Sherran's ... and other Manchester firms

TIPIT:
Is that John Stanfield, one of Lamb’s mechanics?
Yes I remember Tommy Lamb’s, I’ve been trying to find someone that knew of them, but apart from one old fella from Gorton who remembered them with horses, I kept drawing a blank.
My dad Eddie Hartley drove for them for about 10 years, he got one of the first of the two 500 series they got in 1966. Two 6 wheelers with ■■■■■■■ V8’s that were brush painted maroon in the new garage. Then just before they finished in '68, those two 6 wheelers got traded in at Gordon’s Stockport, against three D1000’s and he took one of them over as an owner driver. This is the only photo I’ve got of their old wagons taken in 1960, did you get any, or of the Dormobile?

This was the last of the ex Lamb’s tippers.

And a photo of the new garage they had built at the back, in 1964 / 65.

I Remember the 2 six wheelers.I also remember Bernard Mulvaney getting a complaint from chapel en le frith council about the noise they made going through the village in the early hrs.they had some roar with them.That picture you have of your dad is with veh reg PBA— I think.Then he got a brand new one with alloy body and very high greedy boards for coal movements (A) reg at the time.Him and Jimmy Hammond got them.My Dad got his first new one in 1965- EBA543C.

any relation to steve mulvaney from clayton

I really wouldn’t know bob-lad, links to the Mulvaneys’ are tenuous to say the least. But its hardly a common name.

stravaiger:
Hope I’m not gatecrashing lads but this might be of interest…it’s from an old book…and I well enjoy
it when someone sticks on pics of the the salad days…jim
removed

Great picture Jim …I remember the driver of GVR a lad called Eric Garforth lived in failsworth.He bought a 4 wheeler Albion cheiften with a 4cyl engine from Biestys when he left to become an owner driver I used to service and repair it for him for a while and eventually lost contact with him as you do.

Some more pictures of Manchester tipper operators

Does anyone remember Waddacor’s of Queen Street Clayton/Bradford… George Musgrove who ran old S type Bedfords moving all the slag from Bradford pit to the tip on Vale Street Clayton, Len Shields who moved all the stone from Buxton to Crabtree lane Clayton for Quickmix Concrete…I’ve got more in the locker men but come on get those brains ticking!!!

ovlov:
Some more pictures of Manchester tipper operators

Does anyone remember Waddacor’s of Queen Street Clayton/Bradford… George Musgrove who ran old S type Bedfords moving all the slag from Bradford pit to the tip on Vale Street Clayton, Len Shields who moved all the stone from Buxton to Crabtree lane Clayton for Quickmix Concrete…I’ve got more in the locker men but come on get those brains ticking!!!

Was,nt Len Sheilds based in clayton next to Quickmix.George Waddacor’s used to have wagons running out of George Dews Buckton Vale Quarry at Staylbridge at the same time as Tommy Lambs 50/60s Another one Thomas Maiden on pin mill brow ancoats.Pecks from Ardwick Green.Ashton & Holmes later became Ashton & Vernon.Old driver from E F Beaties lived next door but 2 from me in 60s Sylvestor Fagan worked there years.

George Waddacors were big into coal and coke mate did all the coal from the Snipe Colliery at Audenshaw and also all the ashes from Stuart Street power sation, they stock piled it on Clayton Vale entering the site from by the abbatoir. Thomas Maiden’s ran old Bedfords and tipped the ■■■■■■■■ from demolition in a yard on Ashton Old Road by the lights near to Daf dealer Chadwicks where it went down to the yard in Piln Mill Brow where it was crushed and graded.Len Shields was on Crabtree lane opposite Quickmix. Do you remember Ben Fisher’s from Clayton, yard was on I think it was Barrington Street it ran parallel to North Road

Stanfield Have a check on your messages about Lamb’s.
Yes Ovlov, I can remember Len Shields with a 6 wheeler Thames Trader tipper, but I can’t remember him with anything newer. That 6 wheel Leyland of Evers is really good, what other Manchester tippers have you got?
Any Lamb’s or Allinson’s stuff, or John Biesty’s Routeman’s.

I came across one of this old Octopus taken in 1962, it’s parked facing the Ambulance Stn that’s still on Belle Vue St, does anyone know where Thrutchley’s yard was?

stravaiger, what is that old book you mentioned called.

