Shropshire Hauliers,

Some more from Bayston Hill . The Volvos seem the most liked there. Mind you the new MAN’s look pretty good . Tony

Hi Lads ,
Having worked for both Caddy and Swain these photos bring back many memories ,
both good and bad . he he
I also remember the Millingtons from Whitchurch , and remember having a funny
conversation in Dover about a case tractor . They were talking ( father and sons )
about a case they had bought which i could not follow so ended up asking how come they
did not know what was in the case when they bought it . It was a tractor . Muppet .
I remember a few of the caddys lads , Peter and Ken Morris , Merv Harding , Peter Beckett ,
big Andy from Northampton , Robin ( rocket knob ) lived Hereford , Frank Ward .Cant think
of any more at the moment .
Transport managers were Phill Spittal and Mike Goughin on european and Dave Ellis on UK .
I am John Quirk , first wagon at Caddy was volvo 240 KGO 494 K then a 290 SUJ 238 R then onto
an F10 WNT 390 S .
Any names I cant remember I am sure some of you will be able to fill in .
Sorry no photographs .

Hi john
I’m Keith Millington and my younger brother is The heavy Mob on here. That Case tractor was a while back. It was Case LA We had been waiting to clear one week and Jack from the Routers shop took us up the road to a mate of his to look at some traction engines. anyway ended up buying this case. We reloaded that week in Lille and acquired some 8x4 sheets of 1/2 plate. So after clearing in Dover we moved Dads load forward, put the plates down and run the tractor in happy days. Sold it when Mum and Dad died 1990. I recognized quite a few of those names what are you up to nowadays?

Regards Keith

Some more pics from Bayston Hill quarry . Tony

Two of Pentons at the Shrewsbury carnival 2014 . Tony

Lucky.enough.to been.given.the keys.this one.

tonyb70:

Smart motor Tony.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

tonyb70:

Smart motor Tony.
Cheers Dave.

Cheers Dave,
I like it in lots of ways over my old shape 540, but there is a few downsides aswell,
But so far I’m really pleased with it.

tonyb70:

Dave the Renegade:

tonyb70:

Smart motor Tony.
Cheers Dave.

Cheers Dave,
I like it in lots of ways over my old shape 540, but there is a few downsides aswell,

Pro’s and con’s with everything Tony, but if you went back on some of the older units, it would prove how much improvement has been achieved over the years.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

tonyb70:

Dave the Renegade:

tonyb70:

Smart motor Tony.
Cheers Dave.

Cheers Dave,

Pro’s and con’s with everything Tony, but if you went back on some of the older units, it would prove how much improvement has been achieved over the years.
Cheers Dave.

Your right there Dave
When I passed my test in 1991, my first hgv was a Volvo f7 artic on car transporters, and no way would I want to be doing 5 nights out in one of those again,
Maybe a peek through the window of one at a truckshow would be plenty :smiley:

My only gripe is the passenger seat is the basic fold up type, whereas my other was the swivelling type. and the rear cab lockers are now tiny,
But that’s me being petty :sunglasses:
There is a whole load of improvements over the last one, Id say the best truck I have driven so far.

tonyb70:

Will look out for this one , as i see them around Sandycroft . thank you Trevor .

Pic of Billy Capper’s Guy’s and i presume his first Merc, i can remember the Big j’s tipping grain in Millers Wolverhampton,was about 9 or 10 at the time!

Hi all. I passed my class 1 in 1995 but couldn’t get any work on them because I had no experience. I was living in Bridgnorth at the time so went to work for this firm in Telford just to get some experience. Anybody remember them?

Watkiss Ashley transport by the way.

nomiS36:
Watkiss Ashley transport by the way.

I can remember them, they had some trucks on block/brick work a Scania P113 (F292 YOM?) and they finished up on container work with 4 or five trucks,one of them a red magnum

Hi Dave, just spotted this Shropshire thread, Telford firm but note the Ross-shire on the cab, it’s a while ago since I chatted to the driver of this wagon and can’t remember his explanation, anyway there’s a few more that can be shared oh here when I get them sorted
Cheers
Oily

oiltreader:
Hi Dave, just spotted this Shropshire thread, Telford firm but note the Ross-shire on the cab, it’s a while ago since I chatted to the driver of this wagon and can’t remember his explanation, anyway there’s a few more that can be shared oh here when I get them sorted
Cheers
Oily

Hi Oily,
I’ve got to admit I’m not familiar with this firm,as I live just over the border from Shropshire on the other side of the county. Pete Smith will probably know, or Saviem, as Telford is nearer to them. Good pic.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

oiltreader:
Cheers
Oily

Hi Oily,
I’ve got to admit I’m not familiar with this firm,as I live just over the border from Shropshire on the other side of the county. Pete Smith will probably know, or Saviem, as Telford is nearer to them. Good pic.
Cheers Dave.

Probably no more than a couple of wagons, another here public.fotki.com/boballoa/scotti … f6757.html anyway some more from Salop that you may recognise with thanks to those who share.
Oily

Shropshire cr Roger Kidd cc by sa 2.0 Oops^_-geograph.org.uk-_565891.jpg

Shropshire Volvo Tim Rutter of Wem cr harrypope 6150379322_9175094c33_hp b.jpg

Shropshire Telford cr harrypope 7136383837_9cc8993403_o.jpg

Yes I know those firms Oily. Maidens have a biggish fleet. I meet theirs quite a bit on my travels,also the others. Lloyds of Ludlow are nearer to me. I saw most of their old one’s today at Hereford Truck Show, looking good as always.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

oiltreader:
Cheers
Oily

Hi Oily,
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave/Oily, New one on me, just googled them and it gives a Halesfield address, round timber down to Kronospan, finished product as return load?