Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

DEANB:

grumpy old man:
The Charringtons 8 wheel Thorny…wonderful machines, as I’ve said before, we had 2 of 'em at Charrington-Hargreaves, one with Thornys own engine, the other with a Gardner.

“GOM” Was that model known as a Trusty ?

Yes! Ro

DEANB:

grumpy old man:
The Charringtons 8 wheel Thorny…wonderful machines, as I’ve said before, we had 2 of 'em at Charrington-Hargreaves, one with Thornys own engine, the other with a Gardner.

I think it might well have been, after 50+ years my memory is not what it used to be. Ours though were single drive and unless my tired old eyes deceive me the Charrington Thorny is double drive.

DEANB:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:
Hi again,thanks Dean for the Western Transport Scania 80,heres another pic of her from the front,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Never seen a Scania 80 in France; was it a model specific to the UK? Other question: is the truck on Pic 3 (Wyl 929) a Thornycroft?

Thanks!

Yes its a Thornycroft “Froggy55” :wink:

I’ve often wondered who made those later Thorneycroft cabs. Anyone put me out of my misery?

Retired Old ■■■■:

DEANB:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:
Hi again,thanks Dean for the Western Transport Scania 80,heres another pic of her from the front,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Never seen a Scania 80 in France; was it a model specific to the UK? Other question: is the truck on Pic 3 (Wyl 929) a Thornycroft?

Thanks!

I’ve often wondered who made those later Thorneycroft cabs. Anyone put me out of my misery?

Hiya,
It’s quite likely the Scania 80 wasn’t seen as an artic 32 tonner on foreign
shores they were crap at that weight six wheeled rigid was there limit
with that engine along with the Volvo 86 of the same era they were utter
rubbish at 32 tons wouldn’t pull your f"“”""n back. I drove both.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
It’s quite likely the Scania 80 wasn’t seen as an artic 32 tonner on foreign
shores they were crap at that weight six wheeled rigid was there limit
with that engine along with the Volvo 86 of the same era they were utter
rubbish at 32 tons wouldn’t pull your f"“”""n back. I drove both.

+1 ! Uncomfortable too. The gearstick ran tight down the side of the seat making it easy to trap your fingers. Ro

DEANB:

grumpy old man:

Try This one

DEANB:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

Thanks!

Thanks! The “T” put me on the right way.

bald:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

Thanks!

Hey Froggy, the scanias were popular in holland and belgium as well, but in LB version as rigids and in L version as tippers only. They were rare as units.

Both bonneted and forward cab 110s and 111s were popular in France. I think the series 8 started here with the 81 and 82s; it may be that the 80 was never imported because it had too many local competitors and its time.

backsplice:

DEANB:

grumpy old man:

Try This one

No Deanb it was known as a “Rusty”!

David

Hi again,regarding Scania 80s/81s…I must admit the ones that I drove were really nice to drive.I liked them,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img548.jpg

That Commer tipper is Rob’s (1970Commer here on Trucknet) but is in a different livery to when I last saw it? A much better looking driver in it as well, (that comment alone should drag him out of hibernation) haha! :laughing:

Pete.

Another one of Richards from 1974.

richards 74.PNG

windrush:
That Commer tipper is Rob’s (1970Commer here on Trucknet) but is in a different livery to when I last saw it? A much better looking driver in it as well, (that comment alone should drag him out of hibernation) haha! :laughing:

Pete.

HIBERNATION!!!

I keep an eye on what you semi retired lads are up to on here, I even put a tongue in cheek post on the other night but it’s disappeared somehow, got deleted■■? (truth hurt I think!!!)

Back to my Commer I’ve had it 18 years now, I bought it from Adrian Reed of Cinderford.

The last job it was used for was wedding transport for Stephanie, my eldest daughter, she said as she had grown up with it as part of her life & the fact it has my late dad’s name on the door, it would be ideal for taking her to church for her “special day.”

If I dig deep enough in my “filing system” I have a picture of it when it was with the original owner painted dark green.

cars (2).jpg

Hi Rob, I’m very pleased that you are keeping an eye on us. We need taking to task at times, especially Dan! I doubt that we will see each other this year now though, given the current situation? :cry: So is that pic from before you bought it then?