Tipit…I’ve not got any Allisons mate but I had an old pal who was an OD there, do you remember Clarks from I think it was Offerton ran mainly ERF’s all with ■■■■■■■ engines mid 70,s did the same work as Allisons all out of Buxton etc

Ahh Keith Clarke’s, they were almost identical to Alllinson’s weren’t they. Their yard at Offerton was the one “Offerton Sand & Gravel” now use, I tried getting on as a driver there when I’d just got my licence at 21 in 1976. But they told me to try again when I’d turned 25, so I got carried off into a life in general haulage, but my hearts always been in tippers perhaps because I’ve never tried it. :laughing: Just like these old British wagons they ‘re okay to look at, but it took the continental trucks to show us refinement.
Can you remember a place called Callaghan’s starting up in the late 60’s I think, they were based in Dove Holes and bought a fleet of about twenty NEW 6x4 AEC’s (pre Ergo’ cabs) in black/orange, they seemed to vanish just as fast as they started.
Then there were “Edgerton’s” blue/orange from Globe Ln, Dukinfield. The last I’d heard of them was an article that they bought 2 of those AWD/Bedford TM , or was it (Leyland Roadtrain’s) artic tippers that had (all wheel drive) on the trailers.

Thanks for the info Jim it looks an interresting book to find.

Tipit…Remember Callaghans well from Doveholes…Egertons bought some of there kit when they went bust. AEC mammoth majors with park royal cabs that were a cancelled order from Wimpeys…I drove one of them for Egertons!!! 760 AEC engine 22 ton gross weight 11 tons empty!!! went like the wind when loaded with top soil and grossing at 27 tons!!! :smiley:

TIPIT:
Ahh Keith Clarke’s, they were almost identical to Alllinson’s weren’t they. Their yard at Offerton was the one “Offerton Sand & Gravel” now use, I tried getting on as a driver there when I’d just got my licence at 21 in 1976. But they told me to try again when I’d turned 25, so I got carried off into a life in general haulage, but my hearts always been in tippers perhaps because I’ve never tried it. :laughing: Just like these old British wagons they ‘re okay to look at, but it took the continental trucks to show us refinement.
Can you remember a place called Callaghan’s starting up in the late 60’s I think, they were based in Dove Holes and bought a fleet of about twenty NEW 6x4 AEC’s (pre Ergo’ cabs) in black/orange, they seemed to vanish just as fast as they started.
Then there were “Edgerton’s” blue/orange from Globe Ln, Dukinfield. The last I’d heard of them was an article that they bought 2 of those AWD/Bedford TM , or was it (Leyland Roadtrain’s) artic tippers that had (all wheel drive) on the trailers.

Hi Tipit.I remember Callaghan’s from dove holes some of their wagons were stood for sale for age’s at Kaye Goodfelleows yard on Ashton New Rd I remember Tom Stevens from Beistys going to have a look at them with thoughts of buying some in early 70s but alas he never did.Egerton Transplant as they were called were indeed at globe lane dukinfield they were owned by two brother called Hodges.My Old fellow worked for them after Lambs until 1975 when he passed away.The workshop building is still there but they have long gone.Correct me if I am wrong but I think they started off with 1 truck which they ran from their Dads pub The Chapel House in Denton.

Egerton Plant is still trading mate older brother Dave still buys and sell plant from Chapel en le Frith and Bob the younger of the 2 works for Vosa at Bredbury and has been there many years. Dave still owns the yard at globe…They were the first to operate the Russian dumptrucks known as Belaz but now known as Liaz I think …they had 4, m registered go anywhere they would.

ovlov:
Egerton Plant is still trading mate older brother Dave still buys and sell plant from Chapel en le Frith and Bob the younger of the 2 works for Vosa at Bredbury and has been there many years. Dave stiilowns the yard at globe…They were the first to operate the Russian dumptrucks known as Belaz but now known as Liaz I think …they had 4 m registered go anywhere they would.

Hi Ovlov Yes I remember those dumptrucks in fact they had quite a sizeable amount of site equipment at globe lane as I recall.The sign is still just readable as you drive past nowadays.Good to hear that they are still about,My Dad drove a 4 wheeler Dodge for them which he got new, he also used a morris mini car which was painted in there colors to come home in now and again.Is’nt bredbury earmarked for closure shortly.

I must have known your dad mate as I first came into contact with Egertons in 1971 as a 17 yr old my brother worked there driving and that Dodge you speak of was the first motor I drove for them early in 1976 when I was 21. I’ve been sat here with a mate pondering over it since your last post I would have definately known him but cant remember him I’m afraid

Oh and sorry mate Bredbury closes this month I still see and speak to Bob Hodges there, he’ll be moving to Chadderton but the last time I spoke to Dave was about 5 years ago after his wife passed away. He and his son now run Egerton’s as Bob and Dave fell out…I asked Bob when he and Dave fell out and he replied…typically I might add…Oh every f***in day!!! :smiley: