but maybe the makers say a standard is too difficult to agree on? I’ll admit that doesn’t seem likely to be the case, enough people fit lights all over cabs.
Governments do consult with makers before regulations are changed. Re pollution the current emissions levels weren’t just magicked up, the industry said it could get to the levels now required. Some obviously were a bit short on their promise, hence the imaginative use of software by VW. And one of my bug-bears the lane departure and EABS systems we have.- all compulsory under EU6 regs (doubtless the makers convinced the regulators they DO work) whereas we know they’re a waste of space.
Why is it that our Gov Tech departments relie on the industry to tell what is and isn’t possible?
Simply put- underinvestment. But that’s another argument again.
On Juddian’s point about side marker colours, why not tricolour lenses? White, orange and red.

I remember having a Welford tandem tipping trailer with a oblong side marker, white to front, red to rear and a orange reflector to the side. A slight mod to allow a section to show orange to the side would have done it.

pyewacket947v:

Franglais:
[quo… …argument again.

I remember having a Welford tandem tipping trailer with a oblong side marker, white to front, red to rear and a orange reflector to the side. A slight mod to allow a section to show orange to the side would have done it.

Didnt Berliet cabs have them too? And reflective tape on rear doors of trailers? Noticed how hard it is to keep the top bit clean? Gets filthy in the winter when its most needed. Who`s gonna climb a ladder to wipe it when all the hoses are frozen?
If only someone thought of having a big reflective panel, where it could be wiped clean, and at about headlamp height, on the rear of trucks?

At the end of the day it is all down to the laws laid down ie construction regs …There is a set distance for lights on the body ,not counting the cab…You could say they could do as merc do and fit dual filament bulbs in the side repeater ,but you have lovely reflective tape on your cab ,so your ok …I could look up the test manual…but is it that important lol

Franglais:

pyewacket947v:

Franglais:
[quo… …argument again.

Didnt Berliet cabs have them too? And reflective tape on rear doors of trailers? Noticed how hard it is to keep the top bit clean? Gets filthy in the winter when its most needed. Who`s gonna climb a ladder to wipe it when all the hoses are frozen?
If only someone thought of having a big reflective panel, where it could be wiped clean, and at about headlamp height, on the rear of trucks?

Yes, i think you could right with regard to Berliet.
The Ford Transcontinental ,which of course used the Berliet cab, also had one, but it was set in the bumper,behind the wrap round flasher. It was unusual to see the big Fords with these lights working as they nearly always failed due to dodgy electrics.

don’t worry , our resident light fitter will be along when he figures out where the broken wire is on this one…
how many light are you wanting sir ■■

Trukkertone:
don’t worry , our resident light fitter will be along when he figures out where the broken wire is on this one…
how many light are you wanting sir ■■

Very nice !!, its got to be Japanese.

OK, its not a truck in the real sense, but i still think UK/Euro side marker regs are a dogs breakfast.