Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

I remember that BMC Mastiff of Wilson’s Haulage Sheffield,CWA 401H,as I had a lift in it back to Leicester Forest when on a dodgy and another over Woodhead into Stockport. :smiley:

I am surprised none of you “old buggers” on here dont know what that is on the Bedford ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I will pop something on when i find it on the computer. :wink:

Heres another John Golding motor.

A03361p.JPG

DEANB:
I am surprised none of you “old buggers” on here dont know what that is on the Bedford ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It is a sack lifter, less on the old bugger Mr B!

DEANB:

Old buggers ? :unamused: Have a care sir with wild scurrilous remarks like that, us ‘more mature’ retired lorry drivers are just testing the knowledge of you younger fellas. :smiley:

pete smith:

DEANB:

It is a sack lifter, less on the old bugger Mr B!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Top man Mr Smith ! :wink:

grumpy old man:
Old buggers ? :unamused: Have a care sir with wild scurrilous remarks like that, us ‘more mature’ retired lorry drivers are just testing the knowledge of you younger fellas. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I thought that may fire a few of you up ! Was not born when it came out “grumpy old man” :laughing: :wink:

1962 .Self contained loading unit.

I imagine it was not that popular as at £ 171.00 ex works that ould have been an expensive bit of kit back then.

Click on pages once.

odds loader 62.PNG

odds loader 621 poily.PNG

grumpy old man:

DEANB:

:smiley: Eyup Dean,less of “t’owd buggers” yer young whippersnapper. :laughing:

Chris Webb:

grumpy old man:

DEANB:

:smiley: Eyup Dean,less of “t’owd buggers” yer young whippersnapper. :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
I remember that BMC Mastiff of Wilson’s Haulage Sheffield,CWA 401H,as I had a lift in it back to Leicester Forest when on a dodgy and another over Woodhead into Stockport. :smiley:

I still reckon that Chris Webb spent more time travelling in other hauliers vehicles than he ever did in the ones who actually employed him! :confused: :wink:

I can’t see that the sack lifter sold well, in wet weather the spark from that engine would go on strike through spray etc and the driver would be expected to crawl underneath and sort it, there would be a weight penalty as well. Could easily be some still residing in barns though awaiting the attention of vintage preservationists…like myself! :smiley:

Pete.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

I still reckon that Chris Webb spent more time travelling in other hauliers vehicles than he ever did in the ones who actually employed him! :confused: :wink:

I can’t see that the sack lifter sold well, in wet weather the spark from that engine would go on strike through spray etc and the driver would be expected to crawl underneath and sort it, there would be a weight penalty as well. Could easily be some still residing in barns though awaiting the attention of vintage preservationists…like myself! :smiley:

Pete.

I have to agree Pete, it does seem like Chris Webb spent an awful lot of time riding around in other lorries. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Like i said when i posted that clipping of the sack lifter i thought it was expensive at £ 171.00 ex works so i assume there was
purchase tax on top of that ■■ If you were buying it through a supplier they would have put there profit on top as well.

I worked out the price on a inflation calculator and that would cost £ 3747.06 today so i cant see many companies would
have bought it as would have been an expensive bit of kit back then.

Spardo:

gingerfold:

Spardo:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres today stuff starting with the real old wagons then up to a bit more modern motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I wonder if that Maudsley model at no.2 is the origin of the name of the LAD cabbed AEC Mustang I saw in Australia in the 60s. Dig kindly dug out a picture some years back and put it on TN.

The LAD AEC Mustang was a ‘one-off’ built by AEC Australia using a Leyland Super Comet chassis and cab but with AEC AV470 engine and Thornycroft D197 gearbox. Very few were built probably fewer than double figures. The AEC built Chinese-six Mustang was a derivative of the 2GM4 Mercury and some 350 AEC Mustangs were built from 1960 to 1963. They were built in the former Maudslay plant at Great Alne, Alcester. the model name Mustang was taken from Maudslay, as was the Marathon name, which was originally a coach.

Maudslay was originally at Parkside Works Coventry; Great Alne was its WW2 Shadow Factory. Parkside was closed when ACV was formed with the amalgamation of AEC, Maudslay, Crossley, and Park Royal Vehicles.

Thanks Gingerfold, I was almost sure there was a connection there. Also your mention of Crossley, another Australian connection that I mentioned in the Heavy Haulage thread the other day. When I worked in the Queensland back country I used to travel to work on a Crossley railmotor, a Crossley coach body re-mounted on railway running gear. Exactly the same as a bus but the driver had no steering wheel. I have never managed to find a photo though, even on an Australian railway forum.

Hi again,well I think the “thing” on the TK caused the grey matter working :smiley: :smiley: ,heres another bunch of pics,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Dean regarding the sack lifter, in my past I did a week for a mate of mine for Corals on a coal lorry but it was separate to the truck and had a little petrol engine on it and it worked auto like. you stood the contraption buy the side of the truck and one man would dump a bag on the lift plate at ground level and it automatically lifted but you had to be ready at the top to receive it but it saved a lot of ■■■■■■■, never do coal again as you could have three baths and you still would not be clean that dust got in all your clothes, Cheers Buzzer.

DEANB:

windrush:

Chris Webb:

Pete.

I have to agree Pete, it does seem like Chris Webb spent an awful lot of time riding around in other lorries. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I could write a book just about the dodgy neets out I’ve had.Made up for being away all week and weekended in Scotland or South Wales. :grimacing:

bubbleman:
Hi again,well I think the “thing” on the TK caused the grey matter working :smiley: :smiley: ,heres another bunch of pics,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

As always Marcus you do produce some great shots from yesteryear ! I reckon that shot of the new Athersmith Seddon 4 wheeler would be late 50’s maybe very early 60’s. Although Athersmith Bros. ran many Seddons they were actually Vauxhall Bedford Dealers in Barrow-in-Furness and their 4 wheelers were Leyland engined Bedford TK’s which I can remember but the Seddon was from an earlier time. The Athersmith Bros were early supporters and users of the fledgling Seddon Company and Seddons figured predominately in their fleet for many years although they did run Scammell and Leyland 8 wheelers as well as the odd Albion Reiver. Keep 'em coming Mate, Cheers Dennis.

Hi again,great info on Athersmiths Dennis…well done mate,heres another few clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

For some reason I can’t quote your picture or comment, Joeshell, but to answer it, no, what I rode on was much more modern than that, in the 60s of course. Imagine a coach frrom the 30s, 40s or 50s I should think, and I don’t think it rode on a narrow track either.

The photo of the Athersmiths Mk15 Seddon and fitted with either a P6 83 bhp or R6 104bhp series 2 engine. The pic seems to be of a similar batch taken outside the works that are shown in the ‘Some old Seddons’ thread, as Bewick says these came out around 1957 until the early 60’s, a period when Seddon were turning out various different specs and cab styles. Franky.

Hi again,more clippingsCheers Bubbs, :wink:

img179.jpg

Another of Streets Maggie.