Pete.

Hi again,thanks to Dean and 1970 Commer for the pictures,the old Commer is stunning Rob,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img552.jpg

Heres a bit on the F89.

Click on page twice to read.

And here she is again taken at the Thirsk Truck Gathering 2018, couldn’t you just jump in and drive her all over the continent !

jshepguis:
And here she is again taken at the Thirsk Truck Gathering 2018, couldn’t you just jump in and drive her all over the continent !

i certainly could, with my wife sitting on the bunk (my 89 at WhiteTrux had the passenger seat removed :unamused: ) and rolling down the Blanc. :smiley:

Spardo:

DEANB:
Thats another nice working shot of the Scammell Bubbs ! :wink:

Heres one of your favourite companies,sorry about the quality.

Not being that handy with a camera till later in life, most of my Scrapbook Memories are in this thread, and here’s another. 5 nights a week from Boot’s at Nottingham for Stirland’s to Western Transport. First to somewhere off the M 32 east of Bristol and then when they moved, to Avonmouth.

A real doddle of a job. Start at 9pm, collect the trailer then down through Birmingham, no motorways till we hit the M5 at J.4 I think, then into the first services (can’t remember the name) for a cup and a laugh with all the trunkers on their way south from the NW, quick swap at WT Avonmouth and back for a sandwich and one out of the flask at Strensham before dropping at Boot’s, wash the tractor, refuel and home in bed by 5 ish. 10 hours pay and more on Fridays I seem to recall. Did that for a year and only left to go on my own, and Jeff Stanley did ask me back more than once, each time I did a casual shift for them, and this was when there was a waiting list at Stirland’s.

I was in my element. A Mk 1 Atki, King of the Road. Only 2 discordant notes. Once when my motor wasn’t available I went out in a Scania 80. The next night I refused it, it was freezing, the heater was bad enough in the Atki, but this was non-existent. The 2nd time was when they asked me to switch to Glasgow with an Albion. Now they had several return trunks to Stainmore but this Albion went all the way to Glasgow, a day in digs while the trailer was tipped and re-loaded, then back down the next night. I didn’t actually refuse, but I asked to be relieved of it. The reason? My mate Rob Parks was an undertaker and I had an irregular job ferrying sad people to the crems and back, and was booked for the next day. :laughing:

A really happy time, thanks for the accidental memory, Deano. :wink: :smiley:

David,I remember Stirlands changing over at Stainmore with Smith of Maddiston.I took a loaded unit and trailer up to Penrith one evening from Maltby,think it was 1979, for one of our Penrith based drivers when I worked for MFS. I was supposed to get train home !!! next day but I walked to A66/M6 island and first wagon was a Smiths going to Stainmore which stopped for me of course. So off like the proverbial off a shovel,out of one ERF into another one of Stirlands and away,being dropped off at J1 M18 about 0300,steady walk down to depot and into car,taking care not to be spotted by night shift.
Not that it would have mattered. :laughing:

Chris Webb:
David,I remember Stirlands changing over at Stainmore with Smith of Maddiston.I took a loaded unit and trailer up to Penrith one evening from Maltby,think it was 1979, for one of our Penrith based drivers when I worked for MFS. I was supposed to get train home !!! next day but I walked to A66/M6 island and first wagon was a Smiths going to Stainmore which stopped for me of course. So off like the proverbial off a shovel,out of one ERF into another one of Stirlands and away,being dropped off at J1 M18 about 0300,steady walk down to depot and into car,taking care not to be spotted by night shift.
Not that it would have mattered. :laughing:

Might have been after my time Chris, I don’t remember any ERFs while I worked there. The first I remember was my mate George Milner and Johnny Lambert heading out each evening and we had brief CB conversations as I was on my way home from work from my job as manager at Toray. That would be late 80s, early 90s. Neither of those two no longer with us. George and I went back at several firms together to the 60s, he was a good mate and mentor, in fact the man who taught me how tie a dolly and reverse an artic after I had been given one for the first time on a Saturday to take to Liverpool docks on the Monday. No schools or tests in those days eh? :laughing: